Forums Latest Members

How Omega Saved Me Thousands and Thousands of Dollars

1. ErichPryde May 18, 2024

Well, I had a heck of a time taking a good shot of the sapphire dome (it tends to vanish at the top straight on) and it isn't quite as domed as the 1960's SM300, but it is nicely domed- and the way it plays with light is very, very similar. no milky ring (but of course that's an artifact of the "boxed" style tall crystal). Point being, Omega can make killer sapphire crystals that are reminescent of vintage.

upload_2024-5-18_13-44-59.png

Note the crescent-shaped sliver of light, from where it was bent by the crystal and cast onto the dial.

upload_2024-5-18_13-49-48.png

and the "dome" is clearly shown and reflective in these images:

upload_2024-5-18_13-53-56.png

I don't own an Ed White, but I've handled one, and it has a spectacular sapphire crystal. Hesalite has a beautiful dome; clearly Omega can replicate it to some degree.

To add: I realize you have a Trilogy (on a beautiful strap!) and I'm not trying to disagree with you or anything so much as add to the conversation. I don't understand why Omega can do it here but not on the Speedmaster.

Not sure if the dome on the trilogy and 2nd gen are the same, but apparently the same lighting effect occurs on your watch as well

[​IMG]

Edited May 18, 2024
    hen, blubarb, Aroxx and 1 other person like this.