Forums Latest Members

How to purchase my first Speedmaster Professional

1. okgabriel Jun 17, 2019

I have been fascinated with the Speedmaster Professional for many years.

I know a lot of this journey is personal preference, but I would love any advice y'all have to offer. What did you wish someone told you before you purchased your first Speedmaster? There is quite the price difference between in store vs online. Are there any major advantages of purchasing in store?

I was born in 1985. I am nostalgic with numbers, does anyone go that route?

If my research is correct, if I am not looking pre- 1967, would my choices then be pre or post 1997? 861 Vs. 1861?

I am not in a rush to make this purchase.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

What do I have to do to be able to post on the 'wanted to buy' thread?

Thank you!

Gabriel

2. CJpickup57 Jun 17, 2019

Welcome to the forum! I will help first with guiding you to here for rules/guidelines: https://omegaforums.net/threads/ple...s-rules-for-all-listings-inc-parts-wtb.62372/

Specifically to answer your question about what is required to post a WTB thread:

Requirements to list or Post Replies in the Private Sales or WTB Section:
    • Minimum post count of 200 posts is now required to post in ANY of the sales or WTB forums. These are expected to be normal contributing posts, attempts at "post farming" will get the offender banned
    • Keep all communication to PM in respect to a deal rather than email. You can of course openly discuss the item in question publicly.

Good luck in your hunting and hope you find a real beauty from your birth year!

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 17, 2019

You need 200 posts to sell or start a WTB
    ( if you like something you can buy before 200 posts by PMing the seller )

Welcome aboard.

Set a avatar and tell us a bit about yourself and show us a few watches.

In no time you will be able to post there.

Plenty of side threads to join in on.

Some advice
    I went the buy new (in 2013) and make my own vintage.
    Most second hand will need a service so factor that in on the price.
    PM George @Kringkily

image.jpeg

Millenary Watches likes this.
  4. ext1 Jun 17, 2019

In-store (aka OB I assume) it's more for if you are willing to spend a bit more to have a good relationship with some staff or if you like the experience or etc.

Yes many people hunt for birth year speedys. 1985 would be cal 861.

[​IMG]

Buying a book like MWO (Moonwatch Only) will help.

As others have said, yes you need to follow the rules to post a specific WTB.

5. Passover Jun 17, 2019

Hi Gabriel,

just recently bought my first Speedy 145.022.
    Take a look at different models up to present times and do what your heart tells you.
    If you want to get infos for the pre 1978 period visit http://speedmaster101.com/ for basic reading.
    WTB post only form 200 posts, sorry!
    Take a look at the private watch sale here on the forum
    https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/

Good hunting

6. okgabriel Jun 17, 2019

Thank you for the quick feedback! I am a private helicopter/fixed wing pilot currently working on my instrument ratings. It may take quite a while for me to reach the 200 threshold, but I understand it entirely eliminates spam from taking over. It's nice to see activity on this forum! If anyone else would like to chime in, I'll be checking in. I am open to hearing all of your stories of acquiring your first Speedmaster. Thanks again!

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 17, 2019

What's your budget ?

8. okgabriel Jun 17, 2019

I have seen such an array of pricing out there. I know what "new" costs. I'm not interested in rare or new old stock condition, but also don't want one that's thrashed. What's a reasonable range I'll need to spend? The closest thing I have to compare pricing to is photography equipment. I know the going rate for Camera A is $1,000, which can be had for $900 if someone needs the money, but also can be found for $2500 by someone looking to catch a hungry bass with no knowledge of the market value.

9. whyboddau Jun 17, 2019

You’ll want to narrow down your choices and figure out what you like. I was gifted a new Speedy in 2012 then went in to buy a birthyear Speedy recently. Each have different qualities and of course different meaning. It isn’t everyone’s route but I bought my birthyear off eBay. As stated above, reputable sellers are on forum and may answer PMs. An 861 from the 80s is a solid bet! Have fun with your search!

10. Millenary Watches Jun 18, 2019

Welcome!
    First, you want to begin by deciding which Speedy you want. Obviously, if you are looking for a vintage/birth year one, the Omega Boutique won't be an alternative, thus, you directly know you need to be looking at the pre-owned/secondhand market.
    Secondly, are you prepared to pay extra to buy from an authorized retailer/boutique? If yes, great, if no, great. Now you know where to look.

Hope it helps!