Forums Latest Members
  1. AMBwatches Sep 20, 2013

This is one of my recent services. As you can see in very little need of any work other than customary disassembly, cleaning, and oiling. According to the essay on Omega Constellation Collector about 560s this is one of the rarest variants. What are all your honest opinions about its condition/quality/ true rarity. I appreciate the honesty in advance!

P1017876.JPG P1017868.JPG P1017928(1).jpg P1017856(1).jpg P1017932.JPG
  2. John R Smith Sep 21, 2013

Well, as I'm sure you know it is an American-cased Constellation, 10k gold-filled with a steel screw-in back. The case reference is KL 6312 and is from the 1965 collection, with a cal 560 movement. And it all looks to be in very good condition. It may well be a pretty unusual Connie variation, but as we all know rarity and desirability are sometimes two quite different things ;) which I suspect may be the case here.

3. Sherbie Sep 21, 2013

I agree, the case has had a hard life and a few knocks have been polished out, its go short hand syndrome ( the second sweep hand), the date surround is not right ( at least its not the same as real connies), and not convinced the dial is original - but i,m not an expert on these norman morris specials!

4. Sherbie Sep 21, 2013

And the movement is unadjusted, so not sure this is a connie anyway!

5. John R Smith Sep 21, 2013

The Omega database does not list it as a Constellation, either, so my bad (very bad) for just re-typing AMB's identification. Obviously it is not a Connie - no Constellation or chronometer text on the dial, and non-chrono movement.

6. AMBwatches Sep 21, 2013

Thanks for the feedback! No question this is not a constellation that was never an issue. This is apparently the only one of four known models to use a 560. This is the only non-constellation one and the only one that used an unadjusted 560 (hence its oddball rarity.) The article I am referring to can be found on the following page: http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2009/07/unearthed-more-omega-calibre-560.html

Here it can be seen that the dial for the model explained does indeed seem to match the one pictured in the text.

I agree. Value and rarity are always two different things, it is just always fun to see what people have to say!

7. 124watchfan Sep 21, 2013

Yes A lovely rare 560 variant. As noted rarity and value not necessarily linked. Actually per Desmond's blog, there is at least 10 known cases that housed the 560. I don't doubt Desmond's research but I've seen so many 560s it's really hard for me to believe that only 3k were made. Anyway, it's a nice looking watch with a nice clean dial. The 560 might get you $100 more than a standard one would.

8. AMBwatches Sep 21, 2013

Yeah, I am also skeptical of that 3k number as well as I have happened upon two 560s within about two months of each other.

9. John R Smith Sep 21, 2013

My apologies, AMB, for completely missing the point ::facepalm2::

I can only plead the fact that I had just got up and had not yet had that first cup of coffee . . .

10. AMBwatches Sep 21, 2013

Hahaha, I know that feeling well!

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 21, 2013

Desmond and I have gone back and forth over the years on this question of the "3,000". He had received this information from Omega in Bienne, who admittedly didn't keep complete records on movements produced specifically for export. The cal. 560, being a 17 jewel movement, was only exported to the US.

There were a couple of similar all steel references that contained the cal. 560 that did have Swiss made cases, as the taxes on these were much less onerous than on solid gold. My theory is that the number of 3,000 applies only to these fully Bienne produced watches, rather than raw cal. 560 movements cased here.

If you do a search for these on eBay, there are usually about 6 to 12 available for sale at any point in time.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

12. AMBwatches Sep 21, 2013

Thank you for that! Super helpful!