Forums Latest Members

Hodinkee's at it again. Thoughts?

1. kerrr.splat Nov 3, 2016

2. Drawarms Nov 3, 2016

If it had a sapphire case back I probably would have pulled the trigger because overall it is a nice looking Nomos up my alley.

Riviera Paradise and meganfox17 like this.
  3. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2016

I have the original and love it. I like having the date and quirky power reserve.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 3, 2016

Not a bad price actually. I like it better then the normal one. First Nomos I like better then a Junghans.

5. ulackfocus Nov 3, 2016

Is it just me who finds Hodinkee aptly named?

Good for them, cashing in and making their 'brand' even bigger.

Giff2577 and Lonestar like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 3, 2016

I think these are fun. That is an amazing price for an in house movement and more power to them if they can monetize their website. (I do buy straps from them). I have heard dark rumors however about Chinese cases etc...so I'm always a tad skeptical about Nomos value proposition. The danger for Hodinkee (which my spell checker wants to change to "hoodwinked") is that I can no longer take their watch journalism seriously. The more they suck up and do stuff like this, the more they are just another watch blog/propaganda machine like "A blog to watch".

7. Traveler Nov 3, 2016

Agreed although the one good thing about ABTW is that although the journalism is rarely objective, they are pretty lenient with the comments allowed - pretty much anything seems to go. Hodinkee is much less forgiving on that front - I rarely comment there now as it seems over-policed to the extent that comments that don't fit the narrative are rarely included... may be that's just me but I've got too fed up with that ....

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 3, 2016

I would generally avoid any LE linked to a watch site or linked to a retailer.

9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 3, 2016

Nomos is well known for producing limited edition watches. They've produced dozens of them over their short lifespan.

A few, they've dedicated to websites - like the Orion Midnight and now the chronometer certified edition. I like how they made the association with Hodinkee very subtle... just as Minerva did with their Timezone special editions (at least the second series), so I don't think they will age poorly.

Seeing as Nomos's watches are already up to chronometer standards (as I understand it), it's a cheap hook on Hodinkee-philes' obsession over vintage chronometre's.

Not unattractive, though. Probably those who flip these will keep most of their money.

What do you say for an Omega Forums special edition? 50 pieces? :p;)

img_5267.jpg
    Riviera Paradise and Drawarms like this.
  10. Drawarms Nov 3, 2016

panerai forum gets their own as well!

11. Edantony Nov 3, 2016

I found both limited editions slightly boring.

12. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 3, 2016

Nomos has taken a very conservative approach in both cases, making both watches, frankly, inconspicuous when compared to the rest of their watches. Slight changes. I think I like that approach.

Do you think Omega Forums could manage to sell 50 LE's? Or are we not big enough (yet!). :p

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 3, 2016

I'd be more into Minerva than Nomos but I might be in if the watch was interesting.

14. Edantony Nov 3, 2016

Truth is, watchbrands could capitalize and intervene much more on these forums. Truth is that's where their clientele is. Damn they should invite us to cool events and try to get our money by selling us exclusive LEs

Lonestar likes this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 3, 2016

And cut out the dealers and give us cool watches at preferred prices.

16. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2016

Unfortunately, Minerva as a stand alone brand is long gone...

Drawarms likes this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 3, 2016

Yea. Don't think MB would be into special editions.

18. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Nov 3, 2016

I like nomos and I like hodinkee back in the day... I like the look of the zenith chrono very much... It is just so soon after the zenith to do another watch.... Next week it will be a movado for hodinkee in Quartz....

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 3, 2016

All us members who have been here a bit have constellations, thats good enough. No need for a OF limited edition. they would have had to made it 30-40 years ago for me to buy it...

GuiltyBoomerang and ahartfie like this.
  20. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 3, 2016

I don't have a constellation! :p What are you tryin' to say?

Lonestar likes this.