Forums Latest Members

Hoping to buy a vintage Omega, advice much needed: Is this real or fake?

1. lord_brian Apr 7, 2017

Dear all,

I am looking to purchase my first ever vintage Omega in my life. I have come across this vintage Omega on Carousell at a price which I find relatively affordable. I have owned other mechanical watches before but have never bought one in this price rage, so this is kind of a big deal to me. As a new-comer, I have little to nil knowledge about vintage Omega's and have no idea how to spot counterfeits out there. I am really happy to find this community online and would hope to hear some advice from you all. Attached here is the vintage Omega that I am really interested in, it is described as a 1970 Vintage Speedmaster and it measures 34mm. Is this likely to be a real vintage Omega?
    I would really appreciate any comments and inputs!

Cheers!

vintage_omega_seamaster_gold_plated_watch_1970_34mm_1488096158_797d190c.jpg vintage_omega_seamaster_gold_plated_watch_1970_34mm_1488096159_39805b33.jpg vintage_omega_seamaster_gold_plated_watch_1970_34mm_1490355462_2cbdb27a.jpg vintage_omega_seamaster_gold_plated_watch_1970_34mm_1490355463_c348dc92.jpg
  2. lillatroll Apr 7, 2017

There is a stikkee on this page called learn how to fish, read that first. Secondly look at WURW today on the open forum, this will give you an idea of what is out there in terms of different designs. After that try not to fall in love with everything that tickles your fancy, be patient and ask lots of questions before buying anything.
    The watch in the OP looks ok, but hard to tell for sure because of blurry pictures, which indicates one of two things, the seller cares little about watches and just want to get rid of it, or the seller knows exactly what he has and is trying to hide something. Ask for some clear pictures of the dial, caseback and movement with cal number. If he doesn't provide, don t buy it.
    good luck and welcome.

lord_brian likes this.
  3. werdna77 Apr 7, 2017

Hi there and welcome! First off, I was in your position a little more than a year ago - and had the same concerns. This forum has helped a lot and I did a lot of reading and looking at pics.

My first suggestion before you pull the trigger on any first watch is to do the same here on the forum - don't rush the purchase just because a price looks affordable. In fact, if you can always stretch your budget to buy a good example from a reputable seller.

Regarding what you posted - if it's described as a Speedmaster by the seller, that's already just a bad mistake. This looks to me to be a 70s or early 80s Seamaster model - probably a cal 1020 but you would need pic of the case back and movement - a must for vintage buys.

From the pics which are not generally good, this one looks tired. I'm not sure about the black dial variant here either. There are many black dials that are repainted or redone as they are more desired especially for some reason by new buyers.

Anyway - I'd keep looking if I were you.

Why don't you tell us what you like about this watch and maybe someone can recommend a similar style or model.

Good luck !

TNTwatch and lord_brian like this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 7, 2017

I'm not willing to make any judgement on the watch until I see closeup photos that are in focus or not taken from 6 feet away. I also want to see the inside of the caseback and the movement. Also clear, hi res photos that are close up and in focus. Providing a link to the item listing also helps.

lord_brian likes this.
  5. mr_yossarian Apr 7, 2017

::popcorn::

6. ajg1960 Apr 7, 2017

Also would like the groups opinion on this Rolex I found and it seems like a good deal.

IMG_0303.JPG
    ConElPueblo and blacktiger like this.
  7. mr_yossarian Apr 7, 2017

hm..could swear it's a subdweller! buy!

8. blacktiger Apr 7, 2017

:D:D:D:D:D

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 7, 2017

Take this to the Invicta board.

10. lord_brian Apr 7, 2017

Thank you for your advice! I should contact the seller for some clearer pictures before I take the matter any further!

11. pippy Apr 7, 2017

Very good decision.:thumbsup:

12. lord_brian Apr 7, 2017

Thank you for your reply! I am so happy to find such a supportive community online.

I am generally looking for an Omega dress watch which is stylish but not flashy, I prefer it clean and simple and I do not require a chronograph/tachymeter. I would also prefer it to show the date (and the day is less important). Overall, I would love my Omega watch to be an elegant, classic but definitely not ostentatious one. Price is a bit of a concern but I am willing to wait a bit before I can set aside enough money for a watch that I really like.

Vinomega likes this.
  13. werdna77 Apr 8, 2017

Good luck and enjoy the hunt

14. Screwbacks Apr 8, 2017

do it right the first time.

15. Vinomega Apr 9, 2017

Yes, you'll find this forum to be a great and helpful platform, there are chaps here with enough depth to cover all of your Omega queries man. It's down to a science here.... :)
    Yes, your taste and direction for watches somewhat mirrors mine as I find no need for chronographs with stopwatch functions I know I'll never use. But they do have interesting dials though, and maybe, just maybe pulsometers.... I think I might use that one at work someday, but that's just being fancy.
    Welcome aboard.

lord_brian likes this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 9, 2017

So what do they ask for the above watch ? and what's your budget ?

Helps us help you.

17. lord_brian Apr 16, 2017

Hey guys, I have tried to contact the seller for more photos but he has not responded..guess he's just no longer using that platform anymore.
    For the above watch, the seller was asking for just a bit less than USD$500, which is just around my budget for the time being!

Thank you so much guys for the support and help here!