Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 24, 2013

Buck, I think your two responses (of course taken in the correct humour, you can see I can stir with the best of them) demonstrates that franken society that the US is. Far too many Americans woldn't understand the significance British rule (did you know that the British film, The Madness of King George III was released in the US as The Madness of King George, because the studio was concerned people wouldn't go, as they had missed the 1st and 2nd part of the trilogy), and focus instead on the american exceptionalism and manifest destiny.

A friend of mine was in the UK a few years back, at the British Museum, looking at one of the originals of Magna Carta, and an American tourist said (far too loudly) "look, they copied it off the Bill of Rights" ::facepalm2::

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 24, 2013

There is much truth in what you say, but I have to articulate the reverse of the coin. In my trip to Australia last November (which I enjoyed thoroughly, and left with much respect for the Ozzies) I was astonished at how anglocentric it was in my professional field. Now, in this particular field, no innovation of any note has come out of the UK since the early 1970s, and the state of the art is far ahead in North America, the Scandinavian and German-speaking countries and Japan. The anglocentrism was backward-looking and rather strikingly handicapping, to the extent that - compared to their colleagues who trained in the UK - North American-trained Australian professionals were stigmatized in a surprisingly snobbish way (for a country that did not strike me as otherwise all that steeped in class-consciousness), and their drive to innovate was stymied. They had to step very carefully if they wanted to avoid being marginalized professionally, and all felt frustrated and constrained by it. Not saying it's all like this of course (how would I know?) but It struck me as so very odd that a country on the other side of the globe with manifestly different priorities and a vibrant economy would hobble itself with this type of sclerotic thinking.

It all led me to a moment of revelation: you can roll your eyes at the lack of sophistication and historical consciousnesses but bring on the frankens, for they are also the innovators, the uninhibited, the energetic and the forward looking!

UncleBuck likes this.
  3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 24, 2013

can I ask what field you are in?

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 24, 2013

Medicine. I'm only talking about my little area of it.

Hope I haven't been offensive here - take it as more stirring;)

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 24, 2013

Great one, Lou. I was in the Army the same time that was showing and it's hilarious that my avatar is shown in the clip.
    Daniel, we better stop or the mod's are going to get us! Good fun, though.
    Buck

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 24, 2013