Forums Latest Members
  1. Watchguy31-us Jun 8, 2014

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221458032187?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Since I've fallen in love with Vintage Omega's....I've dreamed of a black dialed Connie with a date. The waffle with the date at the 6 remains my grail, but here is a "fill in" that I got.

I ended up getting it for $590.

Thoughts?

I realize the dial is touched up, but it looks great otherwise.

590 for a GF, serviced, black-dialed connie seems a little too good to be true...;

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 8, 2014

Something fishy about the dial. I couldn't remember that Omega produce any black dialed C case Connie. Let others give their opinion.

3. Watchguy31-us Jun 8, 2014

Hey PD,

I did find some others online...that isn't to say they are legit either.

Either way, I win. I pay. I see it as either an okay buy (cool for the layman, bogus for the hardcore collector) or an absolute steal.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2014

The dial is refinished. The case is rather worn. Movement looks dirty, but may be OK. I would value it about $400 as it is a 564.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 8, 2014

Sorry to say but unfortunately it's a parts watch and the parts aren't in nice shape. I think even $400 might be a bit high for this one.

6. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2014

Just one:

::facepalm2::

Please ask before buying, especially about a black dialed Omega. You know we'd help you out.

7. Watchguy31-us Jun 8, 2014

Damn.

8. Watchguy31-us Jun 8, 2014

Just so I learn from this...to my eye, the case looks great. What aspects do you more seasoned collectors see that tell you it is worn?

As for the movement...I get servicing for close to nothing by a former Omega WM. I'm not worried about that.

9. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2014

First, the dial is refinished as noted already.

Second, the bezel is so polished it's rounded. It should have a defined edge between the top and side with a sunburst brushing pattern on the top.

Third, the polished facet between the case surface and the sides is gone too - also from over aggressive polishing. The circular brushing pattern on the surface of the lugs is gone as is the straight lengthwise brushing pattern on the case sides.

Fourth, the medallion is missing stars from over polishing.

Lastly, the movement looks like it's been cobbled together from parts.

Pictures from the listing:

$_57.JPG

$_57-1.JPG

$_57-2.JPG

$_57-3.JPG

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2014

Remember, if you are concerned about drawing attention to a watch, you can always ask for opinions via PM.

11. Dablitzer Jun 8, 2014

Too bad it's a redial. Would of been nice to find a C shape with original black dial!

Here's a steel version I just picked up... I think you can probably find more steel versions in nice shape than gold. Notice it's more brushed and less shiny. While not perfect it's how I like to find them..

[​IMG]

12. Watchguy31-us Jun 8, 2014

Ulackfocus,
    Your last point about the "cobbled together movement" is the biggest disappointment. At the end of the day, I personally only care about the movement.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 8, 2014

I don't know that I would be too disappointed. I know many here take the different colours of the various plates in a movement as a sure sign that these are from different movements, and yes sometimes that is probably the case, but not always.

Plating can flake off of these movements easily, and it's not always consistent in how it happens between plates on s specific movement, or even on a single plate within a movement. I would not automatically say this was cobbled together because the parts are different colours personally, but YMMV.

Cheers, Al

14. Watchguy31-us Jun 14, 2014

Thanks all---might have dodged a bullet here. I received the watch yesterday and it doesn't work.

I'm going to give the seller the opportunity to pay for a full service, otherwise it'll be a refund.

I'm guessing it'll be the latter.

That being said, does anyone want to be a Connie consultant if this one falls through? I'm leery about posting them to the forum as the good ones immediately fall off the board when I do that.

There will be a brand new Omega highlights book in it for you'

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 14, 2014

You can consult us in forum BEFORE you bid.... or if you do not want lurkers steal your bid, ask the experts via PM. There are quite few C case connie experts around here.
    We guard each other in here from the attack of franken, redial and poor condition watches......

16. Watchguy31-us Jun 14, 2014

Understood, sir!

I thought I was getting the "steal of the century" on this one.

I guess there is still a chance the seller will pay for a service.