Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 23, 2013

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2013

I know its just sickening... We actually have had several people come on here having bought them and I hate having to tell them about it every time.

What's EVEN WORSE though is that the Patek Philippe pocketwatch conversions are selling for over $3,000 each... its mind boggling

3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2013

It's a shame Nelson Muntz had to show up too. The OP was probably feeling bad enough already :(

4. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2013

People like that OP are the reason those SOB frankenmasters stay in business. P.T. Barnum was right on the money.

Nice Simpsons reference! :p

NT931 likes this.
  5. woodwkr2 Mar 23, 2013

The Polish too. Take a look at this sweeeeet exhibition "dial" on the bay: herePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I messaged the seller and said that I may be interested as I could use a calibre 262 for parts, but said that I would not buy from a dishonest seller. This was the response:

"Please do not say that I'am dishonest seller,This watch is part of my friend collection,he has uncle who was a watchmaker in schwitzerland.I have to admit that I firstly though that is just like You say watch without dial,but he assure me that is original and I do not have any doubt that he is not saying the truth.He also show me old Universal ads. and boxes.
    You do not have to buy it but do not consider me as a cheater.
    Have a nice day

- anatan66"

::puke::

6. woodwkr2 Mar 23, 2013

Note the magic marker "bluing" on the hands. That's a nice touch.
    And the recent servicing... I guess that explains all of the visible dirt in the movement.

7. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2013

Oh yeah, I need that one. ::facepalm2::

Too bad the dial isn't present - it would have given us a hint on the shield / wheel question.

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 23, 2013

Wonder how much the going rate for old pw's etc. would go if the Ukranians et al didn't snap them up.
    Should we take the moral high ground, pronounce ourselves judge and jury and refuse to sell to certain countries, someone else will and the genuine collectors (there must be some) in these countries lose out.

9. woodwkr2 Mar 23, 2013

Alpha, I'm not sure I follow. As a purely theoretical question, if there is a decrease in demand for a product (b/c you refused to sell to a particular constituency), then the available supply for the "approved" buyers would be relatively increased and the price would fall. In the long term, a new equilibrium supply/demand curve would be reached. Relative to where you started, the new equilibrium would have greater supply, lower prices, and greater numbers of domestic or "approved" buyers attracted to the lower prices.

So if you're a pocket watch collector, you'd much prefer that a few people get scammed and the Ukrainians continue buying up vintage American pocket watches so that they support the going rate of pocket watches. Presumably if you're a pocket watch collector you wouldn't be foolish enough to buy one of the Ukrainian "refurbs," so it'd be someone else's problem entirely, and you'd get to sit back in forums like this and laugh at the suckers.

10. woodwkr2 Mar 23, 2013

So call it what you want, but that sounds like pretty good "high ground" in my book--particularly if you offer to help the poor suckers when they're in need of expert advice.

11. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 23, 2013

Suckers ! I would imagine most of of us have fallen in to that classification at some point.
    I am making no moral judgement on those who sell to xyz, I confess to having done so.
    I am happy to hear your response, exactly what I hoped for.
    Anyone else with a few pence worth?

12. woodwkr2 Mar 23, 2013

Yessir, multiple times a sucker, right here. I suppose the only difference between a sucker and a real dummy is falling for the same scam twice. I'm sure I'll be in that category at some point too.

13. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 23, 2013

Don't think it applies in Scotland but i'll plead the fifth amendment when it come to being suckered ( pray it is the fifth) :)

14. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2013

Yes, it's the Fifth Amendment that precludes you from self-incrimination.

Yes, I was suckered - on a franken redial for my first vintage Omega purchase. Just like comedians are allowed to make jokes about their own religion or ethnicity, I believe my post-suckeredness permits me to be blunt about frankenwatches.

15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 23, 2013

You Denis, blunt - never :D

16. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 24, 2013

Alpha, typical cultural cringe towards the US. Why not refer to something closer to home, and more relevant, Magna Carta, on which most of the bill of Rights was based. Lets not let these yanks forget the significant contribution their UK history made to their society

17. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 24, 2013

I think I sense a large wooden spoon and some stirring :D

18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 24, 2013

Ouch !
    First responses (in good fun !)
    I think you are reminding the insignificant of their significance, not us Yanks.
    We will never forget your contributions, the abuses under King George III that led to our constitution as well as the abuses under King John that led to the Magna Carta.
    We could go on and on.....

Second and heartfelt response.
    While we are truly a "franken" society with great french and spanish influence, we will always consider ourselves a son (prodigal?) of Great Britain.
    Yanks with any sense of history realize (realise) that our little run of success pales in comparison to that of the Empire and other empires before.
    We have fought against each other but now, we fight side by side.

Tip of the Hat,
    Buck

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2013

]

UncleBuck likes this.
  20. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 24, 2013

And one of the recommended videos at the end of that one was