Forums Latest Members
  1. dkennyken Feb 4, 2014

Hi, can anybody recommend a relatively cheap crystal remover/refitting tool equivalent to tool 107.

I want to open up my vintage seamaster to have a proper look at the movement but want to be sure I don't damage the case/bezel or the crystal itself (crystal is original with omega stamp in the middle).

Also is this task relatively simple?
    Or is it a pain to do.

I have seen the ones on ebay that have lots of teeth that grip the crystal, are these any good and can you fit the crystal back in using these?

Here's some pictures of the grippers I've seen and the watch I want to open.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 4, 2014

I use a very thin and sharp knife and work slowly around the bezel first.

On some models, crystal diameter is larger than the bezel and you can remove the crystal by lifting the bezel up. Make sure you work slowly and evenly around it first.

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 4, 2014

I find such a tool is effective for crystal removal. But for replacing the crystal, not so good on these Omegas! That's how I found out: worked great on my Wittnauers for on/off, but not "on" for my Omegas.
    I bought a cheap crystal press from Harbor Freight Tools (in US, forgot to see where you are before typing). I found the plastic disk that is just smaller than the diameter of the crystal worked best.
    As an amateur, I don't recommend the procedure. On the other hand, how else do you get to be a pro? ;)

Mothra likes this.
  4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 4, 2014

The tool pictured works well for removing the crystal, but not that easy to put it back on. For this I would use a crystal insertion tool such as the crystal press mentioned above. I will point out that over the years I have found that the cheaper the toll, the more likely you are to damage your watch. Simply put, the cheaper tools are usually not as sturdy and don't have the tolerances the more expensive tools have. It's a tough decision, but I would go for the higher quality tools and practice on cheap watch you don't care about. I picked up a 107 on eBAY a few years ago for a reasonable price. As far as an insertion tool I would go with a BB style press.

connieseamaster likes this.
  5. dkennyken Feb 4, 2014

Thanks all, much appreciated, yes maybe it's worth spending a little more.
    Not worth ruining my watch...

6. rolexfantastic Feb 4, 2014

I would not use knives to open crystals. You may not notice, but it can get easily scratched...

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 4, 2014

That's the difference between the experienced and inexperienced.

CanberraOmega likes this.
  8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 4, 2014

I haven't ruined one yet! And I have used it a whole four times in the two years I have owned the tool.

So if you're moving into watch repair where you may use it a couple times a month, spend away! I just can't justify the cost of a pricey tool (and the difference between Swiss Bergeon and Made-in-India is kinda huge).

If you really don't want to risk ruining your watch, why not risk having a experienced professional do it?

dkennyken likes this.
  9. dkennyken Feb 4, 2014

That's the problem, I don't trust anybody else with it lol.
    I have a few vintage watch repair books that may come in handy:)

I do also have an interest in getting into watch repair but don't seem to have the time with work and family life.

I've worked in workshops all my life so think I have the necessary skills to open it up just as long as my tools and info are correct. ;)

10. rolexfantastic Feb 4, 2014

This is generally when it happens to get the watch screwed up..

11. Habitant Feb 4, 2014

How I long for the relatively tame topic of counterfeit buckle tangs....

CanberraOmega likes this.
  12. dkennyken Feb 4, 2014

Best practicing first with something I don't mind breaking eh.
    Not gonna rush into it, may get a watch repairer to open it up for me for now and have a go after alot of practice lol.

13. ketiljo Feb 4, 2014

I usually remove the crown and blow the crystal out with a blower. Insert with a crystal press.

GeorgeT11 likes this.
  14. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 4, 2014

Sounds aggressive! Seems like pinions would break, springs would bend, and gears would swap positions...
    Think I'll stick with my crystal lift. Plus it looks medieval!

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 4, 2014

Ditto.

It's a well accepted method used by many watchmakers and I also use it.

However, for my Omegas I use the correct crystal lift tools that I picked up on eBay a while ago.

Here are my crystal lifts and the pump for "poppin", and the press I use to put the crystal back in.

P1030105.JPG P1030106.JPG

dkennyken likes this.
  16. rhetoric Feb 4, 2014

Wow Jim! do you really know what you're doin'? :eek:

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 5, 2014

well, I do now ;)

My first attempt to open a unishell case (a COSMIC 2000) ended in disaster.

I studied this guide and thought, "OK, not too hard".

I didn't have a compressed air source but suddenly thought "hang on, there's one in my bike tools.

Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 7.03.09 pm.png

I tried a couple of test runs and was confident I could gently pressurise the case, so off I went.

Unfortunately, using one hand to open the valve as well as hold the adapter to the crown tube, while the other hand hold the watch, robs one of a certain amount of dexterity and finesse. My gentle attempt to introduce air into the watch resulted in a sudden blast that shot the watch out of my hands and the glass, caseback, dial and other parts went into the ether.

I spent about four hours looking for bit and pieces and eventually found them all, even the missing dial markers.

It was a huge learning curve :D

gdupree, PHPHD, BenBagbag and 7 others like this.
  18. rhetoric Feb 5, 2014

Good and salutory story!:thumbsup:

19. Dablitzer Feb 5, 2014

I'm scared of unisHELL cases!! :unsure:

20. Hijak Feb 5, 2014

I only wear mine on Halloween!;)