Forums Latest Members
  1. ASJ Jan 20, 2019

Hi Members,
    Just to ask, how can one tell if the main spring is broken?
    Does it is still able to wind and how does winding feel if the main spring is broken?
    Just curious to know. And all knowledge shared is much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Faz Jan 20, 2019

If you can wind your watch without the crown stopping at one point, that would be a clear indication combined with a "clicking" feel where the main spring is broken. Also a short power reserve is also a giveaway.

Cheers

3. bristnj Jan 20, 2019

Agree with @Faz. If winding does not have a stopping point as normal, just continues to turn, it’s broken.

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  4. ASJ Jan 20, 2019

Noted. Thanks guys for the information.
    So to summarize;
    • watch can still turn with clicking sound even with broken spring.
    • but doesn’t come to a stop and still turn.
    • losing precious time

Thanks guys

Foo2rama and bristnj like this.
  5. Philou Jan 20, 2019

if you pay attention, you can usually also hear the tension releasing after a couple of winding turns.

bristnj likes this.
  6. ASJ Jan 21, 2019

That is if the main spring is broken?

7. Chewbakkka Jan 21, 2019

Yes, you hear it clicking and it unwinds itself again. Your power reserve will be very low as well

8. ASJ Jan 21, 2019

Phew... yes, there’s the normal lovely clicking sound when I turn, and I am still able to feel the tension that stops me from giving it one more turn. So I hope my watch is safe. :)

9. redzer007 Jan 21, 2019

Why were you concerned it was broken initially?

10. ASJ Jan 21, 2019

Yes in a way. Coz am not sure to what extend does the winding comes to a stop. So just to be cautious before I brake the main spring.

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 21, 2019

Let the watch run down so the spring is fully unwound.

Then wind with your preferred hand (normally right fingers) and get the feel for the first few turns of the crown. Listen for, and get the feel of the "click" (the little "ratchet" that keeps tension on the barrel).

As you wind further (over 30 "winds") you will feel the tension increasing and then there should be a definite stop. Your watch is fully wound and the mainspring isn't broken.

However.............

If you start to wind from dead stop, and as you progress you hear or feel an unusual click, or sometimes it may be a small "whizz", then that could indicate a broken mainspring.

12. ASJ Jan 21, 2019

That’s cool advice and noted :) all good and clear :)

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 7, 2019

Only one symptom you need to check - if the crown keeps winding forever, the spring is broken.

All the other stuff mentioned is not nearly as certain, so the winding may or may not produce clicking or whirring wounds, the power reserve may or may not be shorter, etc. It all depends on where the mainspring breaks. I've had watches come in with broken mainsprings where the balance amplitudes were all good, and the watch ran for the full power reserve, and the spring had broken at the tang end rather than at the barrel arbor.

If it breaks at the barrel arbor, the watch likely won't run at all.

Cheers, Al

Waynepjr likes this.