Forums Latest Members
  1. Cosd Mar 21, 2016

Anyone know where I can go (UK retailers) and do the looky feely thing for Hirsch straps please.

2. smitty190373 Mar 21, 2016

3. meganfox17 Mar 21, 2016

Hi @Cosd

Few Omega forum readers have mentioned the Hirsch alligator straps but there's one gentleman whom i know well who is passionate about Hirsch.Seek his views & advice .His name is @Texas_Tom

Cosd likes this.
  4. wx_073 Mar 21, 2016

Alex_TA and Cosd like this.
  5. Cosd Mar 21, 2016

Guys'n Gals,
    Can I ask what the views are on embossed straps are? One of the reasons I want to see and feel a strap is the price difference between alligator and leather embossed alligator is quite significant, and of course I understand that. But are the embossed ones more durable, or is alligator quite a durable leather? On the net, you can't tell the difference between the two, I'm guessing in the flesh it would be an obvious difference.

6. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Mar 21, 2016

Personally I do not like embossed straps. For the same reason I do not prefer gold electroplated watches. It is posing itself as something better. There are of course vintage watches in gold cap that does the same and I own some - so I am a hypocrite...

cicindela, Fritz, Privateday7 and 2 others like this.
  7. Cosd Mar 21, 2016

That's quite valid; My point though was based on durability against cost. I've never had a leather strap so have no idea how long they last with regular wear. I hope it isn't the case, but if say I was told that after a year a leather strap starts to look tired if worn daily, then I probably wouldn't spend 4 times the amount over a standard leather one; I would probably buy cheaper and change more often.

8. smitty190373 Mar 21, 2016

Straps are like shoes, you get what you pay for!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  9. Flingit1200s Mar 21, 2016

I'm from the Midwest USA and have worn western boots all of my life. Those boots have been made from all types of critters. If you don't regularly use a quality leather conditioner like Bick 4, no leather good will last as long as it should. Alligator and Elephant are very durable! Reptile leathers like Lizard (had a pair of Gila Monster boots years ago that were crazy), Snake etc are not quite as durable and require conditioning more often. Bull hide is tough but will age and show surface scuffs. Calf, Deer etc are very soft and supple from new but are the least durable.

larryganz likes this.
  10. djrocco2625 Mar 21, 2016

Have a hirsch embossed leather. Had it up against my buddies longines actual alligator. Dammed if I could tell the difference. Have had the strap for over a year and still looks spanking new. 50 bucks and you can customize the buckle metal gold or silver. No brainer!

Cosd likes this.
  11. Cosd Mar 21, 2016

I'm not sure that's a "given"! There's always a premium to be paid on branding, and with that you would expect to get better quality yes, but that's not always the case.

12. terryb111 Mar 21, 2016

Id say it depends what you are putting it on. I own an alligator embossed Hirsch and use it on a beater watch and i think its lovely. Id buy the real deal if i had something particularly special though.

Cosd likes this.
  13. Texas_Tom Mar 21, 2016

Embossed leather is very comfortable to wear, especially if you live in humid areas, where you may perspire. Also look at the value of the watch you are putting the strap on. If you are buying a $300 watch strap for $15k watch it makes sense... Also I happen to like to change out straps, so I wanted several colors, and did not want to spend $1000 on just watch straps...

meganfox17 likes this.
  14. meganfox17 Mar 21, 2016

Hooraayyy..!The Calvary has arrived ! Thanks @Texas_Tom

15. artschool Mar 21, 2016

i bought a Hirsch mariner for my speedy this afternoon.

16. chich Mar 22, 2016

I've never had an issue with embossed straps. They're 80% of the quality for 10-20% of the price. Yes you can tell a real gator strap from an embossed one, but unless you're using it on a very expensive watch, embossed leather is just fine for me. To be honest, if it's a well done embossed strap, the difference isn't huge - and everybody is looking at the watch anyway. Better use the extra money saved for a greater variety of straps to change the feel of the watch.

17. Cosd Mar 22, 2016

Its the Aqua Tera 8500 auto.

Maybe I'm being tight!!
    I will go and have a look and make my decision, I can guess which one I'll probably end up with.

18. chunkythebulldog Mar 22, 2016

Buy the Hirsch. Here's my Grey Side on one of their embossed straps. You can't tell the difference.

image.jpeg

19. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Mar 22, 2016

That is exactly what people say about fake watches also.
    ;)::rimshot::

Deafboy, cicindela and ConElPueblo like this.
  20. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Mar 22, 2016

Agreed. If you've had both, you can easily tell the difference, IMO.

As long as there's no pretense, and embossed looks nice, it's a nice way to save some money!