Forums Latest Members

How to diagnose a magnetized wrist watch

1. john_coburg Jul 16, 2020

Afternoon all,
    I have a piece that is running fast by a couple of minutes a day, and believe this could be caused by it having been 'magnetized' at some point. i have procured a cheap'n'cheerful 'demagnetizer' from eBay, but before i let it go with my watch, is there a way of telling whether my watch is actually magnetized? I believe there is an app for the iPhone/IOS, but not for Android... is there any truth in this?
    Many thanks indeed.
    20200715_190107 (1).jpg

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 16, 2020

Here's my tried and true solution - if you think it's magnetized, then demagnetize it. If it slows down, it was magnetized, and if it doesn't it wasn't.

Secondary advice - ignore anyone who tells you to buy or use a compass. You are not going to hurt a watch by demagnetizing it, so if you suspect it's magnetized there's only one thing you need to do...

Cheers, Al

3. john_coburg Jul 16, 2020

Just what i wanted to hear. Thank you vm.

4. Dan S Jul 16, 2020

I use the Lepsi app, and I believe it's available for Android. Have you checked? As @Archer mentioned, a compass won't work, since it will respond to unmagnetized ferrous metal.

5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 16, 2020

While we're on the subject of magnetism Al , could it cause a watch to lose time, ie ten minutes an hour?

6. john_coburg Jul 16, 2020

Can't see it in Android... but i can see people have looked for it! might be that not all Android phones have magnets in them..

7. amcclell Jul 16, 2020

Hi Everyone, I am in the market for a cheap de-magnetizer if there is one available that works well. Can anyone recommend a particular model or source? There's one that shows up in a number of retail sources for $20-30 that is a small blue box with a red button.

8. john_coburg Jul 16, 2020

Hmmm, i went ahead and did it, and my watch stopped!

9. john_coburg Jul 16, 2020

A good shake, and it's working again.... but still seems to be 3mins fast per day, according to the Timegrapher. So either it wasn't magnetized, or i did it wrong. The technique is hold it over the demagneizer for [10?] seconds and slowly lift up, all while holding the button 'on' ...?

10. Dan S Jul 16, 2020

Those are very basic, but they do the job for occasional use, and that's what I have. Watch a YouTube video to see how to use them (you need to start with the watch near the device and then move it away). Obviously you can spend a lot more for a more professional and full-featured device that automatically ramps down the field strength.

amcclell likes this.
  11. ChiefMark Jul 16, 2020

OUCH.
    Did you remember to let the watch stop entirely before demagnetizing? As in, let it run entirely down so that it's stopped?

Did you very slowly move your watch away from the demagnetizer while it was on, or did you perchance place the watch on it, activate it, and then turn it off while the watch was still in the field?

Since it's already stopped, you might as well try again.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 16, 2020

Generally speaking, magnetism causes watches to run fast. However I've seen some that were magnetized to such a degree, that the balance spring was bunched up enough that the watch would barely run, so it can cause some odd things at times. So yes it's possible, but usually it makes them run fast.

Magnetism isn't just about timekeeping, as it can cause issues with chronographs and all sorts of things.

13. Dan S Jul 16, 2020

There are other reasons that the watch can be running very fast. For example, there could be oil or dirt in the hairspring.

14. john_coburg Jul 16, 2020

Ah, no i didn't. It was running. I didn't realise i needed to let the mainspring unfurl. I moved it away over 2-3seconds - maybe too quick?

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 16, 2020

Yes. Place it on the demag, press the button, hold it and move the watch away slowly (as far as your arms will reach) then release the button.

You don't need to let it stop. But you did move it too quickly. Note that some demagnetizers are not that strong (the cheap blue Chinese versions) so you may have to do this a few times to see any effect.

Cheers, Al

Vitezi, amcclell and ChiefMark like this.
  16. ChiefMark Jul 16, 2020

@Archer The new things I learn reading your posts... worth the price of admission every time. I was obviously operating under the assumption that an internet myth was true about needing the watch to be at rest for demagnetizing. Thanks for disabusing me of that error.

Muddlerminnow likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 16, 2020

Yes I've heard the theories surrounding this before, but in school I was taught to actually have it running. I've demagnetized watches both ways, with no ill effects.

ChiefMark likes this.
  18. john_coburg Jul 16, 2020

Thank you vm, Al. I've tried a couple of times, and i'm still at ~+3mins... so it must be something else, possibly something Dan mentioned.

19. Canuck Jul 16, 2020

For those who might attempt to demagnetize a balance wheel/hairspring unit while it is OUT of the watch...........DON’T ATTEMPT IT!

Dan S likes this.
  20. amcclell Jul 16, 2020

Thanks Dan, it happens about once a year, so I'll try one of the cheap ones first.

Thanks Al for the clarification and instructions. Always informative and interesting!