Forums Latest Members
  1. mhowden Jun 5, 2018

Hello Omega hivemind. It's nice to make your acquaintance.

I have inherited my Father's beloved Seamaster Automatic but I don't know much about it. I plan on keeping this watch and eventually having it cleaned up and the crystal replaced. The band has been replaced with the cheap bracelet seen in the photos, that came from Dad's retirement watch (Not this watch)

I do not have a serial number (yet) because, as the photos show, it is a solid back watch and removing the movement is a bit complicated. (I'm told) As the watch seems to be running okay, I won't be doing that until it is time for some work to be done.

What I know: My father had owned this watch as long as I can remember. (see below) I took the watch to my watch guy and he told me that he believes the vintage is 1980s. I asked him what he based his assessment on and he told me it that it is the 14K stamp under the lug (I don't know what "under the lug" means.) Here's the thing, I'm 48 and I seem to recall that my Dad had this watch in the '70s. Since I turned 10 in 1980, my memory might not be accurate about that and I'm trying to confirm. But I feel like my watch guy MAY be mistaken about his assessment. I'm looking for a second opinion here. It is marked "Swiss" near the hour 6.

What I would like to know:
    Where is "under the lug"? I'm trying to get an idea of the year this Seamaster was made and any watch-specific identifiers that would be good to know. (ie does this Seamaster have some accepted sub-name like maybe "gold" or something.) I would also like to know what the original band was for the watch? Were there options or just one style of bracelet? The band needs to be replaced and I would like it to be 'original', I guess. I'm not worried about value as I intend to keep the watch and pass it on to my son, just trying to know more about what I have. Thanks in advance for any time and effort anyone gives this post! 20180604_165654.jpg 20180604_165515[1].jpg 20180604_165408[1].jpg 20180604_165308[1].jpg

2. Gordon Heavyfoot Jun 5, 2018

Nice heirloom watch. The model is just known as "Seamaster". To get the reference number you'll have to have a watchmaker open it up. On most of these the metal composition designation is found between the lugs, the short projections of metal that the bracelet or strap fits between. It should say something like 14k Gold if the case is solid gold or 14k Gold Filled if it's not. Looks like your watch dates from the early sixties based on the Seamaster font. The crown isn't original and it looks like one of the lugs may be bent a little from one of the photos. It also looks like there may be a little debris/dust on the dial and it's important to get it serviced before wearing for any appreciable length of time to avoid damage. At the service a competent watchmaker can replace the crown and hopefully straighten that lug. Have your watchmaker take pics so you can post them here. Cheers.

mhowden likes this.
  3. rkman11 Jun 5, 2018

Should be easy enough to source a correct crown and have your watchmaker installehen you get it serviced. Great to keep it in the family - enjoy!

mhowden likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 5, 2018

What Gordon said AND remove the bracelet before it damages the lugs, if it hasn't already done so.

mhowden likes this.