Forums Latest Members
  1. Waynepjr Feb 1, 2017

Anyone else catch this pitifully reprinted dial Hodinkee listed and subsequently sold this morning. These guys laughably call this dial tropical to boot. And from so called "professionals".
    image.jpeg

2. lethalwl Feb 1, 2017

@Waynepjr Thanks for following us.

I must add to be fair that we had disclosed the condition of the dial in the listing and in the "What You Should Know section" shown below, although you might have wished for stronger words on our side.

[​IMG]

As for its tropical qualification, I see that it does not reflect on our photography under strong artificial light (to make the defects stand out better) but in real light you really see that it is turning brown (maybe calling it tropicalizing would be more accurate).

As for all our watches, we 100% stand behind what we offer on the shop, and the buyer has all rights to return us the watch if he feels when he receives it that we misrepresented it in any ways, as you do right now.

Thanks a lot,

Louis

bigdubnick, Jwit, Rman and 4 others like this.
  3. chadpowe11 Feb 1, 2017

Darlinboy and Foo2rama like this.
  4. vintagecaliber Feb 1, 2017

Wow... I was very convinced that this is an old non-MOD redone : (

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 1, 2017

So...not knowing anything about these...are MOD redials sought after by the milwatch crowd? I gather they do not have the same stigma as regular redials?

6. vintagecaliber Feb 1, 2017

Still, it is not only relumed, but refinished.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 1, 2017

I think this is one of those wierd cases. As the MOD did the redial the watch is in effect correct. Hence when checking other correct examples it did not Flag as a redial.

As noted the watch is 100% correct for a military issued and used watch.

8. cchen Feb 1, 2017

Not sought after, but no stigma if redone. If the watches saw action, they were not cared for, so redials and relumes are common so that the watches could function as they were intended. I'm ok with redials and relumes on military issued watches as long as that was the practice and the work is done well. There are some MOD redials that are just plain bad, IMO.

9. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 1, 2017

My Cub Scout troop could finger paint a better dial...

Etp095 likes this.
  10. M'Bob Feb 1, 2017

I thought you received a very gracious response, but tell me: had you spoken to them directly about the issues, and received no satisfactory response, before airing this on the forum? Because to be fair to them (no connection, have never bought anything), the tenor of your post suggests a personal issue with the seller.

Jwit, tyrantlizardrex, Psych and 3 others like this.
  11. vintagecaliber Feb 1, 2017

I don't think that you should have any personal issue to be very attentive and demanding to "celebrity" or to someone who makes very loud statements.

12. Kmart Feb 1, 2017

I've noticed that a significant amount of individuals seem to harbor some sort of grudge against Hodinkee / the Hodinkee Shop and I can't quite understand why. Yes, there have been a few questionable watches sold on the Shop but I feel like that is true of any dealer. And their content is quite good generally.

gminnj, Dre and bazamu like this.
  13. vintagecaliber Feb 1, 2017

Well, it's natural when you have that big audience and say literally something like "it's a pain to buy vintage watches, but never with us!". meticulous guys are trying to bust you : )

14. M'Bob Feb 1, 2017

Completely disagree. To question someone's professionalism, before giving them a chance to either explain or correct their mistake or oversight, is impulsive, inconsiderate, and rude.

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 1, 2017

I have to say that they are very gracious and responsive to challenges from this forum. I've not bought a watch from them but the straps and rolls are nice.

Traveler and Foo2rama like this.
  16. vintagecaliber Feb 1, 2017

First of all, to question someone's professionalism, one should have knowledge. And of course I am not advocating rude or impulsive tenor, surely not. I am just saying that criticism is very natural and acceptable to public figures, sources, experts, and those who moderate and delete critical comments : )

17. Kmart Feb 1, 2017

I think that Hodinkee has responded to that particular allegation on multiple occasions to the effect that it just isn't true. In fact they welcome constructive criticism as long as you're not just being straight up rude/insulting to the author.

18. vintagecaliber Feb 1, 2017

I read those nice statements, on moderation and ads not disclosed as ads. It seems like constructive criticism is often insulting authors though::censored:: Anyway, that's not my point, just a bit of sarcasm. My point remains simple - those who claim to be perfectionists, and professionals must tolerate critics and doubts. I am a dealer too, and I receive the whole range of comments on my professionalism, sick prices, frankenwatches in various tenors. Nothing to do, I can't blame people for that.;)

19. chadpowe11 Feb 1, 2017

The watch is still 100% correct the redial was done when the watch was still in active service IMO it makes that perfectly ok. I understand its still not the same as having a 2777 TA but this is a great variation that myself would love to have in the collection.

Cheers

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 1, 2017

So we can criticize this write up on this watch? 145.012-67

"Original correct hands (no service, though may have been replaced in the past)"
    IMG_8562_grande.jpg