Forums Latest Members
  1. watchtinker Sep 6, 2015

I have the sensation that this watch has already been discussed in another thread, but I cannot find it. In such a case, I would be grateful to the forum administrators if they could be so kind to remove the present thread.

In any case, could someone be so kind to spend some words on this assembled timepiece?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...HT-LUG-1964-/291554098177?hash=item43e1fa7c01Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Anyone in the business with a reasonable basket of spare parts could put together a similar sample. Who might be interested in it?

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 6, 2015

The watch is what it is, as described by Michael in the listing. There is no intent to fool anyone into thinking it's a 2915.
    Eleven people have bid on it so far.

michael e, flame and watchyouwant like this.
  3. Davidt Sep 6, 2015

The look of a 2915, with a genuine vintage movement and case, for significantly less than an actual 2915.

I'd think it would interest quite a few people who like the aesthetic of a 2915 but either can't find or afford one, yet find the Omega reissues too clean and modern or too different from the original (in the case of the new '57's).

Plus, although many watchmakers perhaps could do this, the fact is its the only one I can remember seeing that has actually been put together for sale. For someone like me, this removes a huge amount of hassle compared to if I were starting this assembly myself (and by 'myself', I mean sourcing the parts and asking a watchmsker to do it for me).

I think the honesty in the listing also helps. The buyer doesn't have to second guess anything, or go through the watch piece by piece to assess whats original (and from what model) and what's replaced. This inspires confidence in a listing which translates into bids.

michael e and watchyouwant like this.
  4. watchtinker Sep 6, 2015

Thank you for the kind and extensive explanation.
    Even if I have been for well over thirty years in the business, I have never been interested in valuations nor discussed them.
    This operation is not new: I remember a similar watch, albeit with a correct movement, differently from the one on sale, put together and sold for about 2000 USD some four years ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From your words I understand that the old Speedmasters fever is now extending from original pieces to assembled ones and this explains the interest for the indicated watch.

Cheers,

Maurice

5. Davidt Sep 6, 2015

If I were looking for such a piece, the redone lume on the ebay watch would also be a big attraction. Whereas many watchmakers could add new broad arrow hands and dial to an old straight lug movement and case, these would look new and white.

The fact that the ebay watch has had a vintage looking lume applied makes it much more desirable to the one sold a few years ago (although if that were for sale now, I'd wager it would sell for significantly more than 2k).

flame likes this.
  6. watchtinker Sep 6, 2015

In this respect you are probably right.

From http://speedmaster101.com/2015/09/ :
    Early Speedmasters, Calibre 321’s, have all but disappeared from the private sources. .... So prices are now being “set” by dealers and collectors. I believe early Speedmasters are following the pattern of early Rolex Daytonas, and soon the ONLY way to get one will be via a dealer or collectors. This makes pricing harder, as I do not get to hear as many trades.

In the same period of the timepiece shown above, a customer of mine got this 2998-62 for about the same price:

[​IMG]

At the time, given the conditions of the specimen, I judged that the deal was not a good one.

The pattern seems now very much that of art dealers, with all the astonishing ups and catastrophic downs.