Forums Latest Members

How you prevent your watch lost/teft if drunk out and other beforebuy toughts.

1. ThomasFin Apr 13, 2017

Hi. I am new here and sorry if these questions are already answered here. Please link it for me if old posts find.

I just want to ask your opinion for few questions. I been dreaming to buy new omega seamaster planet ocean soon (215.30.44.21.01.001), but i have some toughts. Been looking your photos and dreaming how i someday spend my time with my new timepiece, looking it every second.

First: How you keep your watch safe when drinking with guys? Do you use your omega when out or do you have second watch for those situations? Just leave it home? Any special straps to keep it safely in your wrist?

Second: Do you use your omega all day, at work or only nights or weekends? I have work, where i have no possibility to use it weekdays (handyman work). Will it be stop in case all week, or should i use it after work at home and when sleeping.

Third: How often your omega goes to service? How much it cost? If using it as i do, not diving etc. extreme.

Thank you so much.

2. ffej4 Survey Man Apr 13, 2017

First question:
    – Don't drink with guys that you think may steal your watch
    – Secure your watch to your wrist with a nato strap and a new, heavy-duty set of spring bars

Second question:
    – It depends on your work and watch. If you're a concrete construction worker, you might not want to wear your watch if you want it to stay in pristine shape. They're built to be used, so unless you're regularly smashing your wrist against stuff, I wouldn't hesitate wearing it. What kind of situations do you want to wear your future Omega in?

Third question:
    – It depends. Most are 4-6 years and range from $400+ if sending to an Omega authorized service center.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 13, 2017

If it's on a bracelet you can have the clasp spot welded shut to prevent theft, unless it's an area where knives are common, in which case it becomes a more costly loss by a significant margin.

SteveZ28, bigdubnick, shishy and 29 others like this.
  4. ffej4 Survey Man Apr 13, 2017

@dsio Significant like... lose an arm significant?

BrianMcKay, sengvin, Uniqez and 3 others like this.
  5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 14, 2017

Depends. I have been focused on getting all of the watches I own serviced. Generally it will be 5 or so years, at least that is my plan for the Speedmasters. And then 7 years or so on the co-axials. The hardest part has been finding a really good watch maker, second is comprehending that a fair amount of cash needs to be set aside to service a large collection.

I am almost complete with maintenance. I just got my Genini4 back from service and then dropped off my Hamilton Super Compressor. That leaves my Mark3 to be sorted. Then I can rest for a couple of years and then resume the cycle.

As far as cost. My speedy was ~$500 and the Hamilton 600 Super Compressor will be ~$300.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 14, 2017

It's a dive watch ( tool watch ).
    It's a rugged watch that should be worn like its stolen. Bracelet would be the best to keep it on.
    Service every 5-7 years seals checked every 2 years would be my opinion

7. ThomasFin Apr 14, 2017

Thank you ffej4.
    Just thinking second watch might be best for those situations. Never know who you might meet even when out with bests friends. But when traveling, maybe some other strap sounds good. No drinking then.

I will not use it when working. What will my customers say when arriving with dirty clothes [emoji23] Just to be sure it lasts lifetime.

That is good range. Mayne every 5years. Here in finland around 600-700€.

8. ThomasFin Apr 14, 2017

Thanx dsio [emoji67]‍[emoji373] That is best solutions. But how you get it off for service [emoji33] Arm lost is better than losing omega. But they will take both ☠️

9. ThomasFin Apr 14, 2017

Ffej4 you mean military grade these? Original omega parts are not as good? IMG_7327.JPG

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 14, 2017

I thought that once a watch needs a service you just sell it on eBay.

jv91, Rodmar, Maganator and 14 others like this.
  11. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 14, 2017

Don't be daft, wear a beater to the pub/rugby tour and save the nice stuff for sobriety.

BrianMcKay, Tritium, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  12. shutterlife Apr 14, 2017

Buy insurance, and don't worry about it. Wear it to work and play.

Tritium, jpizzzle, Jwit and 1 other person like this.
  13. ThomasFin Apr 14, 2017

Thanx Taddyangle. Thats good. Exactly, how to find dealer who you can trust. Prices are little different here. It is like a car. Needs service. It depends how often you want it to be serviced and how you use it. Like my car, i change oils every 10 000km. because i drive alot in cities per day. Just to be sure everything works. Watch is malle machine, but has also parts that can maybe wear to end.

Taddyangle likes this.
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 14, 2017

It also depends on your age, where you live amd work and where you go for fun.

In my case indont have to worry much for the most part as my wild( er) days are behind me and i rarely find myself in out of control situations. It does happen though, for example i ran out of gas driving to Chicago and had to stop at Gary, Indiana to re-fuel. There it was not a matter of the watch, it was the car, the pants, the shoes, the wife.... i trabelnquite a bit amdnive never felt more as a target than there.... perhaps driving in DR.

But if i know im going there then i think ahead.

Edited Apr 14, 2017
  15. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 14, 2017

Ref. to your 1st situation, I wear a fake Omega. If it gets stolen, the jokes on them :thumbsup:

jv91 and Paulomega like this.
  16. ThomasFin Apr 14, 2017

Nobel Prize that is true. I am 35 and one kid, so most party time is behind. Still seeing old friends, so anything can happen. If travelling to europe, i have to think carefully where to go. Here in finland its different.

17. ThomasFin Apr 14, 2017

shutterlife that i will definitely do.

18. ThomasFin Apr 14, 2017

blufinz52 [emoji106]Did not want to say it first, but i have one fake seamaster planet ocean now. I will wear it when meeting friends in bar. So that will work. Just ordered new bracelet for it from china. So the different will not be so big between real and fake in future.

blufinz52 likes this.
  19. pianomankd Apr 14, 2017

....what a weird thread.

Perseus, jv91, Syrte and 7 others like this.
  20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 14, 2017

i rather wear a genuine g shock than a fake anything. Whats the point? There are plenty of great inexpensive watches, why wear a bad fake one?

BrianMcKay, jv91, Maganator and 5 others like this.