Forums Latest Members

Hidden gems from the NASA photo archive

1. 104RS Jan 5, 2019

Thanks a lot for sharing, perfect sunday afternoon reading material.

2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 8, 2019

Those are the mission photos only... NASA went digital and set up a Flickr account...
    But the absence of important historic NASA photos is appalling... cooperation with spaceflight aficionados & private collectors might solve this...
    NASA Flickr = https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasa2explore/albums
    ::book::

dr1v3thru likes this.
  3. Lieutenant Jan 9, 2019

Bonjour everyone,

As a long time aficionado of the history of space exploration and, of course, the Omega Speedmaster, this thread is candy for my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Following the picture of Jean-Loup Chrétien and even though they are not vintage NASA pictures, I thought I might share here a few photographs of Thomas Pesquet, France’s 10th astronaut (or spationaute, as we say here).

During his training and his stay on the ISS (2016-2017), he’s been wearing at least 2 different Omega Speedmaster X-33 models, which is to be expected, considering this watch is currently issued to ESA astronauts:
    Thomas Pesquet (omega-X33).jpg ISS - Pesquet, Whitson, Novitsky  with Omega Speedmaster X-33 (Expedition 51 -Soyouz MS03).jpg
    But belonging to the first generation of astronauts who actually never saw the moon landing live on TV doesn’t mean Pesquet is not familiar with the good old mechanical speedmaster. He whore one over his sokol suit, as per Roscosmos flight rules (sorry for the watermark) :
    Thomas Pesquet - conférence de presse avant le lancement.jpg
    But his interest for this timepiece is not only…professional (pun partially intended ! ) :
    Thomas Pesquet Omega speedmaster.jpg

He even offered his brother Baptiste to take his own speedy (one from 1976, his year of birth) into space with him, for a little 6-months trip onboard the ISS ! Here is the now famous photo he took of it with the cupola in the background :

Space - La speedmaster de Baptiste Pesquet.JPG

lando, Albe100, Togri v. 2.0 and 8 others like this.
  4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 11, 2019

This 2019 I'll be celebrating " 100 years Rolex in Switzerland " on the well-known astronaut/spacefarers wrist watch blog :D

5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 2, 2019

6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 14, 2019

54 years ago...
    Let's not forget NASA engineer James Ragan who tested the chronograph watches... between November 1964 and February 1965
    In March 1965, after 4 months of testing, NASA's flight safety office confirmed that only the Omega Speedmaster (reference 105.003) satisfied all flight qualification requirements and the Omega wristwatch could be purchased to be issued to NASA astronauts as government furnished equipment.
    The well-known photo series were actually taken much later as James Ragan remained responsible to maintain the NASA-issued Speedmaster chronographs. As the second photo clearly shows, it's a Professional version of the Speedmaster... Photo probably taken in 1968 :thumbsdown:
    Ragan008.jpg
    RaganJames105012.jpg

WurstEver, murph, ras47 and 3 others like this.
  7. TLIGuy Feb 14, 2019

If it's Jim Ragan day I'll add this one. He's one of the classiest guys out there. One of the best autographs in my collection.

IMG_8851.jpg

WurstEver, Albe100, murph and 4 others like this.
  8. wouter van wijk Feb 14, 2019

really nice addition to Moonwatch Only, what a lovely read. Thanks!

9. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 24, 2019

@wouter van wijk
    I really hope the next MWO edition will have at least a few far better astronaut/cosmonaut photos in it... examples a plenty in this topic.
    Glad to help with high res versions as we all know it's amazing what we can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit !

10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 28, 2019

50 years ago... Apollo 11 Lunar EVA training was at its top... February to June 1969 were tough training months...
    Neil working near the Lunar Lander ( with & without Omega Speedmaster )... and Buzz hanging in for lunar EVA training (with Omega Speedmaster)
    Neil.jpg
    Neil_Omega_.jpg
    Buzz_Omega.jpg

WurstEver, Lou P and murph like this.
  11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 1, 2019

In March we must be celebrating the Flight qualification of the Omega 105.003-64 Speedmaster chronograph for NASA manned spaceflight missions, with some higher resolution photos at MoonwatchUniverse blog https://moonwatchuniverse.tumblr.com/archive

WurstEver and Omegafanman like this.
  12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 26, 2019

Omegafanman likes this.
  13. Omegafanman Mar 26, 2019

Health warning 'NASA' farsight is now a known eye condition.... You can lose hours of screen time hunting there :0) - A big thanks to the archivists who share all that material for us....

MC.jpg
    Edited Mar 26, 2019
    Lou P likes this.
  14. RI Omega Fan Mar 26, 2019

Yes, it’s definitely an Estwing by the looks of the handle. I have one of their hatchets. Heirloom quality and coolness.

Mad Dog likes this.
  15. RI Omega Fan Mar 26, 2019

This thread is over the top - thanks to all who posted the fantastic photos and added comments. A very enjoyable read, and I love my new Speedmaster now even more!

16. pweingarten Mar 26, 2019

I love this stuff!

17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 2, 2019

50 years ago... the Apollo 10 crew was ready for the rehearsal of an actual Moon landing...
    They named their spacecraft: Charlie Brown (CSM) and Snoopy (Lunar Lander)... based on Charles Schulz cartoons
    About 40 days prior to launch day, we see Commander Tom Stafford in the cockpit of a T-38 jet with the Snoopy logo applied.
    They also flew some drawings of Snoopy aboard the actual space mission !
    1969_A10_T38.jpg

mhsvz, Spacedude, thefish and 6 others like this.
  18. Omegafanman Apr 2, 2019

Thanks for this post. I also love the fact that Snoopy was left in heliocentric orbit so in theory is the only surviving space flown LEM... maybe one day they can find her and bring her home... nice exhibit for an orbiting museum :0)

https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/29979/apollo-10-wheres-snoopy

Snoopy-Apollo-10-copy.jpg
    SpeedyPhill and Lou P like this.
  19. Omegafanman Apr 3, 2019

I wonder if these are some of the last pictures from Apollo 11 showing the watches on the 'active' mission. Also one of the last shots at all of Buzz Aldrins watch. These were taken during the 21 day quarantine (photo credits NASA as usual :0)

426_S69-40953.jpg IMG_2746.JPG Close1.jpg IMG_2747.JPG close 2.jpg
    MartinAir and Lou P like this.
  20. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 12, 2019

Currently in the ISS... Canadian David Saint-Jacques wearing the Omega X-33 on his belt/pants
    x33.jpg
    Also like this way of wearing the Omega Speedmaster, next to the pressure valve of the Orlan spacesuit... 2010 cosmonaut Maxim Surev
    Omega_Surayev.jpg

Lou P and Omegafanman like this.