Forums Latest Members

Hi from Seoul & Please help : 135.007-63 Omega Seamaster 30 [Cal. 286]

1. WATCHROCK Jan 21, 2019

Dear Forum Members,

I am still quite a watch new Newbie but happy to be here to learn from experienced members:)!

I have a question about the authencity of this particular Omega Seamaster 30, Caliber 286, 135.007-63. This is a piece I got from Seoul in South Korea and after research I thought the Seller should be trustworthy. As I figured it seems all okay besides maybe the hands (minute, hour, seconds) are not original? Since it can be quite tricky please let me know what you think.

Thanks and Best Regards from Seoul,

WATCHROCK

61AE27F6-8698-464F-BA1C-FA79F4C13D49.jpeg 52CC6301-8C20-482C-A4FA-A7E00703EB87.jpeg
  2. connieseamaster Jan 21, 2019

Case has definitely been polished, and the movement manhandled

3. WATCHROCK Jan 21, 2019

What means "movement manhandled" in that case:eek:?

4. connieseamaster Jan 21, 2019

There are scratches all over the bridge plates and it looks like one of the screw slots has been chipped. No decent watchmaker would leave, let alone make marks on a watch like that.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 21, 2019

It's a genuine Omega, but not in the best condition.

6. François Pépin Jan 21, 2019

I currently cannot see the first pic and thus cannot comment the dial and hands. But I do not think it has been polished: a plated bezel would show the bare metal it it were the case.

The movement has some patina and a few scratches, but nothing terrible as far as a single pic allows to tell.

7. WATCHROCK Jan 21, 2019

Thanks a lot for your response. Screw slot chipped means probably - screw is damaged by not handling with proper tools.

What would the watch be worth? Otherwise I guess I need to go back to the shop and let the Seller know kindly to give me a refund or a big after discount.

8. WATCHROCK Jan 21, 2019

Thank you for your response. I attached a pic of the watch front view here again.
    Yeah, with the gold plating over polishing would be probably show the metal underneath as I could see on other vintage watches before.

9. François Pépin Jan 21, 2019

I can see the dial and the hands now, thanks.

The scripts look a bit odd, but could be because of scratches on the cristal. The hands seem to have large lume "tunnels", have they? If so I doubt they are original to this dial.

10. WATCHROCK Jan 21, 2019

I do not know what "large lume tunnels" means directly - thanks for the observation though :).
    I can always go back to the Shop and confront the Seller kindly. If the Seller does not want his reputation ruined he might gives me a better deal or a refund - It is currently serviced through the Seller (by another watchmaker I think he said) anyway since the fully hand winded movement stopped ticking after 4 hours after buying - and then went on for 2 hours - he said the crystal and hands might are to close and might stop it from running.

11. François Pépin Jan 21, 2019

I meant: is there on each hand a large triangle hole with some paste in it? If so, this huge volume of luminous paste (lume) would rather match other kinds of dials.

But obviously, if this serviced watch stops after a few hours, there are more urgent issues!

12. WATCHROCK Jan 21, 2019

Not sure if it is lume paste on the hand or not since I lack experience.

At least the Shop Seller offered to drop by any time with the watch there is a problem.
    Obviously since he said this is a collector piece (and I asked if all parts are original and he said yes - obviously I lack of experience to know a 100%...and also did not do my 100% due dilligence). I got told I should not even necessarily wear but keep safe so it will be even more valuable in the future(?).

13. François Pépin Jan 21, 2019

Well, it is clearly not a collector item that should stay in a safe! Assuming the dial is original (could be but, again, hard to tell with the scratches on the plexi) as well as the hands, the crown is not and the condition is not the best.

So if you like it, wear it but do not put too much in it.

14. WATCHROCK Jan 21, 2019

Okay thanks for the support & help. I will go to the Shop again to pick it up tomorrow, then just let him kindly know.
    How much is this worth in this condition? - just out of curiousity.

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 21, 2019

Seconds hand is not original.
    Crown is not original (in my opinion, based on the photos).
    Dial has been harshly cleaned and I would have expected a coathanger "S" for a 63.

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 21, 2019

PS: Rounded S may be OK for 63.

17. WATCHROCK Jan 21, 2019

@JimInOz
    Great Feedback, Thanks.
    Yeah I figured now that the crown should be flatter like on the picture. I am pretty sure all the hands are from some other model after looking at it very closely. Would I have gotten told that no problem, especially for a fair price but I was not.
    Seems I got burnt badly.

Will go again to the Shop Seller tomorrow and let him know what he has to say since I need to go there to drop by to see how the service went on this watch...

030C9535-5421-4DEF-820F-1699F64EE1EC.jpeg
  18. WATCHROCK Jan 23, 2019

Will go today to the Watch Dealer Shop to see if the movement service worked as intended.
    Definitely paid my "Noob-Premium" for not doing my due dilligence a 100% but also learnt a lot from this case.
    I am quite dissatified finding out all these obvious flaws - Also feeling a bit dumbfounded lols...
    Will see how it goes and see what I can do and then update here again:)...

19. jimmyd13 Jan 23, 2019

There's something off about this: a plated case that's in that good a condition with a scratched up movement and badly faded dial? I'd be tempted to say that this is an assemblage of all the bad parts of two or three watches. Ask to see the one that has all the good bits in it.

20. WATCHROCK Jan 23, 2019

I went today to the shop for the serviced watch pick up and kindly explained the situation.
    The Seller defended himself but showed understanding and I got refunded the 650USD
    I paid for the watch.

Learnt a very good lesson here and how important it is to do ones homework.
    Especially gotta ask questions very very specific.
    Thanks god this forum saved me from this disaster! Thanks guys for your help and support.

Now I gotta learn to fish for a good starter piece around 300/400USD. Any good advice since I am Seoul, South Korea?

airansun likes this.