Forums Latest Members

How many European members drive every day

1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Nov 17, 2018

Just looking through The NY Times and WAPO and both had articles concerning the French protests against even higher gasoline and diesel taxes. Here in America we really don’t give it a second thought to drive across country or state to state. Gasoline and diesel from $2.50 to $3.50 a gallon. Looked up a chart of European fuel prices. Damn, $7-8 looked like the average for a gallon equivalent. I have to assume there are even higher taxes on vehicles, tolls on roads. I know Europe has developed a fantastic rail system, just the freedom of vehicle sure is appealing. Is a vehicle a none essential? Here it is the first thing most 16 year olds dream of are the wheels to get around town.

chronoboy64 likes this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 17, 2018

European cars tend to be both smaller, diesel powered and have manual transmissions. All three are positive factors for higher fuel mileage vs American counterparts. That being said, European fuel taxes (like their VAT vs our Sales Tax) are very high.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 17, 2018

a73987e14b25753958ea260923e38e16.jpg

That's why two wheel vehicles are also quite popular.

Paul Uk likes this.
  4. Faz Nov 17, 2018

You have to put things in perspective. Much smaller geographical area to travel. Excellent rail and bus network and quite cheap to use. Thick social net (health insurance to name one component) and yes, most people who own a car, don’t drive a gas guzzler SUV or large car as seen in the USA.

Simply put, cheap gas, low taxes and high health insurance costs (amongst other things) vs high taxes and energy prices and a hefty social net. What makes people happier or more miserable? That is the question. Being Canadian, I opt for the former but to each his/ her own.

Up here, some would to go to a less govmnt invasive, low tax American model but most Europeans and Canadians love the social net the high taxes provide them... while complaining about them! Oh the irony!

Edit: We, in Quebec, pay the equivalent of $ 4,25 per gallon. Still much cheaper than the
    € 1,50 /litre ..3.87liters per us gallon or $ 6.61/gal).

Cheers

Cheers

Edited Nov 17, 2018
    allwoundup, CdnWatchDoc and Pun like this.
  5. flqt-9000 Nov 18, 2018

I write from Italy, I own a car but If I can I prefer to leave it parked and use bus, tube or rail.
    The reason is not the fuel cost, but I find more comfortable if I don’t have to drive every day, fir example to get at work..

superfly likes this.
  6. ioaniro Nov 18, 2018

It also depends on the country. In many bus and rail are, as already mentioned, very well developed with the buses having their own lanes to avoid traffic jams.
    Bike to work is also quite popular in some countries especially now with the ebikes. I have colleagues that bike 30km to work mostly for the exercise rather than cost saving.

In Switzerland you can also get an anual travel card valid on all transport system in the country. Is not cheap but even if you just use it rarely and then use it a lot for going skiing it kind of pays off.
    That being said I ride a motorcycle to work most days and is cheaper than the train/bus. And more enjoyable .

Dr_P likes this.
  7. jaguar11 Nov 18, 2018

Excellent rail and bus network.... Not where I live in the UK unfortunately:( oh and we get saddled with £1.34 for one litre of diesel. As you rightly point out however there are other aspects to consider.

Faz and Wivac like this.
  8. MaiLollo Nov 18, 2018

I live in Paris, and as much as I love cars, I sold mine last year because it has become a pain to own one. You cannot find parking spaces. When you do, they’re expensive. So you can’t drive to work unless you have a parking space there. Plus, there is a lot of traffic so all you do is you end up being super stressed out...
    We have an amazing public transport network, but still, politicians here have decided that using cars is “bad”, thus they do anything they can to prevent people from using them.

I’m from Rome originally, and there it’s another story :)
    As bad to use a car, but everyone does because the public transport system is pathetic...

chronoboy64 and flqt-9000 like this.
  9. S.H. Nov 18, 2018

In France , In the countryside or small towns you are not going anywhere much using public transportation even if there are buses... In big towns you can do without a car depending on where you work/live, I've been doing it forever. That's why currents protest are from poorer people who must own a car to go to work basically: they are shafted by the oil price, but on the other hand, is burning petrol a state-guaranteed right?

High speed rail is ok but costly and obviously, only goes to the big towns. Secondary rail, hmmm :cautious:

Car sharing is popular, I used it for my last vacation.

10. Wuza72 Nov 18, 2018

I live in Germany,
    Mobility always depends on the size of the nearest city and the connection to it. Major cities here in Germany have very good bus and train connections.
    The cities themselves are increasingly trying to motivate vehicles to park in front of the city limits, for example in Stuttgart and Düsseldorf, where people have to struggle with fine dust pollution and driving bans. The driver can then travel to the city centre by bus or train.

Personally I live rather rural, for me the car is a must, and because of my job, I drive my car almost every day.

Friends of mine in Hamburg or Berlin don't own cars anymore and for example use car sharing offers, which are spreading more and more.

11. smitty190373 Nov 18, 2018

In London you will be quicker with a pair of these..

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 09.28.26.png

These mean you won't have to try and park, you won't get caught and fined by a speed camera, and you will also be exempt from the congestion charge. I hate driving a car in London. Use roller skates or get the train.

12. jimmyd13 Nov 18, 2018

UK here and drive 50,000+ miles a year. That said, I've had a company car since I was 22 and I can't remember the last time I paid for fuel out of my own pocket. Car, fuel, insurance and much more is provided by the firm.

The biggest thought, when deciding whether to take the car or public transport, is parking and whether or not I'm going to have a drink. For example, I'm about to head into town but construction means that I won't be able to park at the shop (for free). It's cheaper for me to take a bus, then swap to the trams, than it is for me to park at any of the parking structures for 2 hours. Plus, walking distance taking public transport is probably 300 yards as opposed to a half mile if I drive and park. All day ticket for public transport is £4.50 (without any discounts); parking is £3.60 for two hours and rises quickly after that.

13. siguzzi Nov 18, 2018

In Germany I miss a cheap and reliable railwork. It gets bader every year.
    Prices for fuel are politically rised due to reducing CO2 emissions

chronoboy64 likes this.
  14. Shabbaz Nov 18, 2018

We use other means of transportation...

20181118_110255.jpg
    Dr_P, Edward53, Pjotr1 and 5 others like this.
  15. Davidt Nov 18, 2018

The tendency for brits/europeans to buy diesel is starting to change slightly now. After the recent worries about particulates, diesel sales are stating to reduce.

People in the uk at least are now moving towards more economic petrol engines, such as the Audi/VW small bore 1.4 tfsi with turbo or even hybrids!

There's really no alternative to a car in the UK unless you're in central London (and surprisingly, most of us aren't). Public transport is catastrophically shit so I use a car for everything.

If I'm going long distance to London, Edinborough, south west etc I may take the train but it's the exception rather than the rule.

rustynuts and kov like this.
  16. borre Nov 18, 2018

I drive every day... even with traffic jams it is faster than public transport

17. albertob Nov 18, 2018

I’m Italian and I’m based in Poland.

I do drive everyday as the public transport sucks.
    Fuel is not so expensive, compared to Italy.

Indeed I bought second hand car, petrol, for cheap money in Italy where 1l can cost up to 1.7 euro.

Here we are around 1.15 euro per liter.
    Alberto

18. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Nov 18, 2018

I'm in Boston, USA. Car-free for last five years, and wouldn't want to own one even it was given to me. It's not that I dislike cars as my previous car was a beloved Audi TT. I manage very well with bus, subway, walk, Uber, Zipcar, ride a bicycle. Helps that I'm located in a neighborhood with a Walkscore of 94.

Edited Nov 18, 2018
    CdnWatchDoc, Wryfox and chronoboy64 like this.
  19. dialstatic Nov 18, 2018

Here in The Netherlands, I do own a car. Currently the (converted) gas price is $7.25 USD per gallon (€1,675 EUR per liter).

Most people over here own one: 12.5 million vehicles for 17 million people (so about 73,5%). What’s that figure like over there?

That said, it’s usually for convenience rather than absolute necessity. We have a good public transport netwerk, a history of using bicycles, and don’t forget: my country fits in your average state some five times (four if you don’t count a ridiculous* state like Alaska). The presumably shorter average travel distances might make mobility alternatives as well as our gas prices seem more reasonable.

* [EDIT] Ridiculous in terms of size, I mean. I don’t know enough about the state to make value judgments on its others aspects.

Edited Nov 18, 2018
    Pjotr1, George.A and Willem023 like this.
  20. akshayluc420 Nov 18, 2018

I guess it comes down to business v/s pleasure.

I've spent my childhood across 3 continents and my adult working life too as well (across 5 separate countries), I can say this: I LOVE to drive, but I'm not the biggest fan of the headaches, costs & chores associated with ownership. Also, it would seem that as second hand cars and bikes have become more affordable, it's made the driving experience on roads worse as there are more kids who can pick up a fairly decently powered car for less cash but don't have the etiquette or driving courtesy to go with it. I now refuse to drive in India, Egypt, London, New York and Tokyo. Singapore, Dubai and non-urban UK I still enjoy. Downtown Toronto is a nightmare similar to NY, but I'm still picking up a car due to work and for the weekend.

Do I NEED a car? If it saves me time, yes; this is where public transport fails me. When I was younger money was more more valuable. Given an ideal world, I would love to use the public transport for work and daily affairs, and have a car and bike for the weekends or long distance trips. The Underground/Metro/Subway and a Miata (MX5), best of both worlds!