Forums Latest Members
  1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 3, 2020

Hi All

I have a bit of a first world problem here. I have a funky watch, with a funky bracelet. They did not come together.

IMG_3378.jpg
    Where is the problem you ask? How is that fit :cautious:

I am pretty adept at using a springbar tool...but this is beyond me. I might be able to get the bracelet installed, with some serious scratches to the backside of the lugs, but there is zero chance of getting it back out again using a Springbar tool (I refuse to use dremels and chainsaws on watches).

It looks as though this bracelet was made for quick-release springbars ::confused2::::confused2::::confused2::

My question is thus : which ones are best? I assume there some with a removable lever? All links welcome!

All serious and not-so-serious advice welcome :)

Edited Jan 3, 2020
    DaveK likes this.
  2. WYO_Watch Jan 3, 2020

On the bright side, think how much money you’ll save having to buy additional straps for the watch :thumbsup:

On a more serious note - I think you’re correct about needing a quick release. Just make sure the lever lines up with the pre cut rectangles. On my leather straps, I slide the majority of the spring bar through the hole and it angles in. Obviously leather is more pliable, but I’m not sure why this couldn’t work here?

eugeneandresson likes this.
  3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 3, 2020

[​IMG]

Best angle I can get...nothing sliding nowhere anytime in the next 1000000 years...

IMG_3383.jpg

DaveK likes this.
  4. WYO_Watch Jan 3, 2020

Can you pull one of the sides up to get the knob/lever/quick release thing in the channel? Then simply fold it back down and leave the quick release in there indefinitely

5. jsducote Jan 6, 2020

Taking a Dremel to the watch isn't an option that you'd consider, but what about taking one to the bracelet? 2mm on each side (perhaps as a 2x2 U-channel) of the underside of the end link would allow you to grab the shoulder of the spring bar, would it not? This bracelet appears to have been intended for a watch with drilled lugs, or some other sort of spring bar that never caught on.

6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 6, 2020

Thats a great idea @jsducote ... I don't believe the stability will be compromised either...I just don't possess a dremel :)
    In the name of 'vintage preservation' I will try and find some springbars which may work, but failing that, your idea (which is somehow out my box) is a good one...thank you.