Hot Takes: Speedmaster Moonwatch 321 “Ed White”/“Cernan” in Stainless Steel (2020)

Well done! 👍

Now maybe you have a good idea how improve this one? 😗

Nice work. Did you do it yourself or have someone do it for you?

Done for me by a friend with the right equipment and proficiency. Wasn’t rocket surgery … took a bit of time to measure and align and to make a jig to clamp it properly. Figured there was not much downside to the mod as it is a modern bracelet & parts are (or soon will be) available if things had gone awry.

Definitely a better fit for me, quick and easy to adjust & IMO adds to the vintage aesthetic.

👍

While we’re here again, I’m now 6 months into owning this watch and continue to give it the highest marks.

In particular I’d amplify that this watch has only become more aesthetically beautiful as it has settled into the collection. To the uninitiated, of course, most might never consciously register why this Speedmaster strikes a heightened look compared to a modern standard issue. But the “hot takes” offered in this and similar threads regarding the aesthetic nuances (dial depth, truly straight lugged case, the just-so coloration of lume, length of hash marks, etc.) all come together to achieve a fit, finish and overall aesthetic that isn’t matched by anything else in at least my collection or that I can think of seeing in the flesh.

At the same time, it’s either sporty or elegant depending on how it’s dressed.

Still available of course is the critique of whether these subtle nuances in aesthetic, when compared to the FOIS, justify the material increase in price. The answer to this specific question remains I think purely personal, depending on an individual’s budget, frugality, sentimentality, emotional valuation of relative rarity, etc. There’s simply no right answer for all on the FOIS vs SS321B question.

After 6 months with this watch, I’d currently - with confidence - say that were I forced to a “single watch collection” this would be the keeper.

While we’re here again, I’m now 6 months into owning this watch and continue to give it the highest marks.

In particular I’d amplify that this watch has only become more aesthetically beautiful as it has settled into the collection. To the uninitiated, of course, most might never consciously register why this Speedmaster strikes a heightened look compared to a modern standard issue. But the “hot takes” offered in this and similar threads regarding the aesthetic nuances (dial depth, truly straight lugged case, the just-so coloration of lume, length of hash marks, etc.) all come together to achieve a fit, finish and overall aesthetic that isn’t matched by anything else in at least my collection or that I can think of seeing in the flesh.

At the same time, it’s either sporty or elegant depending on how it’s dressed.

Still available of course is the critique of whether these subtle nuances in aesthetic, when compared to the FOIS, justify the material increase in price. The answer to this specific question remains I think purely personal, depending on an individual’s budget, frugality, sentimentality, emotional valuation of relative rarity, etc. There’s simply no right answer for all on the FOIS vs SS321B question.

After 6 months with this watch, I’d currently - with confidence - say that were I forced to a “single watch collection” this would be the keeper.
I tell you what, I completely agree. If I had to go to one, this would be it. It’s everything I want in a watch (maybe an extra 50m of water resistance aside).

plus it looks great on a strap too.

What am I missing here @cvalue13? 😕
Is the first post of this thread MIA / AWOL? 👎

What am I missing here @cvalue13? 😕
Is the first post of this thread MIA / AWOL? 👎

I hadn’t scrolled back to see this was the thread busted in the move / I duplicated the post in the other thread linked by YY77

I’ve always wondered if the EW 321 is noticeably thinner than the FOIS. I only wear my FOiS when I’m wearing short sleeves due to the case height getting stuck on my shirt sleeves.

I’ve always wondered if the EW 321 is noticeably thinner than the FOIS. I only wear my FOiS when I’m wearing short sleeves due to the case height getting stuck on my shirt sleeves.
It’s about a mm thinner, it’s down to the thicker caseback on the FOIS. The original ‘60s Ed White sits thinner on the wrist than both since the plastic crystal is lower and more curved. Get one of those of you are truly concerned by the height.
Edited: