How can you tell if a whole watch is 18K

Assuming the caseback is clearly 18K, how would you tell if the case itself is too? If it's gold plated, would it be gold plated on the inside where it can't be seen?

Do you have any way of recognizing between 14K gold filled and 18K?

If the case-back is clearly marked as solid 18k, the whole case is almost certainly 18k. Feel free to post photos of any marks you see on the case.

Like 1
Note that many solid gold cases have spacers or movement holders which are not gold even though the case itself is solid gold.

Photos would help.

I don't have it yet so I can't post photos, will do when I get it.

On a sidenote, I was told that one lug is a bit bent, like just slightly. Is that a huge issue? Is it worth the risk straightening it? And is the bent lug a good indicator of the whole watch being 18K?

Also, do I need to be extra careful when picking a watch maker to service it if it's 18K? Does it require more skills?(for example opening it without scratching it)

I don't have it yet so I can't post photos,
Did you buy this sight unseen or do you have listing photos that you can maybe share?
On a sidenote, I was told that one lug is a bit bent, like just slightly. Is that a huge issue? Is it worth the risk straightening it? And is the bent lug a good indicator of the whole watch being 18K?
Honestly, these are all questions worth asking before the purchase was made. Bent lugs, no matter if it’s “slight”, are an issue. Of course there is a risk in straightening:
Bending lugs can be tricky. Even if you manage to do it without breaking a lug off, often the bend that happens when you bend it back is not the exact reverse of what happened when the bend happened (likely from a drop) initially.

Bending lugs back can actually bend/distort the case, and if the watch has a snap on back, or is a front loader that relies on the bezel to help hold the crystal in place, they can be quite risky.
And no, a bent lug is not a sign of the watch being 18k. Yes, gold is a soft metal, but I have seen many steel watches with bent lugs.

Like 1
I am convinced that some goofballs hold watches in a bench vise when trying to open them.

Like 1
I am convinced that some people ask questions after making purchases instead of before...

Like 5
Depending on what lugs it has…a bent lug could be an issue.

At least tell us what we are commenting on here.

A 18k watch doesn’t need a special watchmaker.

The good news is that, while it may be problematic, a slightly bent lug will likely be less of an issue than a hugely bent lug.

Like 1
I don't have it yet so I can't post photos, will do when I get it.

Also, do I need to be extra careful when picking a watch maker to service it if it's 18K? Does it require more skills?(for example opening it without scratching it)
I had an 18kt Cellini. Mind you it was quartz but I went to one idiot to replace the battery and he put a nice mark on it. After that I just stayed with the few good watch makers I knew or did it myself when I obtained a quality tool. I don’t think you will have much of a Problem gold is less forgiving than steel of course but tbh all the years I had it I only had that one scratch from the knucklehead who was posing as the new best jeweler in town.

Thanks for all the tips.

I don't have it yet. But since everyone is asking:
IMG_20240814_041030.jpg
How bad is it?

You're going to need a skilled jeweler to fix that without causing more damage, good luck.

You're going to need a skilled jeweler to fix that without causing more damage, good luck.
Can a jeweler remove the watch internals and open it? Should I ask a watch maker to disassemble it first?

Would a skilled watchmaker be able to fix it too?

TBH, unless there is something tremendously special about the watch, I think you should probably just leave it. As long as you can squeeze the strap between the lugs, the watch is wearable. It would be a shame to damage the case while attempting to straighten it. If you really find it bothers you, you can always sell it and buy another, and next time you'll know better.

Like 2
Why are you being so coy with the info? If you want meaningful advice it going to help if you post all the photos you have along with a description and price.

Otherwise everyone’s giving you generic advice that’s isn’t necessarily specific or accurate to your wqtxh.

Like 4
Why are you being so coy with the info? If you want meaningful advice it going to help if you post all the photos you have along with a description and price.

Otherwise everyone’s giving you generic advice that’s isn’t necessarily specific or accurate to your wqtxh.

Look at OPs post history, they're almost all weird. ::confused2::

Like 1
Look at OPs post history, they're almost all weird. ::confused2::
Lol. I will post pics if I manage to buy it(it's a Seiko watch and the price is around 1000$). The bent lug isn't that big of a deal I suppose.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Lol. I will post pics if I manage to buy it(it's a Seiko watch and the price is around 1000$). The bent lug isn't that big of a deal I suppose.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Refusing to post pictures is not in tune with the spirit or function of the forum.

Like 3