Forums Latest Members

How do you collate your watch information?

1. TexOmega Dec 1, 2017

Each watch get a page like this because that information is from my research prior to or post purchase. Hopefully this will help heirs, or me as memory fades many years down the road:eek:

Take pix of the paper to keep in file on PC plus backup HD for bank box I update periodically.

I label pix on computer showing features that are notable and add value.

I’m a analog guy straddling a digital world and cannot hope to be as organized or uniform in my collating as shown above.

1F6131ED-17D3-451D-875B-8918E20F4315.jpeg B7C5CB73-81DE-4666-8E6F-9AA65BE7CCEB.jpeg
    I use those small tags with string for purchase info and value information attached to each watch, removed while worn not dangling like Minnie Pearl:D

And I have at least one heir into watches, at least he humors my obsession, which is a start!!::psy::

2. Noddyman Dec 1, 2017

Ditto

felsby and Vitezi like this.
  3. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 1, 2017

I do. I am listing all the relevant infos to me for each watch in an inventory file like this :

10D5E4A4-10C8-4DD4-981C-7DFC493D0825.jpeg

Followed by :
    47111564-CA15-4C65-A2F9-97660EC8FDE0.jpeg

Don’t care much about having the pictures in this file but I understand it might be nice to have.

This spreadsheet has two tabs, current inventory and archives allowing me to keep a good track of everything I’ve ever had in my collection. Also very useful to keep the serial / extract infos to evaluate the production period of a new watch based on my own records. (ok @eugeneandresson does it better with www.ilovemyspeedmaster.com but still, I love feeling independent) :D

The prices and values are being managed differently but there I’m still in a work in progress mode. :)

4. MaiLollo Dec 1, 2017

I have a very similar file, in which I track mostly serial numbers, servicing info and all watches that I've ever sold!

ClarendonVintage and kov like this.
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 1, 2017

This is really useful thank you as I had to do a similar thing for my Will before I returned to the land of sand.

I just typed out a detailed description of each watch and who they were to be bequeathed to in the event of my untimely demise.

Mrs Peemacgee got to pick her couple of favourites (interestingly one pie pan and one dome dial but both dog leg Connies)
    As I have no direct heirs the others will go to my nephews - so will become the infamous ‘uncle watches’ :)

Now I’m going to have to do a spreadsheet....

ClarendonVintage and kov like this.
  6. Edward53 Dec 1, 2017

I just keep a Word file with what I paid for a watch, when I bought it, case and movement refs and when it was serviced. But I don't have many watches and I like to keep my life as simple as possible.

ClarendonVintage likes this.
  7. dodo44 Dec 1, 2017

Filemaker Pro (custom database)

8. ClarendonVintage Dec 1, 2017

Nah it only makes us appreciate it more.

9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 1, 2017

Now THAT is top organization :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

kov likes this.
  10. Looneytoons Dec 1, 2017

Perhaps a forumite with skills in spreadsheet/database could design and post a template that could be downloaded and used
    by others. I simply do not have the skills to do this otherwise I would give it a crack.

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 1, 2017

Unless it's an open format thing it would be difficult to satisfy all users. Windows? Mac? Linux? MS Office? Numbers? etc.etc.

I use an MS Access 2013 database with each watch allocated an inventory number based on the physical spot it has in the drawers, e.g.: A3 means it in box A number three slot.

Only trouble is that I packed them all into the safe when we went on holiday to Europe and when I unpacked them they just got put in any old position.

So now I just figure "Let the beneficiaries sort it all out".

Looneytoons and ClarendonVintage like this.
  12. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 2, 2017

A google document (sheet) -> works like excel, sits on the web linked to your google account, is accessible everywhere/on any device, regardless.

https://www.google.com/sheets/about/

Edit : I.e. 'someone' could create the 'template' in google sheets, share it, and you could all view it, then save/download a local copy (in whatever format you choose) and then upload it 'privately' into your own google account (via sheets). I might just do that using @kov 's columns as a template, if I do, i will share it here...

Edited Dec 2, 2017
    felsby and Looneytoons like this.
  13. Looneytoons Dec 2, 2017

Thank you! That's an elegant solution to the format/OS quandary.

14. EdtheAussie Dec 2, 2017

I currently have a binder with plastic sleeves I put receipts, service information etc.. in for each watch, but will one day get around to making a spread sheet.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 2, 2017

Now that's funny ;)
    ( mainly as my post on the last page is true and have the last few watches I bought sitting in a fruit bowl awaiting straps )

16. Wongo Dec 2, 2017

Photo in Phone then open a folder for places I’ve put them. First step to sort out where the f is my watch gone question. Had a watch mixed up between 2 deposit box so started to take photos and sorting them out this way.

17. M'Bob Dec 2, 2017

The problem with such uber organization is that you short-change one of the profound joys of watch collecting: stumbling upon a great watch you had tucked away somewhere, and had forgotten about.

sxl2004 likes this.
  18. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Oct 31, 2018

Thanks, kov - very useful. I am establishing a Google Sheets file with a little inspiration from your screenshots :)

kov likes this.
  19. Waltesefalcon Oct 31, 2018

I just have little index cards with the information for the watch included under the watch in whichever box I have the watch stored in.

superfly likes this.
  20. ras47 Nov 1, 2018

Excel. Great for researching a potential purchase. When I got bitten by the Speedmaster bug I quickly learned there were A LOT of choices. Excel helped me organize my data and sort it, narrowing down the possibilities until....

Speedy-31-1.jpg