Forums Latest Members

How often do you demagnetize?

1. BenBagbag Feb 17, 2019

I searched for a bit and haven't came across any specific recommendations for a demagnetizer. I think I should get one at this point...

2. Sublime_1 Feb 17, 2019

I have access to a large-volume hard drive degausser should I just run my collection through that?;)

3. nttisch23 Feb 18, 2019

Never, but now you have me considering after reading all of these comments....

4. elmar2001 Feb 18, 2019

Never needed to do so. But the effect is big, I saw this at Omega Biel. You can easily stop the watch from moving with heavy magnetization. And it is really easy to demagnetize.

5. Wryfox Feb 18, 2019

I automatically demag all purchased watches. I have found almost 70% move the compass needle at least 90deg. That enough to cause a problem. I've demagged a watch that just spun the compass needle around. It ran 7 minutes fast, then after, about 20secs. Further adj brought it right in. So here's my process. If a watch drives the compass needle less than 45deg but its keeping time(within 10secs), I leave it alone. More than 45 deg and I demag and readjust, even if keeping good time.

Demag is easy, only takes about 30 seconds. Demagnetizer is under $10 on Amazon.

These days even the little magnets that close your ipad case are strong enough to magnetize your watch if it comes in contact.

BTW, I agree with the other post above that even a demagged watch moves the compass needle a little (up to 20deg or so)....the watches body of metal over the compass is interrupting the earths field.