Forums Latest Members

How big does a 42mm El Primero wear?

1. arcadelt Oct 25, 2016

Hi All. I've done a rudimentary search, but couldn't readily find an answer to the subject question. Can someone who has both a 42mm El Primero and any of the following watches listed tell me how they compare in the wearing stakes (width, length and height):

* Omega Speedmaster Professional
    * Breitling Old Navitimer II
    * Rolex Submariner Ceramic
    * Girard-Perregaux based on the 49585 40mm case

And while a suggestion to go and try one on at an AD would normally be appropriate and helpful, please refrain, as I live 400km from any AD and exercise this hobby remotely.

2. Georgieboy58 Oct 25, 2016

Have to admit that my EP is an extreme example (even more 43ish), but here it is side by side with my 145.022-69:

IMG_1700.JPG IMG_1702.JPG IMG_1704.JPG

RobSh, jsaen and ELV web like this.
  3. arcadelt Oct 25, 2016

Is that really a 42mm El Primero? It makes your Speedy look like a child's watch.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2016

42mm Planet Ocean
    42mm El Primero

IMG_2278.jpg
    IMG_2275.jpg

5. Georgieboy58 Oct 25, 2016

As mentioned it is more like 43 mm but due to the fat bezel and the thickness it feels extremely massive; only to be beaten by the 48 mm Breitling Chronomat:

IMG_1711.JPG

WillsA and Jwit like this.
  6. arcadelt Oct 25, 2016

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't own or have access to a PO to compare.

7. ulackfocus Oct 25, 2016

So how are we supposed to show you comparisons? Are you volunteering to send your 4 watches to somebody that has a 42mm EP?

8. arcadelt Oct 25, 2016

No need to get shirty.

As a member with 21K+ posts, I would have thought carefully reading the original post would be a skill you would value. I clearly requested "someone who has both a 42mm El Primero and any of the following watches listed tell me how they compare in the wearing stakes". I appreciate you taking the time to reply; however, while you own the kind of 42mm EP I was thinking of, if you do not have one of the listed watches as well, you really cannot help.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2016

But which el primero, even at 42 they wear differently. You can't fault people for trying to help

I Think Dennis's point is that your specific quest is a difficult find, perhaps unrealistic, and you made need to pursue a more productive inquiry with an alternative methodology.

PS. you haven't seen shirty yet.

rolokr, Pun, Paedipod and 2 others like this.
  10. kurtj29 Oct 25, 2016

I have a Speedmaster 3507.51 which has - as far as I know - a 42mm moon watch case (it is not a reduced!) and a 42mm El Primero Striking 10th. I have measured both and the cases are the same size. BUT the El Primero wears much bigger due to the bezel-less all-dial design. The watch dial is therefore very large and makes the watch look a lot bigger than the Speedmaster. I love it. It is a beautiful watch. I love both. But after wearing the El Primero the Speedmaster seems small, it takes a couple of hours to get used to again.

I can't say enough about the El Primero - it is such a great watch. Get one if you can, you will not be disappointed.

IMG_1836.JPG

Pun and Chrono_man like this.
  11. arcadelt Oct 25, 2016

I didn't fault anyone, and I appreciate the help so far.

Fair enough. However, I just looked through the Zenith website to confirm, and the El Primero comes in 38, 42 and 45mm case sizes. I presume this company is like most, and they use the same cases for a variety of different watches, just with different configurations. Admittedly, those with rotating bezels significantly change the look, but most with fixed bezels (Chronomaster, Chronograph, Winsor, 36'000 VPH, Range Rover, etc) are pretty similar - after all, the way a watch "wears" is as much a function of the aesthetic as the raw specifications.

Anyway, I didn't specify a particular model as I didn't want to limit which 42mm El Primeros people owned, because I already had a very narrow list at my end. Be that as it may, @ulackfocus does own the type that I am interested in, just not a watch like the ones I own so I could compare.

I don't think it is unreasonable to think that someone will come along that has, say a Speedmaster Pro and an El Primero Tricolour, and can tell me their impressions - after all, they are both pretty popular and ubiquitous watches. Who knows, I may even get a photo of the two next to each other.

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2016

I am not sure I understand which watch you are referring to that ULF owns? I do not believe he owns a Zenith.

13. ulackfocus Oct 25, 2016

Not anymore.

14. arcadelt Oct 25, 2016

Thanks @kurtj29 - that is a perfect response, and nice of you to provide a photo too.

I understand what you mean about the size impression left by the bezel-less design - that is very much the same with my Navitimer. The effect would be even greater with your Speedy though, because it has that two-tone dial and the inner black part draws your eye in even further.

Could you tell me: ignoring the impression left by the difference in dial size, do the cases sit about the same on your wrist? From your picture the Zenith looks a little longer from 12 to 6 o'clock than the Speedy, so do the lugs hang off more? For example, my GP has a lug tip to lug tip length of about 50mm, which is about 3-4mm larger than the Speedmaster, but because the GP lugs curve a lot at the end, they sort of hug the wrist. The El Primero seems to have much straighter lugs though, so I wonder how that sits?

15. arcadelt Oct 25, 2016

Sorry, my mistake - it was your EP and PO, so you own the type I am interested in. Not even sure now why @ulackfocus chimed in.

16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 25, 2016

Uh, because he can? He is a very active member of this forum, as well as a moderator. He was pointing out why he thought it might be difficult to get the desired responses to your query. While it appears he misinterpreted your OP, and that derailed things a bit, anyone registered on the forum can replay to a new thread, whether they have the information sought or not. It is all part of the fun that comes with privately-owned and funded forums

17. ulackfocus Oct 25, 2016

My 'asinine post' detector went off. :D

18. arcadelt Oct 25, 2016

So you think my post was:

[​IMG]

19. redpcar Oct 25, 2016

::popcorn::

George.A and arcadelt like this.
  20. ulackfocus Oct 25, 2016

Lighten up Francis. My first post in this thread was not "shitty" and my second was a joke. You're the one reading hostility into it.