Forums Latest Members

Hi! Need Help Identifying Vintage Omega Pocketwatch.

1. GreyThumper Oct 21, 2012

Hi one and all, new to the forum.

I've got a pretty old Omega pocketwatch here that belonged to my great grandfather, and I just wanted to determine roughly how old is it, and if there's anything notable about this piece. It has quite a few unusual characteristics.

It's a silver hunter-style case, except there are two "lids" (my apologies if I'm using the wrong terms):

[​IMG]

The dial has no Omega logo, just the word Omega. It could be a lacquered dial. Also, the hinge is at 9 and the stem/crown are at 3. Most hunter-style pocketwatches I've seen have the hinge at 6 and the crown at 12. I have a feeling the hands aren't original, given that they don't match each other, and aren't in proportion to the dial and subdial.

[​IMG]

Flipping the other lid reveals what seems to be some sort of commemorative engraving (I don't speak French).

[​IMG]

A close up of the three, er, awards, dated 1889, 1896, and 1897, for Paris, Geneva, and Brussels, respectively:

[​IMG]

A poor Google translation of the writing underneath:

Spiral Breguet compensated pendulum ​
    Anchor Straight 15 Rubies ​
    Fundraising Visilles Double Tray​
    The letters "KM" are crudely etched underneath this writing. I have no idea what they stand for.​
    [​IMG]
    The movement. Pretty unadorned, except for some really elaborate engraving near, er, a regulator? ​
    [​IMG]
    Serial number?

[​IMG]
    A small Omega logo is stamped on the inner surface of both "lids".​
    [​IMG]
    A crown is also stamped under each lid. I don't know if this is significant, or just a standard quality seal or something.​
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, any info regarding this watch or other similar pocketwatches would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance, one and all.​

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2012

Looks like a porcelain dial that's cracked, which isn't overly unusual, they're rather common as back then they were the go-to time keeping device, they made millions of them, and they tend to have been kept in families over the years and never thrown away.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 22, 2012

Don't know too much about these older pocketwatches, but that is one old Omega. The newest medal shown on the inside cover dates from 1897. I know that Omega won a major competition around 1900 and redid the inside cover design about that time.

The serial number of the case is approx. 1.4 million. Based on Omega's official case number table below, this would put it somewhere between 1897 and 1902, probably a bit more towards the earlier date.

[​IMG]

The [0,800] stamp means the case is 80% silver. The marks just to the left and right of that are Swiss hallmarks. This was not the best case they made at that time, but of decent quality. The crown is a country specific hallmark. I'm not sure which country, but I'm guessing somewhere in Eastern Europe.

Could there be a Russian connection in your family?
    gatorcpa

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 22, 2012

The Tsars were still in charge in Russia at the time

5. ulackfocus Oct 22, 2012

.... and Omega hadn't merged with the Tissots yet. :p

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 22, 2012

And Rolex wasn't even a gleam in Herr Wilsdorf's eyes yet.
    gatorcpa

7. GreyThumper Oct 22, 2012

Many thanks, everyone, especially to gatorcpa for the loads of information you provided.

I'm thoroughly intrigued at the Russian connection. Sadly, neither my dad or grandfather are alive to shed some light on this, but I suspect it's something pretty mundane. I highly doubt that my great grandfather purchased the watch new. His son/my grandfather could've bought the watch (already as a vintage item) during his travels. I know he was an Air Force fighter pilot who flew a P-51 during WWII. It could've been purchased while he was stationed in Europe or once commercial air travel became relatively accessible. Or it could be something completely unrelated, who knows.

But thanks for clarifying the crown logo, I didn't even suspect that it was notable. Could it be something not stamped by Omega, but by the distributor for that country/region/market? Anyway, will do a bit more research to see if it can be confirmed as the Russian Imperial Crown. Many thanks again!

8. MyVintageOmega Oct 22, 2012

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 23, 2012

The eBay watch has a higher grade movement than the OP's watch. Note that the winding wheels are mirror polished and there is a micro-regulator. Time period is about the same, circa 1900.

The hallmark is actually a crown and crescent. Could be a maker's mark, could be a national mark. I really don't know.
    gatorcpa

10. GreyThumper Oct 23, 2012

Thanks for the heads up. Also gives a rough indication of the value of these pocketwatches (even though the one you posted is in far better condition than mine, and also has a gold case). I'm assuming two things; these pieces must be quite rare, but at the same time, not really in great demand by collectors?

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 23, 2012

Neither rare nor in great demand. See Dsio's post above.

But they make great conversation pieces, especially when there is a family history behind them.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

12. Lyons Nov 3, 2013

My family and I have come across the same watch from our great great grandfather from russia. Our serial number is near the 1.5 k with a V and numer 9 insted of 11. I take its not worth very much these days even in working conditon?

13. CdnWatchDoc Nov 3, 2013

Not much monetary value, due to their relative abundance, but huge sentimental value. Not many families have such keepsakes, especially if the original owner was one of the thousands of immigrants coming over to North America. It may have been of great significance to that person, as most were dirt poor, and a silver pocket watch was still a bit of a luxury at the time.
    Not all of us collectors are just in it for the "money'...many appreciate the intangibles that an older family piece can carry with it.
    Welcome to the forum Lyons!...check out the "presentation backs" thread for more sentimental intangibles....

14. BillH1022 Oct 21, 2014

Firstly, and oddly enough, I found your post today, exactly 1 year from when you posted it. I happened to start looking for information today on my Grandfather's watch that was dug out of the rubble of his home which was bombed in WWII. Anyway, what's amazing is that the watch still runs ! My case number is in the 1.6 million so it's a little newer. I found the comments in this post very helpful, especially the [0,800] marking denoting 80% silver and the case number chart. What I can tell you is that he was from East Germany, so the references to Eastern Europe would make sense. I don't know much else yet, but I just wanted to let you know that your post helped greatly as well as the comments by all the folks in this forum. This particular watch, the hour hand has two arrows one behind the other. This is so that when the front lid is shut, you can see what time it is through a dime sized window that has roman numerals around it. Thanks to all -bh

15. BillH1022 Oct 21, 2014

Sorry, make that exactly 2 years after you posted your original post :)