Forums Latest Members

How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?

1. bonerp Feb 8, 2018

only ever see nice watches on my wrist!

2. any4xx Feb 8, 2018

Sadly, true for most of us.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  3. boltman Feb 8, 2018

Never really thought about it, but I really never ever see a nice watch. Once in a while I get a comment from another Panerai wearer if I am wearing mine, but that's about it. Please no comments about Panerai, I secretly like them AND they look silly on my small wrist.

dr1v3thru and Alphasports like this.
  4. nurseford25 Feb 21, 2018

Was in a meeting today. Saw this:
    [​IMG]
    And this:
    [​IMG]

One of these:
    [​IMG]

Oh and what I’m 90% sure was this:
    [​IMG]
    And then mine of course.
    66A22E2D-2FA7-4FFE-B79B-1128DEDADBDE.jpeg

Definitely one of the biggest real world sighting of pretty high end pieces that I have come across. Obviously I didn’t ask to take wrist shots with everyone I’m not that bold of a guy. :cool:

5. Perrier Feb 22, 2018

I live in Hong Kong so I see a lot of nice watches here due to all the bankers, etc.

But there's always a little alarm bell in my head saying they're fakes.

For example, there was a young guy (20s) on the subway wearing a blue dial AP Royal Oak.

But his clothes were cheap.

Or I often see old guys wearing rolexes, but they don't care about their appearance (messy hair, etc.)

It's hard to know.

6. Bernardino Feb 22, 2018

One of my colleagues has a collection of Rolexes (Sea Dweller, Milgauss), Brietling. Traded his SMP and Panerai for the Milgauss. We often discuss watches and what’s on our list. Nobody else in the office gets it!

Have a good friend with a nice collection

Spotted a guy in Starbucks with a Panerai but I felt odd looking too closely at it!

When on holiday in Dubai near enough everyone has a Rolex on, most common is the Datejust.

I did see a young guy (19-20) in a burger restaurant wearing a bi-metal Yacht master, instantly thought that it must be a fake!

BrianMcKay likes this.
  7. MaiLollo Feb 22, 2018

I'm not in Asia, but boy if you saw me in the street on a week-end you would think that all of my watches are fakes! Shitty clothes, no attention whatsoever to the hair style... The wrist always sports a nice vintage Speedmaster, though :D

Togri v. 2.0, Pun, jetkins and 2 others like this.
  8. turbo_muc Feb 22, 2018

Are you working in investment banking? :D

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. mr_yossarian Feb 22, 2018

I actually know a secret place here where they come out at night to quench their thirst :)
    IMG_20180125_201001_595.jpg

10. any4xx Feb 22, 2018

Heck: if you ever see me on the streets I’d fit that profile. My 99% daily dress is jeans and a t-shirt. Sometimes I wear shoes. And sometimes I comb my hair. But usually if it gets long enough to need a comb I just hit it with the shears. But always with either a nice Omega or Rolex on.

Togri v. 2.0 and Pun like this.
  11. turbo_muc Feb 22, 2018

:D agreed...

too sleek dress is probably even a sign for fake (unless its expensive clothing).

Pun likes this.
  12. delraywatch Feb 22, 2018

Here in Miami, great watches everywhere. Saw an FP Journe last night at the mall.

13. nmttd2 Feb 22, 2018

When I visited Europe, many people wore watches of many different brands.

I was in Paris and was walking to breakfast and this homeless man was panhandling, I gave him some euros because he had a dog with him. I'm a sucker for homeless people with pets. In the evening, I was walking back to my area and I saw him again. The homeless guy had a Tissot T-touch! I'm like I dont think he's really homeless and just faking it! haha

In america, you see alot of apple watches and tons of subs.

14. nurseford25 Feb 22, 2018

Haha. You would think. It was all hospital admin personnel.

Jones in LA likes this.
  15. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2018

Hi
    I was at a Staples store last week , I needed some pencils... The cashier , a retiree was wearing what appeared to be a JLC memovox w rotating bezel... I said that looks like a nice watch... he said up i bought in the early 70s.... then I walked out.....

it looks alike like this one that was for sale
    LeCoultre Polaris II Memovox HPG Divers Blue Wristwatch Stainless Steel,

I did not see the cashiers dial up close... but its the right style case... plus he had the original bracelet on his

Bill
    jlc.jpg

16. Perrier Feb 22, 2018

I think the reason I associate fake watches with people who dress shabbily is because in Asia that's usually how you spot fake bags - a rich woman who has an expensive bag won't be wearing cheap, ratty shoes.

But maybe I'm wrong to apply that logic to men. We don't usually take care of our appearance to the same extent as women.

17. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 22, 2018

Bill...While you were at PuristS is it safe to say that you saw quite a few "nice watches in the wild"?
    I can only imagine what ThomasM's daily rotation looked like ;)

Bill Sohne likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 22, 2018

I went into the wrong profession a platona... Granted Tornue was selling theirs at 35k and accepting offers...

nurseford25 likes this.
  19. sjg22 Feb 22, 2018

Was in Fort Lauderdale/Miami last week.

It seems like everyone wears a Rolex or some sort of fine watch. Had dinner at Garcia's on the Miami River (not a fancy place by any stretch) and a father and two sons next to us all had Rolex on (an everose Yachtmaster on the father, a Sub/SD and a Daytona on the sons).

It's absolutely the norm in Southern Florida to lead with the wrist ::yawn::

20. merchandiser Feb 22, 2018

In San Francisco I see a bit of everything. Yes there a lot of Apple watches being worn but I've seen Panerai, Rolex, Omega, Breitling and on rare occasion something vintage.

BrianMcKay likes this.