Forums Latest Members

Honest thoughts on Schumacher Legend

1. dlg Aug 24, 2016

So I was browsing around as we all usually do everyday, and spotted this Omega Speedmaster Automatic 3559 Schumacher Legend, with a white dial. I instantly fell in love, and bought it the next day. Lately though, I'm wondering if the reason I fell in love, is that it looks so similar to a Paul Newman exotic dial Daytona... is it an homage, or do they just look coincidentally similar?

What do you guys think of these pieces, and why aren't they more popular?

It came on a bracelet, and I switched it to black croc deployment that came with my Moonwatch.
    IMG_1080.JPG IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1082.JPG IMG_1083.JPG IMG_1084.JPG

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 24, 2016

I like the look of it. Maybe it's less popular as it's an automatic and so doesn't have that moonwatch heritage?

dlg likes this.
  3. bnabod Aug 24, 2016

I think it looks great moonwatch special or not. You like it and that is what matters the rest is irrelevant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 24, 2016

It is intentional... That being said, I think it is just from a period when Omega was not selling as many watches and the Date/racing line has never been a huge seller.

When I got my 323.32.40.40.04.001 it was due to the lessor similarity to the Daytona Newman. I looked at this one, but went with the "Yeman" instead.

There is one aspect to this series of watches that was not resolved until the racing line. The subdial hands just look so unfinished on these. While mine has a tiny bit of lume, I just wish Omega had done a slightly more upscale looking hands.

ManInBlack likes this.
  5. gostang9 Aug 24, 2016

Your post was going great up until this point...

...and now your starting to slide off course. Why question the reason for liking the look of a particular watch? You either like it or you don't. Does the aestheic nature really benefit from psychoanalysis? I say no...

Opinions may vary here, but in my opinion it is not a direct 'homage', but it certainly has a similar look to it. If you look at vintage and modern chronographs with 3 traditional subdials, there are only so many color combinations and subdial placement options available within the limited real estate of a watch. There are many examples where the dial and subdials are the same color (ie: Speedy Pro Moonwatch), then there are many examples where the subdials are different colors, and of these there are some beautiful examples with either the standard 'panda' or 'reverse panda'. Just because a watch has a white dial with black subdials, does not automatically make it an intentional 'homage' to the Paul Newman in my book. However, if you like the look of a Panda (like the Paul Newman), then there's a stronger chance you'll like the look of this one. I would argue it's the look of both you're drawn to, rather than that one looks like the other...

...and here you've gone off track! ;)
    Difficult to say why the collective watch community doesn't favor this model today as they do some others. The history of watch collecting is full of models not in favor at one time only to become all the rage in the future. The very Paul Newman wasn't very popular in it's day hence the scarcity we see today. Had they been all the rage in the 70's and 80's, Rolex would likely have made more and this may very well have the double effect of increased supply today along with reduced current demand.

For me personally, I don't like the additional black ring on the outside of the dial face (same concern I have with the CK2998 and the Sedna - both of which have some basic appeal to me in that they're 'Pandy'-ish). I also prefer the look of a black bezel. I like it because I like it, while my wife thinks it's 'ugly'... and I care a lot more what she thinks than any stranger on a forum... ;)

As for the 'automatic', that is actually a plus for me. I like the idea of beaing able to wear a watch for a week without having to wind it every day.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  6. gostang9 Aug 24, 2016

Oh, and what I should have responded with was simply, "Great looking watch, wear it and enjoy it!"

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 24, 2016

@gostang9 Its an Hommage to the Newman Daytona or what is also called the Exotic Dialed Daytona. The outer black red track with a Panda face is a dead give away and Iconic to that one rare variation of the Daytona. Yes I know other watches got the exotic style back in the day, with a;most the same color scheme and outer track, but in this case Omega and if I remember right, Schumy who actually had a hand in the design of this one ( as opposed to the others) knew exactly what they where doing on this one.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 24, 2016

Just to add... I never knew these where 42mm... I thought they had a 40mm case like the other racings... At least according to Omega.

9. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 24, 2016

Alpha&onega, Baz9614 and dlg like this.
  10. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 24, 2016

There are actually two versions if you know what to look for . image.jpg

dlg likes this.
  11. gostang9 Aug 24, 2016

Does anyone have a link to something that was documented officially acknowledging an intentional 'homage' to the Paul Newman Daytona?

I agree with your assesment that the visual cues on this particular Omega reference looks very similar to the 6239 variant of the Daytona Exotic dials. However, there were quite a few different Daytona Exotic dials and there were also several different Omega Schumacher tributes. If there were only 1 "Paul Newman" dial and it was the 6239 white dial with black subdials, and there were only 1 Omega dial that looked like this 3559 Speedmaster and it was released by Omega in tribute to Paul Newman, then it would meet my definition of an 'homage'.

For me, for something to be a true "homage", it requires that there is an intentional "respect or reverence paid" as per the definition of the word. I guess it's semantics more than anything, but to me, I don't understand how Omega in honoring Michael Shumacher would actually be trying to honor Paul Newman instead?

When I see the Jaeger LeCoultre tribute to the Deep Sea Vintage chrono, that to me is a true "homage" as they are intentionally honoring the previous model.

12. dlg Aug 24, 2016

The one with the Schumacher name on the dial has only 500 made, while the other has 6000... like mine.

Thanks man!

Thank you!

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 24, 2016

paul-newmen-rolex.png

There is no way it is not an Hommage, Panda with back/red outer track.... Sorry I see no way its not, only the exotics had the outer track most Daytonas do not.

Look its fine the Rolex 6238 released in 64 is basically a speedmaster pro without a bezel, and the 6239 is a speedmaster pro with a panda dial. its not a knock on the watch to call it an hommage in my opinion and since these have the highest price of all the Schumy watches I'm not the only one that thinks this.

14. ulackfocus Aug 24, 2016

Black, white, and red are excellent colors for a chronograph. :thumbsup: If I didn't have a Valjoux 7750 based watch already, I'd own a Christopher Ward Speedhawk or an Omega 3211.31 Speedmaster Automatic.

ahartfie likes this.
  15. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 24, 2016

I remember seeing a Longines with the exact color scheme as the Schumacher watch. Cream dial, red outer track on black. Not a chronograph though. Don't even know the year, I think it was 36,000 bph so probably late 60s earl 70s?

16. ATWG Aug 24, 2016

No way you will find any documentation on any linkage or homage to Paul Newman Daytona, for starters, they're competitors......For the record I do love the Schumacher line, they're great looking watches as I have personally owned numerous models over the years.

17. jud Aug 24, 2016

I think it's great looking. Who cares if it's modeled after another watch, so many are these days.

18. WatchVaultNYC Aug 24, 2016

The art deco subdial font (left) makes it a Paul Newman
    [​IMG]

Here's a Paul Newman without the red outer track
    [​IMG]

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. don't overthink it.

19. ManInBlack Jul 17, 2017

Excellent points made. I agree very much and applaud that you made such an invested approach that emphasized the significance of personal taste and individual motivation in watch collecting. You most definitely took a noble path where it could have been very easy for an observer to irreverently and unnecessarily criticize the watch design, a watch design I personally find to be quite intriguing and appealing.

STANDY likes this.
  20. ac921ol Jul 17, 2017

I am a major fan of these types of watches, just have a few other ones I'd rather have before this.

And I agree this is similar ins type of a Paul Newman, but there are subtle differences as well.?

ManInBlack likes this.