Forums Latest Members

I can now speak from experience..

1. Superdoc Jul 23, 2016

A few disclosures..

I am not employed by Omega,
    I have no vested interest in any watch Brand,
    I do not wear my Penis on my wrist,
    I just love and collect watches...

I have long wondered if there was something on which I was missing out, or failed to appreciate...

But I can say that I now have enough 'heavy hitters' in my collection...

2D9A0671.1.jpg IMG_3891.jpg IMG_3835.jpg IMG_25861.jpg IMG_2785.jpg IMG_0460.jpg IMG_0805.jpg

I can honestly say that all of my Omega brethren should be proud... there's not a single watch that I have or have ever tried, that Omega can't stand next to..

You can argue about loupe scrutiny etc...
    But I think any Omega man can hold his head up high... there's nothing that the Breguet/Patek/VC/Rolex have that the Omegas don't.

If anyone ever says anything about the superiority of other brands... I can honestly say that Omega holds up!

Proudly wear your Omegas!!!

Edited Jul 23, 2016
    mrdata, Jwit, Nitzbar and 12 others like this.
  2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 23, 2016

There's no shame in saying that Omega's finishing is not as well done as Patek or Vacheron, etc. Nor do they offer the same kinds of watches/complications.

Omega does what they do well enough. But they are certainly not on the same level.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 23, 2016

Cough cough street cred cough

Ritzwatch, Fritz and blufinz52 like this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 23, 2016

that accepting gifts from industry should be disclosed too, Doc?;)

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 23, 2016

You may not be wearing your penis on your sleeve but I think...you drop something here!!

Jokes aside I completely agree with you. I think Omega misses the bullseye often (as do other brands) but when they get it right they definitely get it right.

This said...I understand some of the comparison on your list, but not all. not all. Rolex Yes, Patek, Vacheron, Beguet, I am not si sure. Differences between Rolex and Omega are more based on personal taste than technical achievement. Omega is ahead here, Rolex there... But Omega, particularly modern Omega is not exactly artisanal or curated is it?

6. Superdoc Jul 24, 2016

Very good points...
    I am not trying to to detract from the other brands... and of course, Grand complications are another story... so maybe I can only speak from experience based on a certain price point.

But for me, I think that getting the Patek (admittedly an entry level model)... made me put things into more perspective. It was that brand that in my mind seemed to float majestically above all the rest... I can honestly say that the other brands in my collection have made me appreciate the Omegas more.

Part of this is a response to the watch snobs out there, and statements that no one here has ever made...
    But experience has taught that it's so much easier to preach to the choir...

@STANDY 's street credit comment is one that I get a lot...
    Not sure about the rest of you..

I get the "Just an Omega " comment quite often.

All just my opinion, fueled by emotion and different contexts, so please don't take this as any legitimate judgment of watches.... I'm sure I could be made to stand in a corner if someone with technical knowledge of the intricate details of the movements chose to reply....

And I know rolex and Omega make a million watches per year, and PP makes ~40 thousand..

But when they're all side by side by side in the watch box (yes they're all still there)... the Omegas hold their own.
    When the Omega is on the wrist, it feels just as good, sometimes better...

Whenever I show the collection to People who have no contextual knowledge of watches, the blue Aquaterra seems to get chosen most as their favourite...
    Only watch guys reach for the Daytona or the VC.

There's no such thing as "Just an Omega"...

Edited Jul 26, 2016
  7. Sose Jul 24, 2016

That Newman. Wow.

That's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. manivxr Jul 24, 2016

Can you honestly compare a omega to the likes of patek. Vacheron...??
    Got to disagree my friend. Omega has a very special place in my collection but I would draw a line before putting it in the same company as the above.
    Most people have heard of omega, its marketing department makes sure it's a name which is familiar to the masses. A bit like Tag. Mention an omega to Joe Blogs they think bond, moon. Mention Patek Philip to Joe Blogs and you are likely to get a blank look.
    Omega to the masses but certain names mean something only to the connoisseurs.

Btw love your collection.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 24, 2016

That's the tip of the iceberg in the Superdoc vault.

Jwit and OMGRLX like this.
  10. Slipstreamer Jul 24, 2016

In a way the 3603 Frederic Piguet movement found in limited Speedmasters & Seamasters are found in the Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chrono with the split date like the OP's (the newer VC has an in house movement). Movement supplied by Blancpain & also provided to the AP Royal Oak chrono)

OMGRLX likes this.
  11. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Jul 24, 2016

I demand to see the rest of that iceberg! :)

Baz9614 likes this.
  12. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Jul 24, 2016

So, basically many of these high-end watch models are glorified cases and dials with outsourced movements?

13. Slipstreamer Jul 24, 2016

The first Daytona auto movement was supplied by El Primero for a few years until Rolex developed their own.

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 24, 2016

The thing is it matters little to me wether these are in house movements or not, it all comes to about the same anyway.

What matters is that the totality of the watch is given the care and personal attention to make it reach excelence. If a given firm deems the best movement for their watch is xyz then I rather they put that in than give me a crappy in house ( panerai anyone?)

And the case, dial design and finishing are as important to me as the movement. I like watches, not just movements.

Edited Jul 24, 2016
    cicindela, Jwit and manivxr like this.
  15. rcs914 Jul 24, 2016

13 years. '87-2000

Edited Jul 24, 2016
    OMGRLX and wristpirate like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 25, 2016

The Omega movements are based on a different F. Piguet movement, not the same one used in the VC. The 1185 based movements are used by several brands, but I have not come across another brand outside Omega that uses the specific (larger) variant that F. Piguet supplies to Omega.

Cheers, Al

JosephxSxN and Nobel Prize like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 25, 2016

Just to be clear, Rolex modified these so beat rate was reduced to 28,800. I don't believe this was just a "buy and drop it in" type of situation.

Cheers, Al

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 25, 2016

Not sure if this is a serious question or not. But assuming it is, the answer is no, not really. In most cases where companies at this level are using a movement made by another company, they are buying an ebauche, not a finished movement. They take that raw ebauche often discard parts, add their own parts, and do the fine work to complete the movement, including the finishing.

What they do is far from the case stuffing your question implies...

And these companies may use some movements for specific watches that are made by others, but they also make their own movements as well. VC is a good example. moving away from the F. Piguet based movements to their own movement, as Rolex and others have done.

Cheers, Al

marco likes this.
  19. mdgrwl Aug 2, 2016

That's some collection. I agree - Omega is top notch although I don't own a PP or Lange yet - although they are in my sights, I'm not all of the sudden going to dump my Omega's, lol.

20. ncstate1201 Nov 20, 2016

Yeah I agree for the most part but would love to see what Omegas you put up against your heavy hitters you showed there