Forums Latest Members
  1. sheepdoll Jul 28, 2022

When logging some of my watch case numbers I found I can not figure out how to open this one:

(note the dial is silver not sure why it came out gold under the flourecent light)

IMG_3293.png

Here is the back. This looks like it fit into a larger outer case with a rubber gasket in a grove. There seems to be a divot where a case opener can be inserted. I see a lot of scratches near it (and mea culpa I added a few more this evening.)
    IMG_3295.png
    I know some seamaster cases are opened from the front and use a split stem. But before I start tugging on the stem I thought I might ask for advice here first.

-j

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 28, 2022

The movement is contained in a "tuna can" and sealed by the crystal and associated plastic gasket.
    From memory it has a split stem, which when removed will allow you to use a pump to increase pressure inside the case until the crystal pops off.

Mark020 likes this.
  3. sheepdoll Jul 28, 2022

Guess I will not be opening it in the near future. You are correct about the split stem. For all the stuff I do have, I do not have the necissary pump. Surprisingly the watch runs. The only reason I would have opened it would be to document the date and movement caliber (so I do not have to keep opening things to see what they are.)

-j

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 28, 2022

Caliber 1012, approx 1970 to 1979.

5. noless Jul 28, 2022

sheepdoll likes this.
  6. Canuck Jul 28, 2022

Remove the crown by pulling it outward to release the crown and stud from the internal stem. The stem will be in the hand setting position, so you’l need to apply a tool to reach through the case tube to press the split stem inward to the run position. The movement, case back, and crystal then can be pressed out of the case by using a crystal press. Maybe have somebody do this for you, if you are unsure. Are you sure you can do what is needed to the movement, if you do get it out of the case? Then, you have to be able to get it back together!

7. sheepdoll Jul 28, 2022

The only reason to open it would be to note the case number caliber and SN. It is nice however to see the outer case. I do not think I have it. The 1970s had some wierd designs. The calculator watches must have been presenting some real pressure on the traditional industry. It really looks like there were attempts to lock out the independent repairer or to keep the home factories from making 'fakes'

Ironic as Switzerland was the low wage country before WWI. Where a lot of other countries like the US dumped the stateless immigrants. (At least according the the IWC marketing literature regarding their founder.) On the flip side 80,000 Swiss came to Northern California for the gold rush. (mostly from the Italian cantons) This includes Sutter who discovered gold. And Ghiradelli who makes chocolate. (one summer I did part time weekend work there leading costume history tours.) They still fly the Swiss flag over the capitol of California at the sutters fort state park. It could be argued Silicon Valley is Switzerland's only colony. Older residents like myself remember the 'Italian Swiss colony' Winery and it's Disney like floor show.

The other industry the Swiss lost was the home 8mm cine film processing. That was more in the 1980s so may not have come as a big of a surprise. I have a fascinating article in one of the trade magazines about this. To this days the small chip resistors (what are holding up a lot of manufacturing.) Come on reel almost identical to 8 and 16mm cine film. The automated pick and place machines evolved out of swizerland (some say japan.) This was designed for the quartz watches, and the chip on die packageless mounting.

-j

wsfarrell likes this.