Forums Latest Members

How inaccurate does a watch need to be before it needs more than a 'regulation'?

1. Maximus84 Jun 16, 2015

I understand that many factors could affect the accuracy of a watch. Lots of variance in rate may indicate postional or temperature differences for example, and a watch could run fast or slow within that. If a watch is running a steady, say 8spd slow, then perhaps a regulation could be performed, right?

However, if a watch is running rreeeeallly slow, I.e. About 4mins per day, would a regulation alone sort it, or is there a bigger problem afoot? I ask as I have this problem with an old SEIKO 6309 I have recently purchased.

Any thoughts welcome

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 16, 2015

Have you had it serviced ? if not I would get it serviced if you don't know the service history.
    Let thee watchmaker know the running pattern you have seen since owning.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 16, 2015

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 16, 2015

As others have said, the fact it runs slow (a little or a lot) is not an indication of anything in particular with regards to the need for service. If you see a change in the rate of the watch, this is a better indication that something is wrong, but as you have described it, it's impossible to say.

Cheers, Al

Fritz likes this.
  5. Canuck Jun 16, 2015

As an example, I have an Omega Speedmaster which I bought new in 1990. 25 years ago! I seldom wear it, but when I do, it runs within seconds per week! It has never been cleaned or lubed, or even opened. Scandalous, I know. Based solely on the phenomenal accuracy of this watch, you might think it would not need a service. It DOES! And when the time comes that it gets done, it will be me that does it. My point is that, whether a watch needs servicing or not should not be based solely on its accuracy! It should be based on how much you wear it, and when it was last serviced, along with how it performs. Were I to persist in wearing this watch for an extended time, no doubt damage would result. I would be surprised if this watch runs for one week every year.

6. Maximus84 Jun 16, 2015

Thanks for the comments guys. I understand it's difficult to get a real answer with the information I have provided but was hoping I could get some kind of indication.

To embellish the story a little, the watch is a SEIKO 6309 diver from 1984 (my birth year, a big reason why I bought it). It was bought on eBay from a seller with lots of good feedback and is always selling SEIKOS. I had contacted the seller a few times during the sale to enquire as to the condition of the watch etc. He claims (and I have no real reason to dispute this based on our previous conversations) that the watch was functioning properly and 'keeping good time'. He has over 100 watches (I've seen pics off some of his collection). Has doesn't keep track of specific accuracy details of each watch, he basically checks it's within a minute or so and that's good enough. Fair enough, on a 30 year old watch.

However, when I received the watch, it took a while to get going, and with wear it was running at a rate of about 4mins slow per 24hrs. It then stopped overnight. I thought I'd keep an eye on it. Yesterday it kept ticking throughout the day, with a similar slow rate, and survived being left on my bedside table overnight. I then put it on and within 5 minutes it stopped working. It took a long time to get started again, then, when I though it was going I looked down and it had stopped again. It did this 3 more times. It is now going again but running slow.

Having no experience with vintage automatics, I don't really know how susceptible the movement will have been to knocks in transit etc. It is possible it just needs a service, but I don't have a watchmaker local to me (that I know of after a brief search) and I don't know whether it's worth doing that, or just sending it back, given the difference between what the seller claims, and the current functioning.

After starting off my mechanical collection with a new Speedy Pro, this is my next tentative step into mechanical watches (albeit at a much lower level) and so any useful tips/knowledge/advice is useful.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 16, 2015

The stopping is more telling than anything, in particular with a Seiko - the magic lever is very efficient, so at the very least this watch likely needs a service.

As I have said here before many times (as well as others have said it) unless the seller can provide you proof that the watch has been serviced recently (not just a statement that it has but proof in the form of a service receipt or something) then always assume it will need servicing when you decide to buy it. If it turns out you don't need to service it, consider that a bonus.

If you decide to send it back or not depends on how much you like it I guess. I would at least speak to the seller and let them know what's happening, and possibly you can work out a solution. Although it's not completely impossible that something happened in transit, from what you have described I think it's unlikely to be related to shipping damage, and I assume if the package was damaged you would have noted that with the carrier so a claim can be filed...

Cheers, Al

8. pascs Jun 16, 2015

From my limited experience with the 6309 it is a relatively tough movement going on the fact that there are thousands for sale and they seem to last for ages without being serviced. I have a few 6309 watches and movements which I've stripped, cleaned and oiled and they have been pretty accurate and reliable once regulated.

It sounds to me like the movement needs a service, unfortunately even though the seller has good feedback doesnt mean much when it comes to a service. Mostly they just check the watch is running.

Actually with a Seiko you are just going on the case back for the date of manufacture, the movement itself has no date on it and are often swapped around to create a better watch.