Forums Latest Members

How do you wrap up your year?

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 1, 2018

The family and I went Christmas tree cutting today.

IMG_20181201_201032.jpg

December is a month of celebration. My wife is so into christmas, the house basically barfs Christmas decorations as soon as the clock strikes 12 on Dec 1.

Family events every weekend from now until end of year, and doubled between Dec 23, 24, 25.

As a New Year's tradition, we have a blow out bash for a friends birthday on Dec 30, and stay home on the 31.

What do you do this time of year?

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 1, 2018

Oh, wait, edit to add.. I haven't been able to land a speedmaster in a while, so...

20181120_105303.jpg 20181119_200634.jpg 20181106_124531.jpg 20181115_145301.jpg

3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 1, 2018

Our holiday season starts right after Thanksgiving and runs at least one week into January -- so a good 5-6 weeks. We kick it off by hosting a Christmas party in early December (12th year this year), so the tree needs to go up the week after Thanksgiving. And for my office we usually have a dinner at a nice restaurant a week or two before Christmas. We often visit my sister and her family in Pennsylvania for a few days, and also have a Christmas at our house. That gets followed by New Years (big spread of Russian stuff for my wife) and then Russian Christmas. There is also a half-day adventure on a Christmas Train for our son in early/ mid-December.

In between all of this work must go on. We usually have a lot of deadline for gov't projects around the holidays (they like to have the deliverables on their desks January 2, when they return from holiday vacations), plus all of the year-end financial stuff needed to close out our fiscal year.

The holiday season is never boring for me.

merchandiser, shishy, Baz9614 and 6 others like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 1, 2018

Invite friends over to kill all the 1/2 filled bottles I’ve got laying around.

It’s also not boring for me.

5. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Dec 1, 2018

Skateboard. :thumbsup:

C7A53FDE-158B-4B07-9957-0F1BD07CBD7A.jpeg

69ADC46A-9936-44AA-BCBE-A31DA4829CD6.jpeg

2C6E0699-6B01-4126-BEB6-24339CAE4C28.jpeg

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 1, 2018

Baz9614 and Nathan1967 like this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 1, 2018

I remember the days of orphans and bastards Thanksgivinga and Christmases... :

Baz9614, Nathan1967 and Foo2rama like this.
  8. lillatroll Dec 2, 2018

We don t do much. We have no children so we kind of just let Christmas pass by. I think we have had pizza and a few beers for the last couple of years. We do not buy gifts either.

This year my wife will go to Finland and I will go home to see my family. It will save us a bit of holiday time and some money. I am looking forward to it,especially as for the first time since we were teenagers, my group of close childhood friends will all be home for Christmas. We have have known each other for 40 years. We are going to have a big party on the 23rd. Can t wait. I will also get to try on my ultraman for the first time.

New Years eve, I think we have gone to bed before midnight most years before 10pm and gone running on new years day.

I think my post makes me come across like a bit of a grinch. I like Christmas but I have found the less fuss and preparation involved the more enjoyable it is. If we had children then I would make a bigger effort for them. Merry Christmas OF.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 2, 2018

Darwin is hot and humid as hell around Christmas.
    Actually just put my name down to work Chrismas Day to let the guys on shift like @oddboy with a few liittle tackers that still enjoy Christmas to be able to take the day off.

My Christmas and birthdays all come in the shape of the ' Run-Off ' fishing in March

10. alam Dec 2, 2018

@oddboy careful now, this thread could quickly transform itself into how the Christmas tree industry and those greety farmers are recklessly contributing to global warming :)

Edited Dec 2, 2018
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 2, 2018

I love you!!! Will you be my spirit animal?

In other words odd boy gets me!

Baz9614, Nathan1967 and oddboy like this.
  12. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Dec 2, 2018

Absolutely. :D

58D27150-ACE1-4BE5-9298-43F8D069CDED.jpeg

Edited Dec 2, 2018
  13. calalum Dec 2, 2018

Visiting some faraway places and then golf at Blue Canyon CC for several days on a special island with friends and family.

Nathan1967 and oddboy like this.
  14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 2, 2018

Mighty fine of you @STANDY , I used to do that in the days before The Arrival, and will probably do the same when they're gone, if I last that long.

STANDY and Nathan1967 like this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 2, 2018

First I work like an insane person for the first two weeks of December. We sometimes leave town for warm places and/or to visit family. Mostly we like a tree, fire and cocktails with friends. First X Mass without Banzai is going to be sad. I like to use the solstice light to reflect and prepare for the coming year. Naturally there is the year in review watch list and the WTF moments that come with it.

merchandiser, Nathan1967 and oddboy like this.
  16. alam Dec 2, 2018

In two weeks, flying south where the high/low temps will remain in the 80s during the day and high 60s F in the evening. We are going for a (fairly large) family and close friends gathering to celebrate the wedding of the only niece in my family - definitely looking forward to spend two weeks with the family and dipping in the pool and jet skiing over Caribbean waters! ...therefore, the Seamaster is joining us during the Holidays! yay! pics will follow! ;)

:cool:

IMG_1193.jpg
  17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 2, 2018

Our tradition is to invite family to our home in California (most are out of state in cold climate) for crab dinner and clam chowder. We have been doing this for as long as I can remember and most times the weather is nice enough to eat outside on the back patio. Our other tradition is to go see the play called the Grinch, did it up until last year (17 years running) but we will now opt for the movie given our kids are now college age (and the fact that I started falling asleep during the play the last couple years, and prices are way out of control).

18. haqq777 Dec 2, 2018

Christmas lights are up. Year wrapped. No one bother me anymore, said the sulking grinch to his wife as he sat down to watch Netflix, lol.

Interestingly enough, we don't celebrate Christmas (follow the other popular holy book). But we were always taught to share in joy of the season and I personally love Christmas as well so why not! :)

Have a happy, healthy and joyous holiday season fellow OF members!

20181202_180407.jpg
  19. Nathan1967 Dec 2, 2018

Oh! It’s that time of year already? Just 15 working days to go and it’ll be another mad dash to get over the line.
    Before that, we’ve got the kids nativity plays next week. Then early family Christmas with my wife’s Family and their Friends. A few Carol singing events in the village.
    Then it’s a quiet Christmas Day with just us and the kids, knee deep in wrapping paper.....new pyjamas, perfect, off to my Folks for Boxing Day, then heading away to the French Alps For Skiing over the New Year.....again with my Wife’s Family and Friends. I dislike the idea of NYE partying and will no doubt be asleep at 10 on top of a pile of coats, leaving the Missus embarrassed and seething.....then it’s back to work on the 7th Jan for a massive detox and the whole process starts all over again.
    Thinking about it now, makes me think what a fantastic time of year December is, extended time spent with those that you love the most , life doesn’t get much better than that. I can’t wait.

Have a great December everyone!

20. mikekchc Dec 5, 2018

Hearing all of your Xmas adventures makes me think that I have a drinking problem...

December is usually a busy time at work for me, but I'm off a good week before the holidays. Tomorrow I have a party with colleagues at work which usually results in a day off for recovery on Friday. This is followed by another party the week after...

Xmas is usually spent with family in Toronto where it's colder and snowier. Usually lots of Christmas festivals with eggnog and mornings with coffee and baileys

the difficult thing will be deciding which of my watches to bring with me

I come back home in the New Years to many more gatherings and drinks.