Forums Latest Members
  1. Lex4TDI4Life Sep 26, 2012

So I have my eye on a couple of Speedmasters on ebay and want to make sure I get a decent deal. To that end, I have two questions:

1. What are the strongest indicators of a frankenwatch? I know to look for an OEM crown and case back. But how does one match up the serial # on the movement with the rest of the watch?
    2. When I see discussion of redials on this form, it is mostly in reference to Seamasters. Are Speedies as likely to be redialed?
    As a very very new collector, I might be willing to snag a redial if it is cheap enough, but I am still getting my head around the complexity of this obessi, er, um, hobby.
    TIA,
    Lex

2. ulackfocus Sep 26, 2012

With Speedmasters it's more likely that the original dial has been replaced with a later version. The early ones had applied Ω logos while later versions had the logo in white ink. Can't tell you when this changed but I think it was about the same time the 321 was replaced by the 861, meaning around 1968 or so. There's also small tells about the bezel's originality too. There are a few members here very versed in spotting Speedy frankens so wait for them to chime in.

3. Lex4TDI4Life Sep 26, 2012

Can I mention that this is an extremely nerve-wracking hobby? :D Thanks for the input!

4. ulackfocus Sep 26, 2012

I think you just did. ;)

Don't worry, we got your back. Just remember to ask here BEFORE you buy.