Forums Latest Members

HF-case vs CB-case, "correction" regarding caseband.

1. Peter Lundberg Sep 20, 2018

On the website for "Moonwatch Only" they state that "Please note that some of the 105.012-66 cases of La Centrale Boites have had this particularity removed. It is likely that the ledges were considered unattractive so that they were filed away in one or several polishing operations."

Since the 105.012 HF and CB are valued the same how would a partially removed caseband affect value of a otherwise very good sample?

BR
    Peter

2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 20, 2018

It would affect the value greatly. I would guess in the neighborhood of $2000 +-$500
    My CB
    2018-04-28 001.JPG

Andy K likes this.
  3. mr_yossarian Sep 20, 2018

"Otherwise good"..but lacking a distinctiv feature. What is your actual question? If it's gone it's gone. Buy a air cooled Porsche with a water cooling..see what you ask?

kingsrider likes this.
  4. Davidt Sep 20, 2018

The traditional CB case lines on the front of the lugs aren't the only way of distinguishing between the two models. The sides of the case and underside of the lugs are also different (several threads on this).

As such, it's relatively easy to tell when a CB case has been altered (even if the case back is lost/swapped) and it will have a very significant affect on value.

Crispy6, nonuffinkbloke, td69 and 2 others like this.
  5. airansun In the shuffling madness Sep 20, 2018

Or more. On a top end watch, the difference could be as much as $5k or more.

Pristine or not, some of us wouldn’t even consider a CB without the facets.
    A57CCDA5-AF3F-4C16-904D-75556C5B9463.jpeg

Edited Sep 20, 2018
    Crispy6, nonuffinkbloke, JanV and 2 others like this.
  6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Sep 20, 2018

I would contend that if the facet is removed, even partially, then the case is no longer very good. Value should decrease. I mean, a polished case would diminish the value of any vintage Speedmaster, but the CB case's main distinctive trait are those facets, so it would harm value more than similar polishing on other examples.

If you run across a watch that has a CB caseback, no facets, but the case is very good, then you probably have watch that is put together - i.e. a HF caseband and a CB caseback. Value should also decrease in that example.

And since we're showing off CBs, here's mine:
    IMG_0966.JPG

7. ndgal Sep 20, 2018

Facets are assets. An over polished watch is an over polished watch and its value is going to suffer no matter what reference (or even make) it might be.

8. boogedyboo Sep 20, 2018

The facets are the most important part of the CB case as they are very visible from the front when not polished.

When you say a 105.012-HF and CB are valued the same, are you referring to the price chart on speedmaster101? For me, I see the facets as a remarkable feature and would pay more. However, the quantum is subjective.

9. Dan S Sep 20, 2018

I feel that the CB vs. HF question is a matter of personal taste. I personally think the facets are cool and distinctive, but some people say they prefer the HF case. In my limited experience, there isn't a big difference in value, all things being equal.

But if the case is made by CB and the facets are gone, that's a damaged case, and the value is greatly diminished.

nonuffinkbloke, td69 and Spacefruit like this.
  10. aprax Sep 21, 2018

I've read in this article that only one third of the 105.012-66 cases were produced by HF, the rest is CB.
    If true, that would mean that the 105.102-66 HF is the rarer version and this should arguably be reflected in value?

Seacow likes this.
  11. boogedyboo Sep 21, 2018

I think the overall principle is that unpolished cases are more desirable over polished cases and the CB facets (or the absence thereof) are a very good indication of whether the case has been polished. It is slightly harder to tell if a HF case has been polished, to my untrained eyes at least.

This is especially true when judging a watch purely based on photos where people are more likely to jump on a polished CB case.

In summary, a CB case with facets adds credibility to an unpolished watch.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 21, 2018

Except HF did basically every other Speedy case. Making it somewhat unique.

Edited Sep 21, 2018
    eugeneandresson and mr_yossarian like this.
  13. mr_yossarian Sep 21, 2018

I wouldn't value a HF or CB higher but unpolished or just slightly is in fact the point. Completely rounded edges and loss of shape/texture can look very sad compared to a halfway or fully intact case with lines and textures.
    And it's very easy to spot once you have seen an intact case, don't worry :)

14. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 21, 2018

Consider this hypothetical question.
    Two Speedmasters laying side by side. Both are 105.012-66. One HF, one CB. Both of equal grade (good or collector). Pricing is identical (per Speedmaster 101).
    Which one will you choose to buy?

Any guesses how the numbers/responses will be split?

15. aprax Sep 21, 2018

No, I can't guess. Personally I would choose the HF, simply because I consider the CB facets a sloppy execution of what was expected of them. But of course I understand that the CB cases are in the minority of all lyre lug cases out there - though (as I pointed out previously) probably not of the -66 cases.

nonuffinkbloke and kingsrider like this.
  16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 21, 2018

Same can be said for chocolate dials....

kingsrider likes this.
  17. Vintagewtchzilla Sep 21, 2018

you see way more CB 66, than HF so i would prefer the hf

Choclate ,tropical, browny dials are simply damaged dial out of any production spec and would be thrown away in QA ::bleh::

18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 21, 2018

...hence a sloppy execution of what was expected of ‘them’ ;) And yet they cost stupid money (compared to a CB vs HF for the one or so years that CB were making cases)

19. Vintagewtchzilla Sep 21, 2018

back on topic .... CB vs HF and overpolished CB ..... would never buy an CB without facettes

eugeneandresson likes this.
  20. aprax Sep 21, 2018

Well, that’s a daring proposition. CBs cost „stupid money“ vs 66 HF??