I Can't Be The Only One,

There are much better ways to go about this than pretending your family members gave you watches as presents.

"Hey, what's this on the sofa? ...Looks like Santa must have dropped his #ST2! The clasp probably got caught in the damper when he came down the chimney, and the watch fell off when he walked to the cookie plate. I better put it in my watch box and keep it safe for him until next xmas. ...And hey, what's is this over here? Looks like one of the raindeer dropped his solid gold pie pan. Boy, is he going to be worried when he realizes it's not on his leg anymore. I'll keep this safe as well, as I am sure he will really, really want it back. ...And what is that on the floor over in the corner? It looks like ..."

I've done that as well... great minds must think alike!
I ended up at this latest method only because they now expect it -- so even gifts that are actually for them they open fully expecting it to be for me.
Mind-games!

Knowing now it’s a running joke and your not giving your wife a new vacuum for Xmas as you get a watch makes it more humorous than sad.

My wife always bemoans that I am tough to buy gifts for (all my friends too). If I want something, I buy it…doesn’t leave much room for gift giving. And if I can’t afford to buy it, then they sure as shit can’t.

What my wife does do is listen (unlike my friends who just suck at giving gifts and hit Target the week befor ). She listens to the little things I say throughout the year- shit, I need to get one of these, or I broke this- maybe I’ll find a replacement one day- always the little things as I’m always focused on the big things. She’ll notice that I haven’t purchased said replacement item and sure enough- it will appear for a birthday or holiday.

I broke my favorite coffee mug- it was the perfect volume, handle was large enough for me to get my hand into (holding it palm against the mug, thumb out) and the lip was the perfect thickness. I just used the mugs that came with our dinner set after I broke it- but she tracked down a very close replacement.

5E5C18D8-8F56-4794-8F1A-3E696483F205.jpeg
I broke the Lucky Stike ashtray that sits on our front patio table- I liberated that ashtray from a restaurant in NYC in 1996 and it had always sat on my patio table. She tracked down an identical replacement on eBay (and apparently learned they were only made for 2 years as swag to bars from Lucky Strike).
D8D7B0F8-BAAB-4729-8BEA-305EDCC16696.jpeg

My dog chewed up my favorite pair of Dents leather gloves which I had owned for 15 years (were perfectly broken in- ugh!). I was wearing mittens and didn’t bother buying another pair…I got a new pair this year.
0D041E72-0551-4B5D-A690-FB0A9F088298.jpeg

The fact that she listens to me and cares enough to take note of the things I let slide is more meaningful than the most expensive or rare item I can think of.
I do the same for her- not going to innumerate. but to me these are the gifts that truly mean something…I can get my own watches.

Knowing now it’s a running joke and your not giving your wife a new vacuum for Xmas as you get a watch makes it more humorous than sad.

Well it's sad too... the origins for all this are rooted in how terrible her memory can be: the woman not only forgets anniversaries and birthdays but also, in a very unwoman sort of way, forgot our 1st wedding anniversary.
So I bought myself a spendy bicycle frame that year and had it delivered to her job with a note from the manufacturer "This is for your husband from you even though you forgot to actually order it for him nor knew he desired it."
And thus it began...

My wife always bemoans that I am tough to buy gifts for (all my friends too). If I want something, I buy it…doesn’t leave much room for gift giving. And if I can’t afford to buy it, then they sure as shit can’t.

What my wife does do is listen (unlike my friends who just suck at giving gifts and hit Target the week befor ). She listens to the little things I say throughout the year- shit, I need to get one of these, or I broke this- maybe I’ll find a replacement one day- always the little things as I’m always focused on the big things. She’ll notice that I haven’t purchased said replacement item and sure enough- it will appear for a birthday or holiday.

I broke my favorite coffee mug- it was the perfect volume, handle was large enough for me to get my hand into (holding it palm against the mug, thumb out) and the lip was the perfect thickness. I just used the mugs that came with our dinner set after I broke it- but she tracked down a very close replacement.

5E5C18D8-8F56-4794-8F1A-3E696483F205.jpeg
I broke the Lucky Stike ashtray that sits on our front patio table- I liberated that ashtray from a restaurant in NYC in 1996 and it had always sat on my patio table. She tracked down an identical replacement on eBay (and apparently learned they were only made for 2 years as swag to bars from Lucky Strike).
D8D7B0F8-BAAB-4729-8BEA-305EDCC16696.jpeg

My dog chewed up my favorite pair of Dents leather gloves which I had owned for 15 years (were perfectly broken in- ugh!). I was wearing mittens and didn’t bother buying another pair…I got a new pair this year.
0D041E72-0551-4B5D-A690-FB0A9F088298.jpeg

The fact that she listens to me and cares enough to take note of the things I let slide is more meaningful than the most expensive or rare item I can think of.
I do the same for her- not going to innumerate. but to me these are the gifts that truly mean something…I can get my own watches.

Your wife is good people.
My wife does notice little things in a similar way but... she writes notes to herself, forgets them and/or loses them, then I buy that thing for myself and then she fashion-drafts her way onto the gift by saying, "Oh, I was going to get you that too! How'd you know?"

Because I cleaned up all your piles of notes, or found them while cleaning, and ordered it for myself.

...but I'd open a vein for her (and she'd probably push an IV of anthrax into it)... I do love her so.

I dare you to wrap one with “From Tiffany ”

😁😁😁

(As long as your wife or daughter aren’t named Tiffany)

Speakung as an admittedly OCD collector among a bunch of other OCD collectors, the OF membership is probably the last group of people on Earth that should be tasked with evaluating whether someone has a mental health issue. 😀

Speakung as an admittedly OCD collector among a bunch of other OCD collectors, the OF membership is probably the last group of people on Earth that should be tasked with evaluating whether someone has a mental health issue. 😀

I am married, have been married for 25 years (this coming May)... there is zero doubt I am mentally unsound.
Okay, back to gifting watches to ourselves. 😁

I dare you to wrap one with “From Tiffany ”

😁😁😁

(As long as your wife or daughter aren’t named Tiffany)

This I haven't tried... thank you for the idea!

the fact that she listens to me and cares enough to take note of the things I let slide is more meaningful than the most expensive or rare item I can think of.

Well you just saved me a ton of money. I was about to send you a pie pan deluxe for the holidays but now it's gonna be a pair of white socks.

I think you’re the only one bro 😝

The real question here is, what watch does Santa wear?

I envision him with a pocket watch on a chain, from the illustrations by Boyd in the first (1849) publication of A Visit from St. Nicholas. No watch or chain is shown, but there is a pocket in his waistcoat that might suggest a watch belongs in it.