Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 8, 2012

So I was hanging out with some guys that were somewhat keen watch collectors, not the loony kind we have here, but blokes with some money and an inclination towards timepieces. There were a few APs, a Patek Calatrava, many Rolexes and my Omega. I'm asked by my brother to come over and tell a mate of his what I think of his Panerai.

Now for background, this guy is a property developer, a pretty big deal, owns several resorts, housing estates and so-on. Also a very serious guy, great heart, but you get the distinct impression that his enemies don't last long.

So this is a picture of the watch I'm looking at, see if you can spot the problem:

09c303d5.jpeg

So this is how the discussion goes:

Me: Can you take that off your wrist mate so I can have a closer look?
    Him: (quizzical look) Ah yea I guess

*hands me the watch*

Me: Where did you buy this?
    Him: I got it from the AD here on the Gold Coast
    Me: You sure about that?

Him: Shit mate you're starting to scare me, yea its not fake or anything

*I wind the crown to see if the power reserve works*

Him: You're just winding me up mate there's no way its fake
    Me: Well yea just a sec
    Him: Come on what can be wrong with it?

*holds it up for him*

Me: See how it says "Luminor GMT" on the dial?
    Him: Yeap?
    Me: Why isn't there a GMT hand?

*he takes it out of my hand, looks at it up close from every angle*

Him: What the F*CK!?!?
    Me: You see what I mean?
    Him: Where the F*CK IS MY GMT HAND?!!?

My Brother: BAHAHAHAHAAHA YOU BOUGHT A FAKE YOU SILLY BASTARD

Me: Well that or something's up is all
    Him: I'm going to find those bastards, and I'm going to kill the pr*cks
    Him: How the F*CK can an AD sell a fake?!?
    Me: Has it ever been serviced?
    Him: ... Actually yes once, it was dropped not long after I got it and it was sent away for servicing by the AD that sold it to me
    Me: Ah yea dude, might want to ask them if they had any parts leftover after servicing it...

*puts it back on his wrist*

Him: I'm going to get the boys, and head around there first thing tomorrow, and they're either going to give me a new watch or my $8.5k back.

2. a1watch Mar 8, 2012

He didn't notice his 2 time zone watch only had 1 time zone. I guess he just wears one to show off huh

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 8, 2012

Thing with these Panerais is there are like 200 of them that all look nearly the same, when you go to an AD they can special order or you can buy off the shelf, and they usually only have a couple in stock. This guy wanted a Luminor with the 1950 3 day automatic movement, and liked the power reserve so he went for it. This model is actually called a PAM321 and the GMT hand is small, subtle, and very hard to read as there are no hour markers, its very easy to miss, especially if you'd just bought the watch and only got it back after a few months at servicing not long after original purchase.

4. Steve Mar 8, 2012

Panerai-PAM-321-Luminor-1950-44mm.jpg
    Still you would expect an AD to notice a spare finger sitting on his work surface.. Its not like he's a amateur mechanic doing a service on a car and having some nuts and bolts left over in his dish when he's finished ??..:D

5. a1watch Mar 8, 2012

:):):):)

6. ulackfocus Mar 8, 2012

For a second I thought you were talking about the Apple logo on the dial. :D:p:D:p

Tell him to get a picture of the movement and post it here. That'll end the fake or real debate.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 8, 2012

Its definitely real, the movement looks entirely legit and the power reserve etc all work correctly.

8. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 8, 2012

The AD in question is well-known, international. I wonder who did the actual service work?

He could always swap the GMT for something more unique, like the Jules Vern rice-cooker edition. :rolleyes:

9. Muttley Mar 16, 2012

I thought you meant where is the 'e' in Reserve???
    Seriously.... where is it?

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2012

The power reserve hand has a tail on the back end of it like a counterbalance, and that's what's covering it up.

11. Muttley Mar 16, 2012

Ahh, I see. Thanks for that.

12. Ivan1998 Mar 23, 2012

Any update on this funny story?

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 31, 2012

Turns out... the GMT hand was hidden under the 24H hand, so when he went off on the store, it had re-emerged and he just looked looked like a psycho lol

14. Donut Mar 31, 2012

I was going to say...the Panerai GMT's with the inhouse movements have GMT's that are 12 hours around the dial and some have an AM/PM indicator of one sort or another. You have the ability to set the GMT at the same time as the home time and thereby hide the GMT hand behind the hour hand.

[​IMG]

15. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank May 30, 2012

Turned down the purchase of two of these a few weeks back due to the fact I had never seen one of these in a rose gold configuration with a band in the same material. (The band tested false for gold.)

The other was all stainless but the printing did not look right under a 20X loupe, too fuzzy on the edges.