Forums Latest Members

How long before I ruin my watch?

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 6, 2014

one of my 18k rolex oysterquartz's died. I noticed at the bank today that the battery crapped out sometime in the last (4) weeks.

this watch has been worn less than 10 times since 1979 so I plan on removing the battery whilst being stored. digression: I know watch collectors loathe battery watches but this watch is a gem; I purchased it from my old boss as it was a wedding gift and when he got divorced he sold it.
    There's less than 900 of these watches in the world which makes this super rare (for a Rolex). I'm guessing that one day collectors will realize just how scarce this watch really is. I love to hope!

so, now that I'm finished babbling... how much time do I have? I thought about humping my case back removal contraptions to the bank but I'm not sure how they'll react when I starting cussing like sailor because I put a deep mark or scratch in that soft gold.

thanks for your help!

a picture for anyone who ever wondered what these things looked like coming out of production - it's never been polished.

image.jpg image.jpg
    AuBuyer, marturx and Northernman like this.
  2. ulackfocus Oct 6, 2014

For all we know, the battery might have leaked already! :eek:

Take it to the pimply faced kid at the mall kiosk to get the battery changed. Don't worry, a good watchmaker can polish out any gouges. :taunt:

citizenrich likes this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 7, 2014

What are you doing next Friday and where's my delivery? I have a poker game in Holmdel coming up in (2) Fridays. You're more than welcome to join us. my fraternity brother is a retired at 40 partner of Goldman Sachs and we don't play much cards but he has an impressive collection of single malts some of which cost more than my car lolzzzz. Worth taking a trip just for the booze. no wimmins allowed (((wink))).

4. yande Oct 7, 2014

God, how many of these (....) things do you have? I can understand why you put it away, out of sight, for respect of others eyesight! ;)

But, yep, as a WIS, I also love it.

Yeah, apparently they leak, working or not. Get it out asap. Interesting choice of back ground for that second shot..

5. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Oct 7, 2014

I truly wish people would realize how great these watches were/are. Sold one recently and I'm still sick about it. :eek:

6. ulackfocus Oct 7, 2014

Unfortunately, I'm working til 9 - and I found an end-around to get that package directly to my house. As much as I like the idea of that whole no chicks card game, I'll have to pass this time. Thanks though!

7. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 7, 2014

You're married now. Probably need permission. :p

8. ulackfocus Oct 7, 2014

Funny!

.... and the answer is "no, I don't". ;) I have a lifetime supply of kitchen passes.

9. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 7, 2014

Sure. That's what we all said early on

10. speedbird Oct 7, 2014

In all seriousness, get that battery out asap. Leakage aside, it will do da,age to the circut to keep a dead battery in there during storage

11. peatnick Oct 7, 2014

if your in a hurry just to get the old battery out ball up some duct tape

[​IMG]

once the old battery is out you can store that lovely watch away safely