Forums Latest Members

How to remove frozen bezel from dive watch

1. Lancaster Feb 3, 2024

I've got a mid 70's Tissot Navigator 44940 dive watch with a frozen bezel. The bottom edge of the bezel is only accessible from 2 areas on the sides of the watch due to the case design. I've liberally dripped penetrating oil in there but after a few hours it still won't budge. I believe it can only be remedied by removing it, but that's more difficult because of the limited access. Any ideas that won't mar the case? 002.jpg 003.jpg

2. peatnick Feb 3, 2024

Dental floss? Work it in and wrap around like a top until bezel frees up?

3. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Feb 3, 2024

Taking it to a watchmaker with proper tools? If it’s that frozen, I wouldn’t want to risk it.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  4. Dan S Feb 3, 2024

One of those pliers-style bezel removers with the split urethane ring. Same way you always remove a rotating bezel.

41JZLsmSGsL._AC_.jpg

Edited Feb 3, 2024
    samweldspoorly, serdal22 and Gabguzro like this.
  5. Lancaster Feb 4, 2024

Doesn't the case design preclude the use of this tool? The dental floss idea is interesting. Could at least work the oil in there better. I'll give that a try.

6. Davidt Feb 4, 2024

Be careful with adding oil. If there’s any gaps where the crystal meets the case, the oil could get to the dial and ruin it

Scarecrow Boat and JimJupiter like this.
  7. spacemission Feb 4, 2024

Improvised tools as a first option.

8. Lancaster Feb 4, 2024

Yes I surmised that as well and have removed the movement and dial.Thanks for that.

9. omegastar Feb 4, 2024

I would use a razor blade to gently remove the gunk.

10. JwRosenthal Feb 4, 2024

As said above, razor blade or dental floss if you can work them into the gap at all- and be careful if using a razor- not just for the case//bezel but your fingers if you slip.

Do not soak the watch unless you pull the movement first (I know- it’s tempting to just let it soak when you hit the frustration level), the back and crown seals can’t be trusted at this point- so no submersion unless just the case.
    You can also try a little Naptha/lighter fluid around the bezel to see if it loosens up the gunk- but as said above, go lightly as you don’t know if the crystal is compromised under the bezel.
    Some may recommend an ultrasonic if the movement is pulled which could work but I always fear it removing or damaging the finish on colored bezels like this.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 4, 2024

I always use one of these.

IMG_0256.jpeg

A watchmaker ;)

12. Lancaster Feb 4, 2024

The floss method is a novel trick and it was working! Floss came out a bit dirty but not as much as expected. After a few minutes I was able to rotate the bezel for the first time since I've owned it. It moved 5 minutes counter clockwise and even made some nice sounding clicks with no grinding. But it was still very hard to turn so I decided to try a thinner floss. Mistake. It tore off on both ends leaving a tiny piece lodged under the bezel. I tried for over 90 minutes to dislodge it with the thicker floss but no luck. Using pliers to pull on the small protruding bit that I could grasp only ripped that portion off so that I could no longer grip any. If I'd stayed with the stronger floss it may have worked, but now I'm pretty much back where I was. I haven't given up though and will be back at it tomorrow since my fingers are raw.

I'm hesitant to try a razor blade. I did consider my ultrasonic cleaner but had the same thought that it might damage the nice bezel insert and perhaps also the crystal and seal. I'd sent a Submarino to my watch maker for a service and I suspect he did an ultrasonic cleaning as the near perfect bakelite bezel insert came back with one of the number damaged. So frustrating and he gave no explanation.

13. Lancaster Feb 4, 2024

Of course, as has been said. But after the first $10k or so doing this the fun kinda wears off. Trying more of my own repairs now with some low dollar watches.

I understand that this is an Omega forum. I'm interested in Omega watches more than any other brand. Tissot merged with Omega long before my watch was made, and its Tissot 2481 movement was also employed by Omega virtually unchanged as their caliber 1481. So I thought I may find some interest and help here. Plus I like this forum and I find the members often more knowledgeable than those preferring more general forums with many members interested in "lesser" watches. No offense to any members at any of those - I'm on those forums too.

I'm sure all here know the term Watchmaking, as this forum is titled, largely refers to watch repairing as most in the profession calling themselves Watchmakers don't actually make watches. Those professionals are highly trained and have their own technical forums to engage in. So most people asking for advice on this forum are hobbyists, collectors, and DIYers either looking for advice and wanting to learn, or giving helpful advice. So I'm surprised when I see posts here, specifically on a watch repair DIY forum, to do the opposite of that and NOT do it yourself. I can see suggesting this if I came on here, perhaps as a newbie, asking something like "how do I service this movement and put it back together". But there are few possible questions about watch repair more basic (though not exactly simple) as mine.

Edited Feb 5, 2024
    serdal22 likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal Feb 4, 2024

Yup! Bakelite in an ultrasonic is a big no-no. The numbers are backpainted and insert is glued in- I won’t even submerge my 50+ year old bakelite bezels as if any of the adhesive has separated (which is more than likely) and water gets under there- you have delimitation.

But your bezel (from the side shot) looks like colored aluminum so soap and water won’t affect the color if you soak it (movement out)- perhaps it may loosen the adhesive of the insert but that can be easily remedied.

edit- just looked at your pic again- Bakelite, no liquid for you!

Try a dribble of Naptha around the base of the bezel and see if that loosens things up. Art conservators use it regularly for grimy funk.

redpcar likes this.
  15. redzer007 Feb 4, 2024

Very unconventional but Ive had success with a guitar pick (plectrum). I have lots of varying thickness lying around. Will not damage a metal would. Sounds frustrating and not the sort of thing id have the sense and patience to leave alone.

16. Lancaster Feb 4, 2024

The movement appears in great shape with no signs of a prior service, and the timegrapher numbers and trace are surprisingly good. But it stops running after a few minutes. Movement servicing aside from timing adjustments and other minor procedures is beyond my scope so this will be going to my watchmaker regardless.

Thommas and JwRosenthal like this.
  17. JwRosenthal Feb 4, 2024

Just be sure to remind them of no ultrasonic for the bezel! I remind my watchmaker every time and he laughs- yeah, yeah- I know.

serdal22 and Lancaster like this.
  18. Dan S Feb 4, 2024

I'd like to see the Submariner with a Bakelite bezel.

19. Lancaster Feb 4, 2024

Submarino, not Submariner.

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 4, 2024

OK well then hit the gap with a pressure washer…works on seized up fishing reels.
    Fix these regularly, and nothing gets a seized part de-gunked better than a bit of water from a pressure washer. Just one of the cheaper Karcher ones should do.

samweldspoorly, JimInOz and fiberguy like this.