Forums Latest Members

I am seeking some knowledge

1. LOST Aug 28, 2020

Hi all, I am not a watch expert at all and I am asking any of you who have info on this watch that I bought almost 50 years ago. I have worn it about 10 times over the years and it was always put back in its box. My avatar shows a picture of the watch. It is in perfect condition with all the papers and the two boxes it was sold in.

janice&fred likes this.
  2. YY77 Aug 28, 2020

Welcome, good you set an avatar as a newbie, however is kind of out of focus and small. You best add/insert better pics in a post.

janice&fred likes this.
  3. Canuck Aug 28, 2020

I am certain the papers you have will give you as much or more information than we would be able to, especially considering your avatar is the only picture you are giving us.

4. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

You will need to post larger and better pictures of the watch in question. You can click on options on your post and you will see add photos. If you are using your computer and you have photos of the watch in your computer, simply click on "add photos" and you will be able to select the photos you wish to add to your post. Hold down the shift key if you want to select more than one photo. You can also use your phone, when you click on "add photos" it will bring up a selection, select "phone library" and select the photos you wish to add.

Or provide the information on the papers you have on the watch in question... you can take a picture of the papers too.

janice&fred likes this.
  5. ConElPueblo Aug 28, 2020

It's a LeJour, right?

The go-to place to start will be to simply type "Vintage LeJour Chronograph" in Google and then work through the pages suggested until you find one or two that matches and start reading. That will typically give you a reference number that you can use to narrow down the research with.

Take anything written on a dealer's webpage with a healthy dose of scepticism :)

Farmer and janice&fred like this.
  6. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

Damn... you know your watches. I have never even heard of Le Jour, but did a quick search on Google and yes, it looks like a Le Jour Chronograph. I am not worthy.:thumbsup:

janice&fred likes this.
  7. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

Not helpful

Very helpful

Welcome to the forum and hope you find the info you need. I have an older Lejour chronograph but it's the black anodized version so not much of a match for yours that actually looks much better. Mine resembles a Porsche design but isn't :)

8. LOST Aug 28, 2020

I know it is a Lejour and I have read that it has a very good movement inside. I am interested to know what it is worth today.I will add some pics IMG_5988.jpg IMG_5989 (1).jpg IMG_5990.jpg

flw, WatchCor, 0uss and 2 others like this.
  9. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

I hate to see anyone lose money so I will gladly pay you what it cost you. That's the kinda guy I am! :D

Seriously though I think you might find something similar online that was recently sold on Ebay, or as mentioned a dealer might be listing one but the price might be highly inflated.

10. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

I think the retail slip says $88.20... really think you should make it an even $100.00 taking inflation into account. Hope Lost will be able to determine what it's worth. The condition seems mint with all the goodies.

WatchCor and janice&fred like this.
  11. MRC Aug 28, 2020

I believe its movement is a Valjoux 72, as used in Heuers and Rolexes at the same time (and many other decent makes). So, yes, its a quality movement. 1974? A little late for a Valjoux 72, so it might have been on the jewellers shelf for a while, not that that is necessarily bad. Plenty of spares around and watchmakers who understand Valjoux, so no problems with servicing. However, please do not wind and run it now, the lubricants will have dried up after ~45 years.

You will have no problem selling it, lots of good pictures in the right places, here, Chronocentric and so on. AND I'll give you twice J&F's offer as a "Sell it Now" instant deal. More seriously, wait and hang on for the 100th offer, do not take the first. Or get it serviced and wear it a lot.

Very nice piece, can you tell us where you got the plans for your time machine?

janice&fred likes this.
  12. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

What do you think I'm made of money?

13. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

Found one that was for sale for 2200.00 without bracelet.
    https://shop.hespokestyle.com/products/lejour-chronograph-watch
    "He Spoke Style Shop
    LeJour Chronograph

$2,200.00*· Out of stock
    Curated by our friends at Analog/Shift The Story LeJour, a small French distributor, is best known as a European retailer of Heuer-made chronographs"

Here is another from WannaBuyAWatch sold was asking 2,800
    https://wannabuyawatch.com/product/lejour-chronograph-3-registers-valjoux-7336-circa-1960/

Hope this gives you an idea, considering you have B and P, the condition of the watch and it comes with a bracelet... 2,800 to 3,500? I couldn't find a listing on eBay, but, you can call a vintage dealer or search the internet. It's an attractive timepiece... no question.

14. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

There are two of you, that's only 50 a piece and besides, your Avatar photo, it looks like you're eating in one of those fancy restaurants I've read about.
    Cough it up. ::rimshot::

Walrus and janice&fred like this.
  15. Dan S Aug 28, 2020

I think it's one of the later ones with Valjoux 773x. The Valjoux 72 version typically has the broad arrow hand and I don't see the asymmetric pusher arrangement.

16. MRC Aug 28, 2020

They are two register. I have three :) :) :)

janice&fred likes this.
  17. Dan S Aug 28, 2020

7736 has three registers. Do a good search and you will see that these chronographs came with V7736. As I mentioned the straight hands are generally with 7736 and the broad arrow with V72. Also, look at the pusher positions.

18. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

So you outbid me huh? Some pal you are.

19. Dan S Aug 28, 2020

I just want to point out that as usual there is a typo/error in the WBAW listing. Valjoux 7336 instead of 7736. They may be perfectly fine sellers (insanely overpriced obviously), but their listings are just incredibly sloppy, filled with errors. There's a 50/50 chance of finding an error in any given listing.

I don't generally use dealer asking prices like these as comps. I would prefer to find eBay sales, auction prices, or forum listings. The dealer asking prices (or C24) can give unrealistic expectations, since they are generally 50-100% above what a private seller like the OP can get.

The Valjoux 72 version with broad arrow hand is worth substantially more, in equivalent condition. I agree that the OP watch is at the top of the market for this particular version.

WatchCor and Marsimaxam like this.
  20. MRC Aug 28, 2020

Yeah, you're right. My bad :whipped: