Forums Latest Members

Hodinkee - Roger Smith's Omega Cal 321 Seamaster Chrono

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 30, 2015

From Hodinkee - Watchmaker Roger Smith wearing an Omega Calibre 321 Seamaster in steel Circa 1967

[​IMG]

The article on Hodinkee makes an interesting point really, that given he only makes 10 watches per year he doesn't have a whole lot of time to make one for himself so keeping one of his own would be an expensive undertaking. I remember reading that Philippe Dufour is often seen wearing his Lange Datograph in public so I guess its not at all uncommon for these guys with waiting lists in years rather than months to shop "off the rack" so to speak.

ock2915, PatrickJ and Drawarms like this.
  2. Slevin kelevra Apr 30, 2015

I really like the look of that. A very nice alternative to a Speedmaster!

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. minutenrohr Apr 30, 2015

[​IMG]

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 30, 2015

These are great... will find a minty one in stainless steel someday. ::love::

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 30, 2015

At least he'll be able to keep his one running.

You can picture the phone conversation, next year when his mate calls:

Mate: "Are you coming to my barbie on Sunday, Rog?"
    RS: "I can't. I've got to make a new escape wheel for my 321 because those bastard Swiss won't sell me one."

6. M'Bob Apr 30, 2015

Helluva nice looking strap too.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 30, 2015

Yes, Mr. Dufour does wear a rose gold Datograph sometimes, like at this dinner we had with him and a number of other independent watchmakers a few years ago when I was in Switzerland:

[​IMG]

In the photo he was signing book that had been written about him and another watchmaker. Buying a German watch is a bit of him thumbing his nose at the Swiss industry, as he is not a fan of some of the shortcuts they take (I got an earful about the Geneva seal from him and corners that were being cut by some companies using the seal).

But he also wears a 34mm version of his Simplicity in white gold I believe with the guilloche dial:

[​IMG]

And here it is on my wrist, sort of (I honestly didn't feel comfortable at that point actually putting on his personal watch):

[​IMG]

I took those when I spent an afternoon in his atelier, where he gave me a short lesson on finishing techniques - here applying Côtes de Genève:

[​IMG]

As you can imagine, that is an afternoon I will never forget.

Cheers, Al

SwissZ, Bienne2998, NT931 and 12 others like this.