Forums Latest Members
  1. Charles@UW Sep 16, 2016

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-...H9vAqy7FY50baPNEF5ipI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

For this S58, I know the case is polished, which is OK for me. But are these lugs in the picture bend? Or just the photo angle?
    S58.PNG
    Also, my main concern is the dial. What happened about that area around star? Is that a wash mark?
    There are surely some minor faults too, crown, glass, etc...

Under this crazy market and the price point of view, am I doing OK? Any thoughts and opinions are welcomed. Thanks in advanced.

Regards,

Charles

2. cristos71 Sep 16, 2016

For me this watch is too far gone, the dial looks like it has seen a cleaning attempt or was perhaps flooded at some point as well as having the classic "lazy watchmaker" marks around the central hands pinion. The case lugs look rounded from polishing,but not bent and the bezel battered.

I can't really comment on the pricing as I'm not well versed on the S.58, so it may well be that it was cheap, but on the other hand it ain't all that pretty.

I'd describe it as one of those watches that if the frothiness of the market was to subside, then this would be the kind of condition watch to first suffer heavily.

Jwit, MMMD, alam and 2 others like this.
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 16, 2016

Very well summarized, Cristos. Rare enough to tempt, but a very very tired example. This is an example of a watch that simply depletes $$$ reserves so that there is not enough ammo when real game appears in the crosshairs.

4. Charles@UW Sep 16, 2016

Thank you all for your inputs. Very plain and straightforward.

5. wristpirate Sep 16, 2016

It seems a good price, but I feel when you try to make the watch "whole" it will cost more overall than a good example of this model.

Btw I was watching this auction and chose not to bid at all. I'm not looking for another project watch at the moment!

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 16, 2016

Not close to being an attractive purchase, even at half the final bid, in my view.

Look, I understand that most collectors aren't primarily concerned about investment value, and some have much higher tolerances for flaws than others. But there isn't a single, major component of that watch that is in better than fair-to-good condition, and some are quite poor.

Even as a project watch I wouldn't have had an interest.

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Sep 16, 2016

The condition is a shame, because a sharp example of this reference would be very desirable indeed. The movement is of course a cal 71, not a cal 133.8 as the seller states. The S.58 is a very cool vehicle for this rare and excellent engine.

8. m neuman What, me worry? Sep 17, 2016

The best thing to do is fold your money and put it back in your pocket, this way you double it!
    This watch has had its time, and it is over. You want Cesar's wife not his discards!

9. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Sep 19, 2016

All too true. Been there before

10. Charles@UW Sep 19, 2016

Lol, love the expression about folding money. And advice been taken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk