Forums Latest Members

How much extra for box and papers?

1. Gaz6263 Sep 3, 2015

So how much extra are b+p worth? I'm looking at a maxi dial 5513 very good condition with the full works. The seller is asking £8k. As a wearer and a long term investment is it worth the extra?

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 3, 2015

a 5513 in very good condition is not priced badly at 8K, box or no box. One would have to see the actual watch though. If the box and papers are original to the watch then yes, it is worth some extra $ as you will be better suited to re-sell at a higher premium and also gives you a "certain" assurance as to the watch not having gone through too many hands. Not 100% but people that save box and papers for decades are normally good to their watches.

3. Gaz6263 Sep 3, 2015

Are you confusing pounds for dollars?

4. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Sep 3, 2015

£8k is no bargain...

5. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Sep 3, 2015

For that money you can also look at the 5513's of Meertz: Worldoftime.de... you can choose between several models.

6. ulackfocus Sep 3, 2015

Box & papers add value in scale with the value of the watch itself.

Nobody really cares if a pre-owned Seiko dive beater with a 7s26 comes with the box & papers. I don't think anyone much cares if it comes with the original bracelet for that matter.

However, a Patek or Vacheron better come with them or a significant discount for not having the goodies.

NT931 likes this.
  7. negnoodles Sep 5, 2015

LIke the above posters pointed out, having the box and papers is just adding value to the watch, both in terms of it's resale value and also a testament towards its current quality/condition maybe?

Personally, I stay AWAY from watches that are high end (omega and above) that dont have papers since I often ask myself, how does he lose the papers? Stolen? Fake? Or maybe bought from another country and tried to avoid customs? WHo knows, but from a personal view it completely just knocks the watch's quality statement off.

8. profzhu Sep 6, 2015

8k pounds for a 5513 box and paper is not too expensive although it certain does carry a premium. Personally I feel box and paper doesn't add much returns per dollar in terms of investment. Vintage watches are worn as tool watches so it's very common that people lose the documentation or even threw them away. Honestly, who would have know those things had investment value 40 years ago? For vintage its all about the condition, no one wears the box and papers. A nice, original, and unpolished 5513 without box and paper can easily fetch 8k pounds

9. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 11, 2015

Wow, that's $12,300! Maybe gilt, but...

Anyway, to find one which is really unpolished is not so easy, perhaps that's the kicker.

10. WatchVaultNYC Sep 12, 2015

I'd have to respectfully disagree with this. People discard packaging and accessories all the time for things they buy. As things get bought and sold more than once, the likelihood of someone keeping boxes and paperwork grow less and less - and this has nothing to do with any nefarious scheme.

10 years ago I bought my father an Aqua Terra. He kept it in a safe and only used it a handful of times. But when I inquired about it recently, the told me he threw away the boxes. Makes perfect sense to a non-watchie.