Forums Latest Members

How well do service replacement luminova hands match the original dial?

1. dtle May 9, 2020

Hello,
    I have a speedmaster automatic from mid 2000s. The hands are beginning to show some oxidation. From what I understand the luminous material on dial and hands is luminova.

I am considering having the hands replaced at service. I know with tritium, the patina on the dial and new hands won't match. When I have the watch serviced, if I have the hands replaced how well would the new service hands match the luminova on the original dial? There has been no degradation of the luminova on the dial.

Thanks for your help

Edited May 9, 2020
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! May 9, 2020

If it’s from the 2000s then both dial and hands are already Super luninova. The match should be perfect since under normal conditions SL doesn’t degrade. What model do you have?

Edited May 9, 2020
  3. Skipper_S May 9, 2020

Share some pictures of the watch so experts here can advice if it’s a good idea.

4. Meme-Dweller May 9, 2020

I've seen some older Speedies with Luminova and service hands. They match perfectly in daylight, but when glowing in the dark, the hands are brighter and last longer than the dial lume. If you want to be absolutely on the safe side, you might as well have them replace the dial too.