Forums Latest Members

HOW TO HAVE MY WATCH VERIFIED WITH PAPERS?

1. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Aug 26, 2015

As many of you may remember, I have a Seamaster XVI and have owned it since the late70's. I have a big zero rating on Ebay and nowhere near enough posts here to sell. Where can I send my watch to have it evaluated and rated so as to add some credibility to the piece. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Rich

IMG_20150314_123925_150.jpg
  2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 26, 2015

This is a desirable piece I'm sure would have interested parties looking to buy. I doubt your inquiry is designed to skirt the forum rules and solicit Personal Messages (ahem), so perhaps ask the Moderators if an exception or accommodation can be made? Good luck.

PatrickJ, Buckeyes#1 and Nobel Prize like this.
  3. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Aug 26, 2015

I thought I had that set up once. Things did not work out because of a logistics problem that arose. I can't blame him as he went back home to his fiancée. I will not subvert the rules here. I was willing to send them the watch to verify that it is what it is. Just looking for another way to make this work. More pics can be seen at
    Omega Seamaster XVI finally has come out of sock drawer.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 26, 2015

My thoughts...

On ebay, you just need to post clear pictures and a detailed description of the watch. No one is going to give much credit to an "evaluation" or appraisal. Let the watch speak for itself.

If you are worried about not getting what you feel the watch is worth, you can always post a fixed price (do your research first) and accept offers.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 27, 2015

Agree. Most important thing is good photos.

You could also add a photo of the watch on a piece of paper with your eBay id written on it. That proves you do actually have the watch in your possession.

Darlinboy likes this.
  6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 27, 2015

Where do you live? Selling it to a bricks and mortar store is an option. Some also take watches on consignment.

Darlinboy likes this.
  7. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Aug 27, 2015

I live 50 miles north of Columbus Oh. We joke that it is the intersection of corn and bean. I have seen on auctions house sites where they rate the item on some kind of sale. This watch is pretty nice and should get a fairly good rating. Who does that type of stuff besides the auction houses?

8. italy1861 Aug 27, 2015

A little surprised nobody on this forum has contacted you through PM with an offer....

9. ulackfocus Aug 27, 2015

I think there have been PM's sent.

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 27, 2015

An extract of archives might be a nice selling point. They don't say much anymore but can demonstrate some authenticity..

Hijak likes this.
  11. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Aug 30, 2015

As I am still a total novice, what in the world is an "Extract of archives?"

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 30, 2015

13. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Aug 30, 2015

Thank you oddboy. However, what is CHF 120 in USD. But then I looked to the side and "US Customers:Extract of the Archives currently not available."

Oh well, do people actually get their watches certified?

14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 30, 2015

The US price is currently $150. You can request a form from Omega U.S.A. customer service. The form, once completed, will be forwarded to Bienne for processing, will take a few weeks - five last time I ordered one.

I like to have an extract for my own records. If you are buying it only to supplement the sale, IMO it is not worth the expense. The extract is not proof of current authenticity, only information on the watch when it left the factory and many things could have been changed since then.

oddboy likes this.
  15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 30, 2015

1- I believe there are some workarounds to the US costumers restriction. Never done it so not sure of the specifics but do a search as I remember the issue coming up before
    2- Not many people get their watches certified. Normally you just place on eBay a statement accepting returns if watch is not authentic or misrepresented. This said there are places like Aaron Faber that will authenticate for a gee ($90). But honestly, for vintage pieces good pictures of movement and case should suffice.

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 30, 2015

Not really. They will just say where the watch was originally delivered and some general information about the model. If there is a large discrepancy between the archives on the movement and the time frame of the model, Omega may refuse to issue the extract. However, these instances are rare and I highly doubt this will be an issue with your watch.

For a watch of this condition and possible desirability, I would recommend two things:

1. Call your closest Omega Boutique (closest one to you would be in Pittsburgh) and place the order for the Extract with them. In the USA, this cannot be ordered over the internet due to legal restrictions. Find out if there is a watchmaker on duty there (they are starting to hire in-house people in the larger Boutiques). If so, they can at least inspect the watch and give you an idea on condition and timekeeping.

2. Contact the local office of one of the major auction houses with pictures of your watch. See if you can meet with a watch appraiser then next time one is in your area. They should be able to give you an idea of what to expect in an auction setting. Remember that you have to pay them 20% to 25% in fees off the final sales price.

Please be advised that no one can "certify" anything over the internet. If you really want that level of assurance, you are going to have to consult an expert at the Omega Museum in Switzerland. They will need to see your watch in person, and even then, they will never give full assurance. Nothing in life is certain, so anything you receive from Omega or a 3rd party is only a statement of opinion.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

17. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Aug 30, 2015

So much for that idea.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

18. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 30, 2015

19. cvs Oct 19, 2015

Received this today from Omega in NJ. Just the form they want you to use when requesting the extract.

OMEGA Extract of Records Form_Page_1.png OMEGA Extract of Records Form_Page_2.png