Forums Latest Members

How do you determine the movement/approximate age of your Speedmaster

1. vbxprt Dec 1, 2020

I am new to the forums, and this is my second Omega, purchased used so I apologize in advance if there is a FAQ or something else on the forum you could direct me to.

I am trying to determine the movement and approximate age of the following:

Black Dial Speedmaster Automatic, photo below
    Serial Number on the back begins with 554.
    I *think* the model number is 175.0032-1. At least that was what was posted with this watch.

So, the questions I have are:

1. Is this a "modern" omega watch? i.e. I'm in the wrong forum
    2. I think it is a 1990-1999 era, or maybe 2000s?
    3. From what I read here it could contain a different movement, but I believe it is an 1143. Is there any way to tell w/o removing the back.

20201201_102441.jpg
  2. amfalconer Dec 1, 2020

That's a Speedmaster reduced, I suppose it's a relatively modern watch compared to the Speedmaster lineage.

As far as I'm aware, it only came with the 1 movement, the calibre 3220, which is fitted with a piggyback chronograph module.

Edit- just checked the reference, it's 3510.50, some checking does give more information on a range of movements , with a 1143 being fitted post 1996, either way it still had an chronograph add on movement.

Bit more info here- https://www.sellwatcheslondon.co.uk/the-omega-speedmaster-automatic-reduced/

Where and how did you come by this watch?

Edited Dec 1, 2020
    vbxprt likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 1, 2020

Can be either an 1143 or 3220 depending on the age. Even older watches that are returned to Omega for service may have the movement swapped, so if it had an 1143 originally, it may have the 3220 now.

Cheers, Al

vbxprt likes this.
  4. vbxprt Dec 1, 2020

eBay for this one. I didn't find out about y'all until AFTER I did that!

My dream watch is the PLANET OCEAN 600M CO-AXIAL CHRONOMETER CHRONOGRAPH 45.5 MM SEAMASTER Titanium on titanium Reference 232.90.46.51.03.001. I'll be looking for that one here, or possibly new. I had a similar one 8 or so years ago and it was stolen.

Thanks for the info and so quickly!

5. vbxprt Dec 1, 2020

Wow, thank you! Omega actually swaps things out? I guess if they have a problem/bug in the works, they replace it?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 1, 2020

These movements are typically swapped at service. The movement removed is sent to Switzerland for refurbishing, and one that has already had that treatment is installed in the watch.

This practice may vary based on the country you are in.