Forums Latest Members

Hodinkee buys Crown&Caliber

1. Wlcutter Feb 18, 2021

This is fascinating. I'm not sure what it changes in an immediate way, but this feels really significant.

2. cvalue13 Feb 18, 2021

“There has been a category that we've long loved but weren't sure how best to contribute – and that's pre-owned watches. I want to be clear in what I mean by this. It is not vintage watches, which we tend to think of as those made before 1990. It's certainly not grey market watches, which to us has always represented the antithesis of what makes this world special. What I mean here are simply watches that are modern by definition, but not brand new.”

a decent mission statement, for what mission statements are worth

3. sleepyastronaut Feb 18, 2021

Chewbacca likes this.
  4. sgrossma Feb 18, 2021

Holy crap.

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 18, 2021

Just a commercial expansion of their pre owned business. I had a positive experience with C&C, hope they don’t ruin it.

6. gbesq Feb 18, 2021

I’m not sure what they’re referring to when they seem to imply that C&C doesn’t deal in vintage watches. While most of their inventory is modern, I see vintage references on their site frequently. Not unusual at all to see vintage Speedmasters and Seamasters there.

7. Evitzee Feb 18, 2021

I used Crown & Caliber about five years ago to sell a watch on consignment, it worked well and got my money via wire transfer once the watch sold. I haven't been too impressed with their site recently, though. Prices don't seem all that good and I don't like their photography, they never give a good, clear shot of the back. Will be interesting to see how it works going forward. It's always good to have options.

wsfarrell likes this.
  8. cvalue13 Feb 18, 2021

If you’re referring to the copy I pasted above: I think instead they were trying to make clear what new feature C&C brings to their group, which is used non-vintage (with both dink and C&C having vintage coverage).

so for example, there’s now a post2012 Royal Oak on dink for sale, which is borne of this new feature

9. gbesq Feb 18, 2021

I’ve had good experiences with them more recently. Just picked up a 1996 Speedy Pro 3590.50 from them. Price was reasonable, watch is in very good condition, functioning well, and they have a very reasonable return policy. I would buy from them again.
    BC5D5292-D197-4D5A-A5FD-F5CB008CDA6C.jpeg

Edited Feb 18, 2021
    apsm100, stormshadow, pdxleaf and 2 others like this.
  10. Wlcutter Feb 18, 2021

I feel like this is very very much the former while also fundamentally being the latter. Sure: Hodinkee's expanding--as we've seen for years. Even before this latest round of funding, there were plans for a physical retail location, which still seems likely.

The thing that this move does is just orients Hodinkee to be a/the most powerful one-stop-shop for watches, online or (eventually) in person: you can browse about watches, can buy new and used (and the pre-owned seem like it'll all come serviced now; maybe that's a mistake, but isn't that what BC's saying about C&C watches? Won't that soon mean Hodinkee's watches will equally come with such coverage?), can insure your watches, and can engage with a community of like-minded enthuasists.

Taken by itself, it's a ho-hum expansion. Taken as ebay continues to make selling vintage watches more difficult and fraught, and as interest in vintage watches continues to massively expand, it's hard not to feel like Hodinkee's reached a logical end-game sooner than others. I say that as a huge fan of Hodinkee's shop; I think they're making an *extraordinarily* shrewd and excellent move by this. I also think the effects of this will be profound.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 18, 2021

Good for them, working very hard to make a brand and expanding. I may not agree with how they did it, but they have done a great job turning a hobby into an industry heavyweight.

Rman, Vitezi, noelekal and 8 others like this.
  12. pdxleaf ... Feb 18, 2021

It appears (what the hell do I know) that they are a larger virtual watch dealer with the acquisition.

They mention the ability to sell your watch to them. It means you can trade it in on a purchase, similar to your local dealer. You don't get retail but you don't need to sell it on your own. They won't be ebay, where you can sell your watch to the highest bidder. You will sell to them.

It means they get a larger slice of the market through acquisition of the staff and infrastructure. It takes a lot of people to take pictures and writeup each watch.

They have goodwill from the community. Rightly or wrongly, people trust their advise. Trust in a purchase for a used watch is huge. They will ensure the watch function and is what it says it is.

They won't necessarily be the cheapest. There seems to be a premium for buying through them. Some people like buying from the dealer as it gives them comfort, for which they are willing to pay a premium. They perform that service.

They aren't journalists but they aren't shrills either (not everyone agrees). They seem to me to be upfront about who they are. There aren't many true journalists in watches. Perhaps the forums come close but they have issues of their own, such as verifying sources, getting facts straight versus opinion, even independence as most forum members have collections of their own that they have spent large amounts of money. I do shudder when I see any H. staff member or commentator use the word journalism. But I (again, what the hell do I know) don't expect real journalism. I expect hyperbole mixed in with facts. I hope for accuracy but know to check claims as there is a lot of lore associated with watches. I appreciate and admire what they have accomplished. There is and always has been a lot of money associated with luxury items, including watches. It doesn't surprise me in the least.

They aren't the dark lord that some people seem to describe them as, but they aren't (and haven't been for years) a collector forum. They are another vendor, a source to buy watches.

It does make me ponder this whole explosion of watches. Is it sustainable? When will chronographs become priced like pocket watches? Is this just the result of zero interest rates and governments buying corporate debt? When did a 10k watch seem equivalent to buying a 500.00 watch? What will the world be like in 5, 10 years? No idea. After losing power for a few days, it is surprising how quickly the world can change and revert to something you thought was the past. What seems reality can be gone in an instant. With that rambling open consciousness (not brought on by drugs), I bid you good day.

lindo, sonicosa, arcadelt and 4 others like this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 18, 2021

There used to be more vintage on C&C, in fact, one of my Tri Compax watches ( with an OF provenance) was purchased through them. I was very happy with price and performance. ... I’ve noticed over the years that the listings decreased.

noelekal likes this.
  14. Albe100 Feb 18, 2021

They also seem to have been getting away from vintage in general. I was curious on a few of my pieces, and they bluntly said they weren't buying vintage pieces. Perhaps some rolex and speedmasters get more attention then say a vintage autavia.

What I do find interesting about this collaboration is the Hodinkee credit. C&C would offer ok value or a sale or trade, but their credit towards Birks (in Canada) was extremely good. Win win for Hodinkee, but also a good option if you are in the market for a new watch.

cvalue13 likes this.
  15. rcs914 Feb 18, 2021

I have to wonder if Hodinkee sometimes feels saddled with their ludicrous name. I mean I don't know if they would have been as successful without it, but I don't think you could find anyone who thinks it is anything but silly, and actively turns people off of collaborations.

marco likes this.
  16. sleepyastronaut Feb 18, 2021

@rcs914 I have the Czech foreign minister on line one for you

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 18, 2021

Got my half Czech dander up dude. My PA German half is just looking coldly at you.

mydeafcat and noelekal like this.
  18. Dan S Feb 18, 2021

TBH, Hodinkee also doesn't have much vintage inventory. They are not really a major vintage dealer IMO. They sell a ton of new watches, including special editions.

Larry S likes this.
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 18, 2021

As a % yes. When they first started selling, they had some nice stuff.

noelekal likes this.
  20. Dan S Feb 18, 2021

I remember that too, and for what it's worth, they do seem to have a bit more recently. They went through a period a year or two ago where the vintage inventory was virtually non-existent.