Forums Latest Members
  1. dazed1 Aug 25, 2020

A question for the neurotic and insane... like me! I am still in the honeymoon phase with my new PO 8900 so any ding on it drives me a little nuts. All my other watches have so much wear the scratches just kinda blend in. The clasp on this particular bracelet picks up micro scratches like crazy. I finally broke down and hit it with a scotch bright pad and its like new again. How often (if at all) do you folks do it?

2. Marsimaxam Aug 25, 2020

Generally, I don’t polish the clasp, the watch head if it has a matte finish, occasionally. I’m quite careful when I wear my watches and usually don’t wear the bracelet. The highly polished clasps on leather straps I don’t even attempt to restore.

Scratches on the clasp don’t bother me as much as scratches on the watch head.
    Consider putting some clear heavy tape on your clasps... no one will notice

3. Rodentman Aug 25, 2020

I am rather OCD about my YG sub clasp. I have an Everest strap for it but I hate to put that magnificent bracelet away. So I keep it tuned up with a CC Cloth or a rouge cloth.

4. slwoodster Aug 26, 2020

I asked my dealer for a clasp for my everest. They said no. So I bought a replica.

in the future I am buying the watch protector stickers for my new watches.

Pun likes this.
  5. mrchen Aug 26, 2020

The only scratch that bothers me is the first one I put on the watch. You have to accept that these things were meant to be worn and used. Try as you might to keep a luxury watch in pristine condition it's antithetical to the idea of them also being sport watches. I don't think Jacques Cousteau was worrying about the brushed finish on his clasp between dives.

6. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Aug 26, 2020

A thread without a picture?

18 months wear, polishing seems pointless to me as it would be just as bad/good in no time.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. image.jpg

7. Pun Aug 26, 2020

Use a thick cello tape to cover your watch, bracelet and clasp..

You can also keep it inside a bank locker wrapped in velvet to protect against any potential damage or misuse.

PRW, wolfe44 and dstfno like this.
  8. dazed1 Aug 26, 2020

Thanks for all the replies folks. I did ask this kind of tongue in cheek. I totally get "living in the watch" - as I stated all my other watches are kinda beat to death. I don't really baby anything- if it cant stand up to daily wear in "my" life then it will just get sold. I normally wear natos so I am still trying to get used to getting the bracelet broke in as it were. I have no use for things that don't get used. I am just still enjoying the out of the box experience right now. Just a really fun experience overall.

schoolboy, PRW and Pun like this.
  9. Pun Aug 26, 2020

Thats the way it should always be dear. Wear it in good health...

10. slwoodster Aug 26, 2020

Honestly, I used to think that beating the crap out of my watch was great. The reason we are getting so protective is because of the brand. If we are supposed to treat it like tools, then price them like tools.

Bring the price back to $324 for a rolex cosmograph or omega speedmaster pro and I will beat the crap out of all my watches.

[​IMG]

OmegaS and DaveK like this.
  11. Pun Aug 26, 2020

I don't support your logic bro. Can you dream of going back to similar wages and living conditions when they used to be sold at that price?
    An emphatic NO.

12. wolfe44 Aug 26, 2020

I don't polish my clasp. But like you, I prefer natos

13. Utheman Aug 26, 2020

Sometimes the micro-scratched clasp can be pretty...

20170521_145522.jpg

Pun, p4ul and u35rm8 like this.
  14. u35rm8 Aug 26, 2020

Nothing wrong with micro scratches on the clasp. It’s the ding’s you need to worry about.

15. Bugbait Aug 27, 2020

I never refinish my watches, I let the full service take care of that. In between I just accept and live with the scratches on them.

If the daily scratches bother you then grab a ceramic watch. It will more likely break or chip before it scratches, then you have a whole new world of problems.

YY77 likes this.
  16. gbesq Aug 27, 2020

I polish my clasps periodically with a Cape Cod cloth to remove scratches. That being said, watches are meant to be worn and scratches, scuffs and dings are inevitable. I'm definitely more careful with the watch head than the bracelet and clasp.

17. dougwhiz Aug 27, 2020

It would be nice if we could afford 2 copies, one to keep with the tag on, one to play with!

"...its still got the old tagger on it... Don't even point at it. It can't be played"

dstfno and Mad Dog like this.
  18. Scooterino36 Aug 27, 2020

2 years with my Speedy and I’ve never polished the clasp or the hesalite. Knowing that there’s already signs of wear and tear makes it easier to function everyday. Otherwise I would be obsessing over it constantly.

Pun likes this.
  19. taz101 Aug 27, 2020

20. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Aug 27, 2020

I thought the OPs question was a euphemism ;)

Sorry, been watching a lot of "The Office" on Netflix so my humour is hovering around Michael Scott's "that's what she said" level.