Forums Latest Members

How to read watch machine numbers

1. Aqw1942 Sep 17, 2017

is there a thread on what the numbers mean?

So are the numbers meaningful in general or only relative to what the watch's specifications are?

I was given some numbers but don't know what they mean:

+5 s/d
    309 degrees
    0.0 ms

52 degrees
    12s

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Andy

2. billythekid Sep 17, 2017

the numbers regard the watches accuracity.. as a few watches can gain time or lose time

3. Aqw1942 Sep 17, 2017

Sorry. I should have searched YouTube as the answers were there!

Question though in the 309 degree amplitude. Does that seem low and possible weak mainspring?

4. ChrisN Sep 17, 2017

Most of the YouTube information is dubious and is not a good way to understand. Have a read of the first 20 pages of this and it'll give you an idea. But, it will raise questions that you probably will not understand easily.

Use Google to search for "Witschi training course" and the first hit should be a pdf.

A one position reading, probably at full wind, like you've been given is more or less meaningless as you'll discover.

Regards, Chris

Aqw1942 likes this.
  5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Sep 17, 2017

When Mickey's big hand is on the five and his little hand is on the twelve....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

and for those who couldn't figure that out... its time for a pint.

Pvt-Public and dougiedude like this.
  6. ChrisN Sep 17, 2017

You are clearly a Watchmaker @Fritz so have unfair extra knowledge:D Here's Mickey helping with some hairspring adjustment but we get confused about big and little hands:)

5ish.jpg

Cheers, Chris

Timmert, Fritz and dougiedude like this.
  7. Aqw1942 Sep 17, 2017

Chris,

Excellent lesson in my newb watch education! Perfect!

So it would appear on the surface the watch is healthy. As you say though a longer run and in different positions would tell a fuller truth but for what it is, this looks good.

Thanks again for the schooling

Andy

8. ChrisN Sep 17, 2017

It probably is Andy but, you'll have noticed that the lift angle is an input and is related to the design of that calibre movement. So, it depends on the watch. If this were a calibre like a 321 Speedmaster, then the lift angle is very wrong on the tester and the real amplitude would be more like 230-240 degrees. If that were in dial up at full wind, then it is poor.

Like you say, more tests and info needed but you will understand some of it:thumbsup: Is this a watch you're looking to buy or your watch after a service?

Cheers, Chris