Forums Latest Members

How much should a new Sapphire Sandwich cost - and where should I buy it?

1. karlm Jul 26, 2016

Hi Omega Forum,

I have been looking to buy my first great watch for quite some time now. I have done some research, tried on different pieces, and I have fallen in love with the Speedmaster Professional "Sapphire Sandwich".

However, it seems that choosing what watch to buy is only half of the job. I have looked through some of the threads on this forum and on WUS discussing pros and cons with the grey market, authorized dealers, new vs second hand etc. However, it seems that the "right choice" really depends on what you value in the process of buying a watch and the situation you're in as the buyer. Therefore I am putting up this new post hoping to get feedback from some of you more experienced people, taking my situation into account.

So, my situation is that I'm 22 years old, studying (read: low income) in Denmark, and have not bought a watch of this class before.
    In other words, I would rather save some money and miss out on the "experience" of making my purchase at an Omega boutique. On the other hand, i am not willing to buy from a webpage either and miss out on the factory warranty. Right now the ideel situation would be to purchase a new watch that comes with factory warranty and so on at a reasonable price. I am in the US for a couple of months during the summer and I have talked to an AD in Cincinnati. They said they would give me some discounts and would be able to sell the watch at 5300 USD (that is without the sales tax of 7 %). I don't think it seems like that good a deal taking prices from Chrono24 into account. Maybe I am wrong? I'd really like to hear your input on this.

I can also see here on the omegaforum, that users like Kringkily are mentioned now and then with regards to purchasing a watch that comes with factory warranty - I am not sure I understand what kind of deal that would be though. Can anyone elaborate?

I am looking forward to hearing all of your inputs!

/Karlm

2. nurseford25 Jul 26, 2016

Check out the sales forum on this site. There are always several for sale and pricing is fair. I would say second hand, sapphire sandwich new with papers would be somewhere between 3400-3800 give or take a little. Keep looking. The right one will pop up eventually.

karlm and OMGRLX like this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 26, 2016

You should reach @Kringkily directly for clarification. For my part I recommend him 100%

The problem you face is that you want something you can't afford and are not willing to compromise. If you want a new factory warranty authorised watch pay for it. if you want the savings ( and I don't blame you) accept the compromise.

This said a reputable private seller may be able to bridge that gap for you.

Best of luck and reach @Kringkily through PM.

OMGRLX, zrleopold and karlm like this.
  4. WatchVaultNYC Jul 26, 2016

I highly recommend you go buy from a local seller, unless you are OK with 35% import duty for your country.

OMGRLX likes this.
  5. nurseford25 Jul 26, 2016

+1 for kringkily. That's who I purchased mine from.

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 26, 2016

Well, he can wear it on if he buys it on his trip.

OMGRLX and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  7. 3523 Jul 27, 2016

I live in Cincinnati. If you want to buy at an AD the best place for Omega is the AD inside Kenwood mall. Was there a couple weeks ago and they offered 20% off without me asking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OMGRLX likes this.
  8. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jul 27, 2016

One of our members from Switzerland will have one listed in the sales forum shortly. Also I believe @DLT222 has one listed, he is in London.
    Should save any taxes and duties.

OMGRLX likes this.
  9. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2016

Thanks for the plug @tpatta

Mine is the 90s version (way cooler than the new one) but he wants a new one, which I can get also from the UK and ship at a discount.

OMGRLX likes this.
  10. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jul 27, 2016

I've got the '90s version. For sure a better look. ::love::

11. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2016

[​IMG]

fskywalker, OMGRLX, x3no and 4 others like this.
  12. karlm Jul 27, 2016

Thanks a lot for all your replies!

That's the AD I talked to. I was offered the 5300 USD deal on it. A 4300 USD on the regular hesalite version.
    Where you looking at a speedmaster too when you were offered the 20%?

13. arcadelt Jul 27, 2016

If you haven't already found it, set up a search at watchrecon.com and be patient. Something will come along that ticks all the boxes for you - watch collecting is a long game.

14. Longbow Jul 27, 2016

May I suggest an alternative?
    If you want a Speedmaster with Sapphire crystal, but don't want to cough up for the full OB experience, which I can fully understand as a poor student, maybe you should consider a good condition used Triple Date (35205000). It is a lot of bang for the buck and I can honestly say I have been very happy with mine, which was a daily wearer for circa 10 years .... until it got some competition from an OB-supplied Globemaster.

There is one on Chrono24 (in Sweden) also with an interesting selection of NATO straps (plus box & papers). Seems like a nice entry point.
    http://www.chrono24.de/omega/speedmaster-triple-calendar-mk40--id4481018.htm

Here's a pic of mine (sorry not for sale).
    Couple of Omegas.JPG

Edited Jul 27, 2016
    OMGRLX and karlm like this.
  15. 3523 Jul 27, 2016

Yep, specifically the speedmaster. Sales lady asked the manager right in front of me and he said 20%. They didn't have the sapphire in stock when I was there though, that was the one I came to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

16. karlm Jul 27, 2016

I did not know of this site. I'll definitely check it out! Cheers!

17. mdgrwl Aug 2, 2016

Trusted private sellers for sure.

OMGRLX likes this.
  18. rcs914 Aug 2, 2016

Be sure to look at pictures comparing the sapphire sandwich and the regular hesalite Speedy. Around here the hesalite is definitely preferred by most people - it simply looks better, while the sapphire has a "milky ring" around the outside of the dial. Also the hesalite is very easy to polish yourself, and a replacement crystal will probably run you less than $100 installed if you need one. Compare this to the sapphire, which if you are unlucky enough to have to replace will cost you well over $500.

Taddyangle, OMGRLX and Longbow like this.
  19. Paulotis2 Aug 2, 2016

What is a sapphire sandwich?

20. karlm Aug 2, 2016

Thanks for your input @rcs914,

I have been going back and forth between the hesalite and the sapphire. I think the main reason for my decision ultimately pointing towards the sapphire is that i'm planing on using the watch everyday and I'm expecting that the wear the watch will get is more than the hesalite will be able to handle yet less than needed to crack the sapphire crystal.
    And of course, i also love the detail of the sapphire on the back which accompanies the sapphire front (hence the nickname "sapphire sandwich", @Paulotis2 ).

With that being said, I am still not 100% on what is the right decision. I don't think i'll ever be. If I get the hesalite and crack it, i'll regret not getting the sapphire. And the other way around, if I get the sapphire and never give it a whack big enough to presumably crack what would have been a hesalite crystal, ill probably regret not saving the money and getting that hesalite look.