Forums Latest Members

How Annoying Is Ems Tracking

1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 12, 2013

So, I'm waiting on something from the states, which was posted Express Mail International (3~5 business days) and the tracking says it has been sitting at JFK airport for 4 days
    Capture.PNG
    I'm sure it hasn't, but it is so frustrating when it isn't regularly updated! You know what would be great, GPS tracking, so you could monitor it over the Pacific in real time!!

Or at least tell me it has been put on a plane, or something!!!

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2013

I could not tell you about registered mail in Oz, however in the US registered is one of the worst and slowest ways to send something. Express fine, signature confirmation fine, Registered not good. The reason is Registered must be kept in a locked security bin and signed for by each employee that moves it. (really) . This slows delivery by days. On top of this it means the package will not get update scanning as often as other trackable mail.

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 12, 2013

Usually you can take that same code and plug it in to Australia post. Often Auspost will provide tracking details before USPS does (within Australia).

They're pretty slow at the moment. Here's one of mine:
    Screen Shot 2013-03-13 at 09.17.20.png
    Auspost-side doesn't show anything (yet).

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 12, 2013

This isn't registered (at least I don't think it is).

By the way, it has now gone backwards - from the International Sorting Centre at JFK to to Kearney NJ.....

5. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 12, 2013

Isn't priority supposed to be the quicker service too? Mine has been out even longer. Usually there's updates by now. I'm not worried, it's just annoying how "tracking" doesn't actually track much at all.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 12, 2013

Silly question!
    For international services:
    - Global Express Guaranteed (USPS uses Fedex for this) - 1-3 days
    - Express Mail 3-5 days
    - Priority Mail 6-10
    - First Class Mail - take your chances

Kind of like naming of cars, where "Executive" is entry level!

7. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 12, 2013

Ah, yes. I always mix up USPS express/priority. I'd actually wanted that one shipped Express, oops.

Fedex is the only company I've had consistent success with. You get what you pay for. When I was doing Aus immigration paperwork a few years ago, they were the only company I'd trust with important documents (that can't be late or missing).

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 12, 2013

Global express guaranteed works great. This was the only mode that clear Indonesian customs below 1 day. EMS around 8 days. Priority around 14 days. Even Fedex stays above 7 days in customs and they require several document from me emailed first.
    First class? Only if you want to send brochure or spam

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 12, 2013

FedEx :)

Currently the only way I will ship international.

10. Dablitzer Mar 13, 2013

My Fedex experience has always been good. You get your item first rather than waiting and worrying about it being sat in customs. It's also highly trackable and clear. Only downside is you get your duty and import fees shock afterwards and unexpectedly...

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  11. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 13, 2013

For domestic US I occasionally use registered mail. I admit it is slow and not really traceable in real time, and somewhat of a pain to wrap, but it is very safe and sure, and relatively economical. I just sent a $2300 watch to be repaired yesterday for $21. It's not something that needs to be there the next day, or even in a few days...

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 13, 2013

My last registered came from Australia and was lost in the USA for 8 weeks. You can send domestic Express with signature required and it is fast, track-able, and safer in my view.

13. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 13, 2013

I was just speaking for domestic US shipping. For international I wouldn't use it.

14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 13, 2013

just an update on mine, gone in full circles:
    NY NY - Jamica NY - JFK - Kearny NJ - Jamaica NY - JFK
    Capture.PNG

15. ulackfocus Mar 13, 2013

Stuck in a loop. Is there a single subway line that runs under all those places? If so, it got left under one of the seats. :p

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 13, 2013

Your watch is enjoying New York city tour...........:cool:

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 13, 2013